The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I've heard that it's considerably harder from my teachers...as is probably the case with any subject. There's more info to learn and the questions are more complex. If you hate it, why are you continuing with it?
Reply 2
I kept Psychology to A2 and I'm glad I did. I'm doing AQA spec A, and come to think of it there probably isn't as much to learn as there was at AS. Module 5 is mostly (easy) synoptic and using your own initiave to apply approaches to different situations (such as why does Fanny want plastic surgery?) and Module 6 is coursework, which isn't too bad. Module 4 is the only module where there is a lot to learn and it's quite massive, but apart from that it's not too bad :smile:
Reply 3
Its not easier at all.
Reply 4
i was told you don't have to learn half as many studies - only theories?
(AQA Spec. A)
Reply 5
thats about right. You need studies for PYA4 but there are no key studies and no APFCC's you learn what you think you need to and the studies that you want to. PYA5 is a love it or hate it module. I personally hate it but i know alot of people who are enjoying it. Luckily i only need an E. Coursework is a gift, i never liked coursewrk but it took me 2 weeks and i got an A, tis a blessing. i would carry it on, don't let PYA4 put you off.

but then i suppose it depends on how your centre runs it. Some centres spend months of the coursework then try to do PYA4 and PYA5 in june, which is silly. We managed easily to PYA4 and coursework before christmas so now we've had jan - june on PYA5
Reply 6
Saying that though, if you hate the subject then you won't enjoy it at A2!
Reply 7
yep i shudnt have put hate- it's a strong word! just dislike the learning! theres way too much to learn - it takes all the interest and enjoyment out of the subject!
Reply 8
i think you have to enjoy the subject at least a little to carry on!
even if you don't like it at the moment do you find it interesting in general?
i'm on spec B at A2 and its definitely harder than AS. its all about debates and bringing in everything youve ever learnt so far from both years. the research methods bit is easy though- pretty much the same as AS.
Reply 10
i doubt it! theres 17 essays to learn for PYA4
Reply 11
It's more interesting but definitely more harder.
A2 OCR is way harder, way more boring, and.. longer.
i do AQA A specification
i wouldnt say it's easier, but it's a lot more interesting, i hated psychology at AS level and wanted to drop it, i got a low C, kept it and now im gonna take it at degree level

i had to learn that i cant spend my life avoiding homework though
I do AQA A Psychology, just finished the A2 Course, i'd say if you don't like AS then you definately won't like A2, things get a lot harder, and if you aren't interested in the AS stuff (which is generally pretty interesting and much easier) then when you come to do A2 then the sheer amount you need to know to get good marks will put you off i'd say! However, I love it because I want to become a psychologist, so it's just my area, but not for everyone.
Reply 15
I'm doing A2 on OCR and it is so much more interesting than at AS. But with it being more interesting, it also becomes harder as it's all essay questions and you have such a range of things to learn. x
Reply 16
I guess if A2 was entirely new topics (which i guess PYA4 is) and you happened just to not like the topics you did for AS then there's a chance you could find A2 more interesting if you didnt like the topics in AS... but I think PYA5 builds upon what we did in AS as its synoptic... well thats how it came accross to me! why learn tonnes of new studies if you remember the ones from AS lol :]
Reply 17
You think AS is hard wait till you start A2.

I did Spec A and I got 227 UMS (a good B) but I really am worried about my A2 exams.

Unit 4 is a BEAST!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO much to learn!
Unit 5 is not too bad, but still alot to learn!

The only good thing about A2 unit 4 and 5 is that is "relatively" easy to predict the questions. But again that ain't always safe to do!!!
the exams are harder but the topics are more interesting
there's more evaluation required

its all dependant on whether you're willing to do the work

but if you hate AS...
the synoptic paper does require a lot of AS knowledge - strange situ, milgram, zimbardo etc etc

good luck with it anyway
Reply 19
I really don't think you will. My friend is exactly the same. She only took it so she could have an extra subject for Uni and she's always hated it, even at the end of the A2 course.

A2 is slightly more interesting... well apparently the whole syllabus is changing in our school next year and they're doing supernatural topics and hyponsis and such, but no doubt it'll be a lot harder, always is in any subject at A2.

Latest

Trending

Trending