The Student Room Group

Working for PGL?

Hi guys,

I'm moving down to Osmington Bay in the next couple of weeks as a field / activity instructor, wondering if anyone who's worked for PGL over summer or longer, at any centre, has any advice or experiences they've got to share?

I graduated last August and got a decent job related to my degree but was demotivated by the work. Thought a complete change of scenery in a subject I like is what I need for the rest of the year.

Scroll to see replies

Hi mate, I've applied for a job at PGL but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. How long did it take for them to reply to you? and how much experience with kids/being an activity instructor did you have before applying? Cheers
Hey mate,I got a response for a telephone interview a day after applying. I then chose a day for the call, the earliest one was a month in advance, but I assume that was due to the season starting. A month later, I had the interview and passed after a couple of questions. I’m just completing all the forms for medical, DBS and contracts with the training course staring in a couple weeks. As for experience, I had a quite bit as I worked as a swimming instructor and fitness coach throughout my degree, but I’m sure as long as you can justify your reasons why you want to work with kids / teen, understanding how to interact with them, you’ll be fine.
Original post by SammyLD
Hey mate,I got a response for a telephone interview a day after applying. I then chose a day for the call, the earliest one was a month in advance, but I assume that was due to the season starting. A month later, I had the interview and passed after a couple of questions. I’m just completing all the forms for medical, DBS and contracts with the training course staring in a couple weeks. As for experience, I had a quite bit as I worked as a swimming instructor and fitness coach throughout my degree, but I’m sure as long as you can justify your reasons why you want to work with kids / teen, understanding how to interact with them, you’ll be fine.

Cheers. One more thing - during your application, did you have to include any references? I read online that you have to include 2-3, but during the application I wasn’t asked to add any (I was only asked two question, “why do you want to work with kids” and “what work experience do you have”). Was this the same for you? Also, how were you contacted for an interview? I just got an email saying that my application had been withdrew because I never scheduled an interview, even though I was never asked to 😬
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nclapplicant101
Cheers. One more thing - during your application, did you have to include any references? I read online that you have to include 2-3, but during the application I wasn’t asked to add any (I was only asked two question, “why do you want to work with kids” and “what work experience do you have”). Was this the same for you? Also, how were you contacted for an interview? I just got an email saying that my application had been withdrew because I never scheduled an interview, even though I was never asked to 😬

After I applied, I recived an email directing me to a 'PGL portal' where you schedule yourself a telephone interview from a list of avaialble dates. Before your telephone interview, they'll be a pre-interview questionaire, which is where you include your references along with other informaton. As for the withdrawal, maybe the e-mail link to the application portal was sent to spam, another place or accidnetly deleted? Try contacting the recruitment team as there really helpful and can sort that out. Give me a shout if you have anymore questions!
Original post by SammyLD
After I applied, I recived an email directing me to a 'PGL portal' where you schedule yourself a telephone interview from a list of avaialble dates. Before your telephone interview, they'll be a pre-interview questionaire, which is where you include your references along with other informaton. As for the withdrawal, maybe the e-mail link to the application portal was sent to spam, another place or accidnetly deleted? Try contacting the recruitment team as there really helpful and can sort that out. Give me a shout if you have anymore questions!

Thanks so much for all of your help 😁 So you passed the interview and got the job before your references were confirmed? I've emailed PGL and they said that they've reactivated my application, hopefully I won't have to wait a month again for them to reply 😂. Do you remember any of the interview questions? I may even end up at Osmington Bay too :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nclapplicant101
Thanks so much for all of your help 😁 So you passed the interview and got the job before your references were confirmed? I've emailed PGL and they said that they've reactivated my application, hopefully I won't have to wait a month again for them to reply 😂. Do you remember any of the interview questions? I may even end up at Osmington Bay too :smile:

No worries, glad I could help.
I did thankfully, it's not like a typical interview, more just of a check to see if your suitable. The two I got was ''Why do you want to work for PGL?'' and ''What do you think good customer service is?'' and then the majority of the phone call was talking through the contract, job role and what to expect on the training course. I think the sooner you make yourself avaialbe the quicker you might get through all the motions, but that's just me assuming!
Does anyone know what to take/wear to the training week?
Original post by username1398393

hey where abouts are you? like which centre? i start my training on monday!
Original post by Barnesie2001
Does anyone know what to take/wear to the training week?

hey i start training next week! which centre are you at?
Apologies for reviving this thread

Has anyone worked in PGL?? how long is training for Activitiy instrutor/group leader? and were does the training usually taking place?
Original post by Quiet Benin
Apologies for reviving this thread

Has anyone worked in PGL?? how long is training for Activitiy instrutor/group leader? and were does the training usually taking place?

I worked as an AIGL at PGL Beam House. The training lasted 6 days for me but you could train anywhere there’s no set centre to train at, they’ll tell you the details of that when you’re close to leaving your home town for PGL :smile:
Original post by username4866442
I worked as an AIGL at PGL Beam House. The training lasted 6 days for me but you could train anywhere there’s no set centre to train at, they’ll tell you the details of that when you’re close to leaving your home town for PGL :smile:

and now i'm fired due to covid 19. It was a cliquey, nepotism job.

Hi, sorry I know this is late but I had a question about training. Do you know if there are set times training will be at or is it as inconsistent as I've heard usual working hours are? I booked something before I applied for the job and it's fallen during training, it's 1 hour away from the center I'll be working at, I'd have to leave at about 5:30/6 pm, do you think there is any chance of being able to go? No worries if you can't remember, thanks anyway.
Reply 14

Sorry to jump on this but I had my telephone interview yesterday. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you (bearing in mind they not back in the office until 2/1/24) ??
Original post by Ralphsmum
Sorry to jump on this but I had my telephone interview yesterday. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you (bearing in mind they not back in the office until 2/1/24) ??

Run son. Don't do it. They'll get back to you in a week.

PGL was the most cringiest thing i've ever done. Did it twice in Liddington and Marchants hill. Ruined my mental health
Reply 16
Why was it the most cringiest thing?
Why was it the most cringiest thing?

how did you get on with your interview?
Reply 18
Original post by abinorton1404
how did you get on with your interview?

I got the job
I got the job

when are you training! im doing this season too