The Student Room Group

EPQ Source Evaluation (AQA) help !!

Hi, I've just finished my epq essay and have been told by my school that I also need to do a source evaluation.

Does anyone know if this would be included in the word count of 5000 words and should it be part of my essay/bibliography or on a separate sheet? As if it is included within the essay I thought it may be counted in the word count of the site turn-it-in which we have to submit to.

Also what exactly are you meant to talk about within the source evaluation, is it just how useful you found certain sources and why (I assume you don't have to assess every research source just a few).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't really been given any guidance thanks !
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Hello! I’m in the process of completing my EPQ too, hopefully this will help:
So how I will be approaching is that talk about mostly my primary research in my production log (assuming you have done it too, don’t worry if you haven’t as this is just an example). So this includes things such as how up-to-date it is (how long ago did I do it), how reliable is it? How did I minimise bias whilst I carried out the research. For sources such as articles online I would pick the ones that you have referred to the most and do the same. Just give a general overview of the rest and pick out any points you could make. The most important thing is though that you give both sides- don’t just say your sources are great, with any research you do, you have to point out the limitations. For example how relevant was the source? Did the source target a specific viewpoint etc?

So basically 1) state the source and say what information was gathered from it
2) strengths why was it useful
3) what were the limitations and how would you avoid that in the future?

With regards to referring to sources in the essay, I would only pick out the sources that really made your arguments and briefly mention what detail you obtained and what might lack in it but after that you can make a note saying that you have fully analysed it in the production log which will help lead the examiner into seeing the whole picture!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey, where exactly would you say this evaluation? Would it be in a separate paragraph at the end or should it be included with the bit where you reference the source?
Reply 4
Hi, it goes at the back of the report, on a separate piece of paper, so do it on a word/google doc and then print it off when your report is printed off/finished nearer the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest