The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick University - Eng Lit and Creative Writing

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about getting onto the course at Warwick; English Literature and Creative Writing.

I went to their open day and they said there is only 15 places and around 1000 applicants so I know I've got to make myself stand out to even get an interview!

I'm studying English Lit, History, French and Psychology at AS Level and hope to carry all 4 on next year (possibly dropping French if my exam goes terribly!!)

So if anyone had any idea what sort of things I could be doing/write on my personal statement that would be great.

I've always loved writing and have written from a very early age but I guess most applicants will be the same!

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am finishing first year on that course just now, i think its more like 30 people on the course with a thousand applicants for each place. I would say the best thing you could do would be to enter some of your work into competitions and see how you go, they seem to love it if you have won something or shown some initiative in getting your work seen out in the real world. On the other hand, i never did an interview, gave them a portfolio or had particularly amazing A levels and yet they still gave me a place, makes no sense really. I would say just do as much as you can to show that you have a passion about writing and English, enter competitions, see if you can do some work experience at a publishing house etc.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Oh wow, I think you are actually me! I'm doing almost exactly the same subjects as you (except that I do lang and lit *wince*), and this is the course I want to apply for as well! Those odds make me feel a lot less confident - I'd better start getting some stuff in competitions... good luck and maybe I'll see you there! :smile:
30 thousand people apply for one course...

that doesn't seem realistic to me.

yeah, think not mayte

"How many places are available? How many people apply for how many places?

On average, Warwick receives around nine applications for each place. Some degree courses have higher competition rates.

For the 2006/07 intake there were 29,509 applications for an intake of 3,390 places. The average A-level tariff of Warwick students is 361."

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/faqs/

even if there were 1000 applicants for every place that means that everyone applied for this one course you're applying for.

think not mayte.

don't be put off by any figure which is ridiculous for your application.

just try and you'll probably get a place :smile:
Totally Tom
30 thousand people apply for one course...

OP said 1000.... but yeh use the search there was a thread on this course just recently...
Reply 5
I'm hoping to start this course in September, provided my A-levels go well, of course.
In my personal statement I discussed my interest in English Literature and a range of modern and classical books and literary movements I had enjoyed reading, discussed my interest in creative writing, etc.
As reviresco said, entering work in competitions would be advantageous too.
Reply 6
andy_cole2
OP said 1000.... but yeh use the search there was a thread on this course just recently...

But reviresco said that there were 30 places with 1000 applicants for each ^^
Reply 7
my bad, i said a thousand for each place, i meant to say 1000 applicants for 30 places. apologies
my friend got an email where he had to reply within 24 hours of opening it, and had to submit a poem he wrote.
within 24 hours of him opening it, how would they know that he had opened it.

this is all surprisingly suspicious.

i wouldn't trust much thats been said in this thread.
Reply 10
Tom you dont seem to be too good at reading threads.
Reply 11
i'm hoping to start this course in september (grades permitting) and despite it being apparently so difficult to get into, i got rejected to do english from everywhere else except bristol! basically make sure you demonstrate your passion for creative writing, enter some competitions and stuff, get involved.
Totally Tom
within 24 hours of him opening it, how would they know that he had opened it.

this is all surprisingly suspicious.

i wouldn't trust much thats been said in this thread.

shut the **** up, what the hell would you know. how unnecessarily presumptious and ********ed of you to say. The uni uses smail and it alerts the user when an email has been opened by the recipient. is that ok or do you i need to provide you with source code from the company as well?
Reply 13
yeah, i got an email interview and when i opened it it said that an email had been sent back to the uni and i would have 4 days from opening it to reply, so what you think is 'suprisingly suspicious' is actually real i guess
Reply 14
I also had an e-mail interview as i couldn't make it to the real interview and i didn't think i had a chance of getting in by that stage! I only found out i'd been accepted at the beginning of May. I also didn't realise quite how competitive the course was. But my only advice is to be yourself, because i knew that i hadn't read many traditional 'english literature' books and so I just expressed an interest to further my studies, and I mentioned books i'd studied that i'd enjoyed and also the type of writing i did. I also mentioned that i used to belong to a poetry forum because i think that being able to take criticism of your work is quite important as well. Also make sure that you have suitable samples of your work because they will probably ask you for a portfolio. Good luck applying, and sorry if i'm rambling but i should probably be asleep!
andy_cole2
shut the **** up, what the hell would you know. how unnecessarily presumptious and ********ed of you to say. The uni uses smail and it alerts the user when an email has been opened by the recipient. is that ok or do you i need to provide you with source code from the company as well?

bitch.
Totally Tom
bitch.

lol my bad, exam stress + stupid remarks = annoyed.

your condescension given you know absolutely nothing about the topic was rather frustrating.
andy_cole2
lol my bad, exam stress + stupid remarks = annoyed.

your condescension given you know absolutely nothing about the topic was rather frustrating.

touchez, i didn't know that it existed.

point taken on board. figures in this thread looked made up anyways.
Reply 18
when they emailed me they said that they had had 800 applicants that year, only 100 got interviewed (email or in person) and that there were about 25 places
Reply 19
Thanks so much for all your replies.
I will keep an eye out for competitions definitely and see if I can get some work experience that would be help.
I have a little more confidence now so thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest