The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haha graemematt you just got there before me!

The same % of students get AAABB at Higher as get AAA at A-Level, so really, we have it harder!
mattbroon
I am really struggling to choose which University to study medecine at. My initial thoughts were Edinburgh, but i have been told that Dundee has an amazing medical school. I am going to an open day next month at Dundee.

I was also considering Glasgow, Aberdeen or St Andrews but i really am not sure. Then I was thinking of maybe trying my luck and applying to Cambridge, but i am not sure if that would be a wasted space as you can only use 4 spaces for UCAS.

i am hoping to become a doctor in the USA when I am older, so which Uni is most prestigious in the international scene, and which is best for medecine?

Thanks

International prestige is not that relevant if you're doing medicine ultimately what matters is teaching quality. As said in this forum, differences in reputation are unlikely to affect your chances of having a successful career.
In terms of actual credit for their medical course, all Scottish universities are good on an international level. Edinburgh tends to be seen as the best Scottish medical school (at least where I come from), but I suspect it may have been overtaken by other schools, such as Aberdeen and Dundee, which are among the top 5 for medicine in this year's Good University Guide. I wouldn't recommend Saint Andrews purely because of its approach (academically and clinical quite divided), plus chances are you would have to move to Manchester after year 3.
My personal suggestion is either Dundee or Aberdeen, but don't forget you should decide which course fits your learning style best (and there are good unis south of the border too).
Svefngenglar
I wouldn't recommend Saint Andrews purely because of its approach (academically and clinical quite divided), plus chances are you would have to move to Manchester after year 3.

This isnt the case anymore, students now apply to other Scottish universities to do their clinicals. I personally would recommend St Andrews as it's just such an amazing place to study, everyone loves it and it's become an integral part of many people's lives, even post-graduating :smile: At least go visit! You'll not look back :biggrin:
graemematt
You'll not look back :biggrin:

...as you are running away after being horrified by the "you WILL do 9-5 science every day for 3 years and you WILL enjoy it!" open day talk :rolleyes:

But then you miss your train cos the lecture overran and then you do look back, shaking your fist.:mad:
BlueRoses
...as you are running away after being horrified by the "you WILL do 9-5 science every day for 3 years and you WILL enjoy it!" open day talk :rolleyes:

But then you miss your train cos the lecture overran and then you do look back, shaking your fist.:mad:

Haha, they told you that?! Pfft. Medics I know there are well lazy :p: Although yes it's harder than before (as you do an Hons degree now), it's hardly 9-5. It's the chemistry students who do the 9-5. Oh man, do they work. Morning labs and afternoon lectures Monday-Friday. Urgh...
Svefngenglar
II wouldn't recommend Saint Andrews purely because of its approach (academically and clinical quite divided), plus chances are you would have to move to Manchester after year 3.

I'm looking forward to experiencing small town and big city life. One reason I choose St A's was the opportunity to study in two places. Not to mention the dissection, great course and high ratings by students.

As graemematt said, apparently St As medics have it easier than the chemists or biologists.
Reply 26
It is all so confusing. I really want soewhere with a good nightlife too.

Where is the best in Scotland for a decent nightlife?
mattbroon
It is all so confusing. I really want soewhere with a good nightlife too.

Where is the best in Scotland for a decent nightlife?

I'd guess Edinburgh.
glasgow is an amazing city to live in and i'd say it's much more of a student friendly city than edinburgh. plus cheaper flat = more beer :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending