The Student Room Group

A little advice

Hey guys,

i had a word with my head of sixth form today who quite blatantly told me that i may not be the right 'type' to do a Law degree (not quite sure how to take that!) but i think what she was trying to say was that because i'm quite quiet in lessons i may not like having to argue cases etc.

So anyway, i have decided to do Politics/philosophy then a conversion to Law. Would you say that that's the best way to go about it? (as i may find the a full Law course too intense)
Is is valued by employers?

I had already registered for the LNAT test before she told me this ( even when she knew i was taking it :mad: )

is there still any point in me doing the test?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

There's no point taking the LNAT if you are not going to take a law degree at any of the participating universities.

Arguing cases is a skill but it is really more to do with application than anything else. But on the arguments side you have then decided for politics/philsophy you say? Arguably, politics is more arguable than law!
Reply 2
NDGAARONDI
There's no point taking the LNAT if you are not going to take a law degree at any of the participating universities.

Arguing cases is a skill but it is really more to do with application than anything else. But on the arguments side you have then decided for politics/philsophy you say? Arguably, politics is more arguable than law!

lol you're always there to give advice aren't you? :smile:

Bsically, i think that a full course Law degree maybe a bit too intense, but if i'm doing a conversion wouldn't it be good that i had taken the LNAT test or is it pretty pointless?

I'm just not sure that i'll be good at arguing cases and role plays etc. Are you currently doing Law? How do you find it?
Your teacher is talking Complete rubbish!

If you want to study law, you do it! Your teacher is a nonse! I hate teachers who are so negative about your chosen career... :frown:

Seriously, If you think you are quiet, do a law degree and practice getting louder through moot courts, debates, etc...

If you want to study law, do it! Ignore your teachers.

Good luck!

Jason
Reply 4
THE PROPHETOR!
Your teacher is talking Complete rubbish!

Seriously, If you think you are quiet go do a law degree and practice getting louder through moot courts, debates, etc...

Jason

i was going to say that to her! and the fact that it's not always big tutorials, but small groups. Mind you, i didn't want to try and come across as a smart-ass:tongue:

i was absalutley devastated when she told me, it was like i had been punched in the stomach, as have so much passion for the subject.
Cellardore
i was going to say that to her! and the fact that it's not always big tutorials, but small groups. Mind you, i didn't want to try and come across as a smart-ass:tongue:

i was absalutley devastated when she told me, it was like i had been punched in the stomach, as have so much passion for the subject.

Exactly! It is the passion for the subject of law that admissions tutors want. Do what you want to do!!! Seriously though, its you who has to study law, not your teacher. Ignore her! What does she know? :wink:

Jason
Cellardore
lol you're always there to give advice aren't you? :smile:

I've been on here a bit often today :wink:

Cellardore
Basically, i think that a full course Law degree maybe a bit too intense, but if i'm doing a conversion wouldn't it be good that i had taken the LNAT test or is it pretty pointless?

It has been said that the conversion itself is more intense than a law degree. The main reason is that you study all the core modules in one year for the conversion, but you study law over three years for the degree usually. The main difference with the degree is that you have options to study for in your third year usually (sometimes second). However, this does not mean that all the time spent by a law student on the core modules over three years is the same as someone on the CPE in one.

Cellardore
I'm just not sure that i'll be good at arguing cases and role plays etc.

Have you tried reading some books on argumetive skills or have any interest in politics?

Cellardore
Are you currently doing Law?

Not yet.
Reply 7
i currently do Politics at the moment as an A level and i love it:smile:
I had done History at AS, which was basically about arguing your statement and doing role plays, stuff like that and to be honest, i didn't like it that much.
You have chosen good GCE 'A' levels. Government and Politics is probably a better subject to choose than history for arguing, sometimes it's not the actual exams which require it but what you learn during the course.
Reply 9
Cellardore
Hey guys,

i had a word with my head of sixth form today who quite blatantly told me that i may not be the right 'type' to do a Law degree (not quite sure how to take that!) but i think what she was trying to say was that because i'm quite quiet in lessons i may not like having to argue cases etc.

Don't be put off my what your teacher has said! How vocal you are in lessons has nothing to do with how well you will do in a law degree. I did govt. and politics A level and loved it...and im finding it SO useful atm in my Public course...If you don't really want to do law then don't by all means...but if it just what the teacher has said that has put you off then I'd seriously reconsider because it seems silly to spend the next 3 years regretting having chosen a degree when you really wanted to do another.
Reply 10
Lissy
Don't be put off my what your teacher has said! How vocal you are in lessons has nothing to do with how well you will do in a law degree. I did govt. and politics A level and loved it...and im finding it SO useful atm in my Public course...If you don't really want to do law then don't by all means...but if it just what the teacher has said that has put you off then I'd seriously reconsider because it seems silly to spend the next 3 years regretting having chosen a degree when you really wanted to do another.

i was really upset when she told me (it was a 'holding back the tears' moment) thinking that maybe i'm not clever enough to handle it.
Reply 11
Celladore,

I recommend that you ignore your teacher's advice. Your passion for the subject shines through on this forum, and I think that will carry you.

I had always been quite vocal in lessons at school, and carried this through in my degree studies. But this is by no means a requirement. First, there are people on my course who came to the uni being rather shy to speak their mind in front of others, but law school will, over the three years, turn you into a confident graduate. This will arguably be more so than other subjects. Secondly, you ought to realise that your degree is assessed through what you write, and has no advocacy component. It is perfectly possible to do well in your studies without being vocal, so it is by no means a requirement.

If I was in your position I would not be deterred from applying. Hell, I would walk right up to her and tell her exactly why she is wrong; perhaps that would prove to her that you have the cajones for the course. If you just sit back and tdo what she recommends then you will only risk proving her right...
Reply 12
In 20 years time when you're doing a job you hate you'll look out the window and despise yourself for letting one teacher ruin your career.

A Law degree doesn't force you to enter the field of Law, but it gives you the opportunity to. University is about change, who is to say when you're 21 and leaving clutching your Law degree that you aren't a different person?

Good luck, follow your dreams and ambitions... Not your head.

D xxx
Reply 13
hey, i've had those 'holding back tears' talks with teachers. Well actually i don't hold back.... just burst into tears intead. :biggrin: So i kinda know what you mean. i think that a good lawyer doesn't have to be an excessively vocal person. What matters is the content of what you say and write, and not necessarily how pushy you are with it (though it might help at times :tongue: )
If law really is what you want to do, don't let your teacher deter you. I'm sure that shyness is an obstacle that can be overcome, and a three year law degree will probably do that!
Reply 14
Cellardore
Hey guys,

So anyway, i have decided to do Politics/philosophy then a conversion to Law. Would you say that that's the best way to go about it? (as i may find the a full Law course too intense)
Is is valued by employers?

I had already registered for the LNAT test before she told me this ( even when she knew i was taking it :mad: )

is there still any point in me doing the test?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would tell your "teacher" to fcuk off and mind his own business. If you want to do law then do it.
Reply 15
Cellardore
Hey guys,

I also think your teacher has a TV vision of what the law is all about. There are 1000's of lawyers that hardly ever enter a courtroom to argue a case in their 40 year careers.

Law isn't all about big tort cases.
Personally, i also think you should tell your teacher to buzz off.
When it boils down to it, you know exactly what you want, not your teacher.
You should never let anybody interfere with your plans- I've not quite had the same experience but I did have a 'holding back tears' moment during a meeting with my head of 6th form (couple of years ago now)
He told me not to bother applying to a couple of my uni choices (Durham and LSE) because it was just too competitive for Law and I would probably be wasting two uni choices. They were my top choices so I was gutted but I decided to ignore his advice and follow my heart-
And i'm sitting here today at my first choice. Chuffed to get in and the feeling of satisfaction when I proved the teacher wrong was awesome :biggrin:
Seriously, go for it- you've got nothing to lose- and if you don't go for your first choice subject you'll always think 'what if' 'if only'
Reply 17
Laces
I've not quite had the same experience but I did have a 'holding back tears' moment during a meeting with my head of 6th form (couple of years ago now)
He told me not to bother applying to a couple of my uni choices (Durham and LSE) because it was just too competitive for Law and I would probably be wasting two uni choices.

That is exactly what my Politics teacher said, that i would be wasting two of my uni choices chosing LSE and Bristol. I was absolutely gutted.
Reply 18
So have you made up your mind as to what you're going to do?
Reply 19
muncrun
So have you made up your mind as to what you're going to do?

well my head of sixth form has asked to see me next week so i can sort out what i'm going to do as a degree. She told me that i should still do the LNAT test for some reason. But what i might do is Politics then a conversion to Law, she can't moan at me for doing that and by the end of it i'll still come out with a Law degree whether she likes it or not:tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending