The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Uni choice

I have to choose between Aston, Uni of Southampton and Uni of Kent. All for the same course of Biological Sciences. I’m not sure what the Uni life is like for any of these. If you could give me any information on their diversity, general student life as well as living costs that’d be great! I will very much appreciate any information on their science facilities also!
Original post by Kelvin8041
I have to choose between Aston, Uni of Southampton and Uni of Kent. All for the same course of Biological Sciences. I’m not sure what the Uni life is like for any of these. If you could give me any information on their diversity, general student life as well as living costs that’d be great! I will very much appreciate any information on their science facilities also!

Hi Kelvin,

Aston is massively diverse, during my time here as a student i made friends with people from Germany, Spain, France, Japan and Brazil along with people from all over the UK of different races, genders and backgrounds. Student life is really subjective, but I had a blast and joined a number of societies which lent itself to a lot of nights out and house parties, however if you're looking for something a bit quieter then there are plenty of clubs and societies to get stuck into whatever your interests.

Living costs outside of London tend to be relatively similar across the UK, to give you a general idea, on campus accommodation runs between £142 to £159 per week, however there are cheaper off campus alternatives. A bus ticket will run you £2.40 and Birmingham ranked in the top ten cheapest places in the UK to buy a pint at an average of £2.87.

We have a great selection of science facilities, unfortunately I studied psychology so i only have a rudimentary understanding of the equipment but I’ve photographed a number of labs containing faraday cages, £10,000+ microscopes, level 2 biosafety labs along with the typical Bunsen burners and closet of chemicals you would expect.

Any questions, just give me a shout.
Josh
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest