The Student Room Group

Plato's Similies :S

Hi is there anybody who can help me with the 3 main simlies in Plato's "The Republic". The 3 similies are: the similie of the sun, similie of the ship, and similie of the line. (I've already studied the cave)

Any help apreciated :biggrin:
L'expression des mes salutations dinstinguées
Simile of the Sun:
Socrates is asked by Glaucon what is the 'Good'. Since he only has opinion, not knowledge, Socrates refuses to answer, but says he will tell him what he thinks about 'the child of the good' i.e. the sun. Socrates starts by saying it is light which allows us to see, and since the sun is the cause of light, it is the sun which enables us to see. Thus, without the sun there would be no sight. Similarly, the form of the Good is like the sun (but in a different realm - the realm of the forms). Just as the sun causes light and sight in the 'visible order', the Form of the Good causes 'intelligence' in the mind. The good shines 'truth and reality' onto 'intelligible objects' (the other forms) and allows the 'mind's eye' to 'see' them. This gives knowledge and intelligence.
Since the Good id the cause of the 'intelligible objects' it is 'higher' and 'more splendid' than either 'knowledge and truth' or the other Forms.
The mind's eye (corresponding to the faculty of knowledge) cannot focus on the 'twilight world of change and decay'. It cannot have knowledge of this world - the world of sensation. We can only have opinion of this physical realm.
The sun is the'child of the Good' i.e. The Good gave birth to the sun
Reply 2
Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hey, just thought I'd point out that theres also the simile of the Beast. That came up as a part c) questions in one of the past papers so its probably best torevise that too :smile:
Reply 4
Oh i understood the beast. Another reference to soceity :P
Reply 5
The simile of the ship:
The captain of the ship, a powerful man but old/crippled - this represents society
The crew who are all arguing who should navigate - them bloody sophists!
True navigator, who is ridiculed for saying the stars should be studied - Philosopher (link with analogy of plant - not given right soil to grow)
Stars - knowledge/forms
"drunken pleasure cruise" - hedonism (which is wrong!)
thats pretty much it i think?

Latest

Trending

Trending