The Student Room Group

Which one of the sciences should i take for a levels??

So i’m in year 11 and have to choose my a level choices. I’m taking maths and psychology + one science but i’m not sure which one???
For any uni courses i’ve looked into they require one of the sciences + maths but idk which one i should take. I think it’s mainly between physics or chemistry , anyone who’s done both that can tell me which one is better??
Btw i got 887 in bio physics chem and don’t exactly ENJOY any one of the sciences. I was working at a 9 in chemistry but we move lol.
Reply 1
Original post by unknown20001
So i’m in year 11 and have to choose my a level choices. I’m taking maths and psychology + one science but i’m not sure which one???
For any uni courses i’ve looked into they require one of the sciences + maths but idk which one i should take. I think it’s mainly between physics or chemistry , anyone who’s done both that can tell me which one is better??
Btw i got 887 in bio physics chem and don’t exactly ENJOY any one of the sciences. I was working at a 9 in chemistry but we move lol.

\What degree?
Reply 2
If you dont enjoy any of the sciences, then can't you do maths psychology futher maths if you going down the maths route?
Or if you going down the psychology route then maths psych and biology would be best.
Daughter doesnt like biology much but had to do it to do zoology degree. So she did geography, psych and biology.
It really depends on what you want to do after you alevels.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
\What degree?

Not too sure but i’m leaning towards optometry/pharmacy or any medical healthcare career :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ghostlady
If you dont enjoy any of the sciences, then can't you do maths psychology futher maths if you going down the maths route?
Or if you going down the psychology route then maths psych and biology would be best.
Daughter doesnt like biology much but had to do it to do zoology degree. So she did geography, psych and biology.
It really depends on what you want to do after you alevels.

Well i’m not much of a maths person either😭😭😭 Further maths would be too much for me and i think i enjoyed science slightly more than maths. Tbh i enjoy english and other essay subjects such as history the most but they won’t be useful as alevels since i’m looking at a medical/healthcare degree :frown:
I also don’t hate science, i can tolerate it and study well but i wouldn’t say i look forward to it lol
Reply 5
Not too sure but i’m leaning towards optometry/pharmacy or any medical healthcare career :smile:

Check the unis/courses for their preferences.

If you're for any sort of medical healthcare career, then chemistry is probably your best option. Particularly for pharmacy, I'm pretty sure most places will want chemistry.

But if you're not a big fan of science, what's your motivation in looking at careers that are very science based?
Reply 7
Original post by Scotland Yard
If you're for any sort of medical healthcare career, then chemistry is probably your best option. Particularly for pharmacy, I'm pretty sure most places will want chemistry.

But if you're not a big fan of science, what's your motivation in looking at careers that are very science based?

Well i don’t hate science but i’m not exactly excited when i have to study it. I find that i’m suited to study/revise sciences because i like the way you study the subjects if you understand? For example memorizing content, applying it to questions with a specific answer is enjoyable but not the content itself lollll
I do like english but i wouldn’t want to do it as a career. I’m not sure how to explain but i like sciences because i know how to study for them and find them more doable than other subject imo. Also i now think i’ll be taking chemistry thank you!!

in that case i strongly suggest chemistry and maybe biology
Reply 9

I take all 3, I'd say only take physics if you truly enjoy it. I'd find out what spec your college/sf provide and then look at the subject specification, and see what you will learn. In my opinion, I've found chemistry to be an easier subject to understand, but everyone is different.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by rysua
I take all 3, I'd say only take physics if you truly enjoy it. I'd find out what spec your college/sf provide and then look at the subject specification, and see what you will learn. In my opinion, I've found chemistry to be an easier subject to understand, but everyone is different.

I take Biology, Chemistry and Maths and find it completely the other way round where I much prefer Chem. Is there any revision resources you can recommend for me to take a look at for chem (if you use any)? :smile:

It's genuinely just personal choice, I take Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Personally I prefer Biology but acknowledge Chemistry is often more highly valued in the medically profession and things, I also know quite a few people that enjoyed Chem so it's just whatever suits you best really!
Original post by manicured-mouse
It's genuinely just personal choice, I take Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Personally I prefer Biology but acknowledge Chemistry is often more highly valued in the medically profession and things, I also know quite a few people that enjoyed Chem so it's just whatever suits you best really!

I think i’ll be taking chemistry as it’s a core subject for lots of things! I personally found igcse biology was quite boring and not interesting for me as well as very mark scheme specific. I feel that at A level it would be even MORE boring so I’ve settled with maths chemistry and psychology :smile:
Original post by rysua

I just looked at the spec and i think it looks quite interesting ?? Igcse physics had interesting topics now that i look back on it, but i think i’ll take chemistry since it’s a subject needed for some uni courses. I’ll see when time passes tho!
Reply 14
I have taken physics and I think it's easy.
Reply 15
I just looked at the spec and i think it looks quite interesting ?? Igcse physics had interesting topics now that i look back on it, but i think i’ll take chemistry since it’s a subject needed for some uni courses. I’ll see when time passes tho!

Physics is a very interesting subject, but at A-level it can be more difficult to understand concepts, I guess? Some people in my class love it, others don't so it's truly down to what you think. You still have a long time to decide so maybe spend some time doing research, speak to teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest