The Student Room Group

Made a descision just need to figure how to get going

I've decided to leave my current uni (London Met) and with it the second year of my networking degree course.

Reasons being numerous and serious.

I am aiming to go Sheffield Hallam and after their admissions office weren't particularly helpful (guess I kept getting the wrong people) I got in touch with the head of the course and he said I should be eligible to get on the second year of their networking degree with the modules and good grades I have.

On the subject of Hallam being good for the course I will post in their forum but what I wanted to inquire with you guys is what I do with my current uni... I have basically stopped going with out contacting them or anything. It is really demoralising going there, not to mention enraging and so I just haven't... The question is how does this effect my changing uni's? Should I tell them I quit? Can you retake a year where you didn't sit the final exams (but did Januaries) in another university?

Also just one other question, does anybody know of any other really good universities where they do a good networking degree?

All constructive answers will be deeply appreciated.. I'm at the end of my tether..
What are the terms of your transfer?

MB
Reply 2
Think I understood what you meant..

Well at present I don't have any established terms with a university. For me, I wish to go to a university anywhere in the UK that does a very well taught/catered Networking Degree and that will let me go straight into the second year.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it :biggrin:
Ahmed85
Think I understood what you meant..

I don't think you did. Musicbloke was asking what terms the university you wish to transfer into has imposed on you. For instance, do you need to get particular grades in your end of year exams, or just pass them?

It does not seem to be a good idea to just ignore your current establishment.
Reply 4
As I said "at present I don't have any established terms with a university"

The head of the course said that the subjects and grades I already got from the first year are "fine".

Why would it matter if I ignore my uni? they are terrible and I really want nothing to do with them..

What I was really interested was if there was a penalty for taking a very similar course at a different institution and if my informing the current one would have any bearing on said penalty?

Thanks for the replies guys :smile:
Reply 5
You will need to:

get confirmation from Sheffield Hallam that they are accepting you, confirming which course and year of entry (you may need to go through UCAS to complete the transfer process, or they may be using the Record of Prior Acceptance option; either way you need to know)

formally tell your present uni that you are leaving; not only is this courteous but it is essential in order to get the admin right

contact the Student Finance people to (a) make sure that they don't continue to pay any tuition fees over to your current uni and (b) check your eligibility for future loans (you should be OK if you only need another two years, but you need to make sure)

There's no "penalty" as such for transferring; the main problem will be your eligibility for student loans. You will cause yourself more hassle by not telling your current uni what's happening, but there's nothing they can do to stop you.
Reply 6
Thank you very much Minerva :biggrin:

I don't need a load so that won't be a problem (I don't have one now either.)

I'll get on with hopefully getting transfered.

Latest

Trending

Trending