The Student Room Group

Graphical calculator needed for mechanical engineering?

Hi, I'm looking to study mechanical engineering at uni next year and just wanted to know if a graphical calculator is needed in the course at all. If so, I could get one now and be able to use it on the course but also in my maths A-Level exam.
It's not needed, and it's very unlikely you would be permitted to take a graphing calculator into an exam. Outside of an exam anything you could do on a graphing calculator you can do easier and better in MATLAB so it's a bit redundant.

If you are able to and/or should get one, they will tell you when you start the course. Anecdotally though while I was doing engineering, I think I used my graphing calculator like twice in 3 years...
Reply 2
ah okay, I don't think I'll bother for now then if it's not super required because some of them can get really expensive. I have a calculator capable enough already for everything other than graphing so should be okay. thanks
Original post by artful_lounger
It's not needed, and it's very unlikely you would be permitted to take a graphing calculator into an exam. Outside of an exam anything you could do on a graphing calculator you can do easier and better in MATLAB so it's a bit redundant.

If you are able to and/or should get one, they will tell you when you start the course. Anecdotally though while I was doing engineering, I think I used my graphing calculator like twice in 3 years...
Original post by Bobak2000
Hi, I'm looking to study mechanical engineering at uni next year and just wanted to know if a graphical calculator is needed in the course at all. If so, I could get one now and be able to use it on the course but also in my maths A-Level exam.

It wasn't need on my mech eng course and I am not aware of anyone who had one. For producing graphs outside of exams there are much better options, like Excel or Matlab.

Quick Reply

Latest