The Student Room Group

The best advice I've ever been given!

Are you finding it hard to motivate yourself and feel like you spend all of your time guilty thinking about what you're putting off? Whatever stage of life you're in, and whether you apply this to studying or to daily chores, this advice helped me immensely:

'Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.'

If you can't bring yourself to study for hours, do half an hour. If you can't make yourself lunch for tomorrow, sort your dinner for tonight. If you can't do all the washing up, do the dishes and leave the cups for tomorrow. If you can't tidy your whole room, make your bed!

Giving yourself little rewards, such as watching an episode of a show after studying for a while, or speaking to yourself kindly can make all the difference. Saying 'I did the thing I was finding hard, I'm so proud of myself!' is a great tool in self-compassion.

Small consistent efforts are always worth it, and easier to keep up than big tasks. You got this, leave your best advice for motivating yourself below, I'd love to hear it!
Original post by Yipiyap_Brooke
Are you finding it hard to motivate yourself and feel like you spend all of your time guilty thinking about what you're putting off? Whatever stage of life you're in, and whether you apply this to studying or to daily chores, this advice helped me immensely:
'Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.'
If you can't bring yourself to study for hours, do half an hour. If you can't make yourself lunch for tomorrow, sort your dinner for tonight. If you can't do all the washing up, do the dishes and leave the cups for tomorrow. If you can't tidy your whole room, make your bed!
Giving yourself little rewards, such as watching an episode of a show after studying for a while, or speaking to yourself kindly can make all the difference. Saying 'I did the thing I was finding hard, I'm so proud of myself!' is a great tool in self-compassion.
Small consistent efforts are always worth it, and easier to keep up than big tasks. You got this, leave your best advice for motivating yourself below, I'd love to hear it!

Love this advice! Taking things little by little and one step at a time definitely makes daunting tasks feel more manageable :smile: That technique has helped me in the past!!

I'd echo the above and say if you're feeling overwhelmed and unmotivated, take yourself out of the environment you're in. Go for a walk, read your book in a different room, listen to some music and restart fresh when you feel you can. Don't be hard on yourself for muddling through the hards days - everyone has them!

Every day is a new day! :hugs:

Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending