The Student Room Group

Social Life

I understand that if I want to study medicine at university, my social life shouldn't be my number 1 priority. However, I want to enjoy my time at university (obviously while still doing as well as I can) and was wondering if any medical students could tell me how much time they get a week to go out and enjoy after their work is done. Thanks alot.:smile:
Reply 1
im not a med student (yet - hopefully!) but when my sister was at uni, she said it seemed like her med student mates spent more time in the SU bar than everyone else! obviously thats a bit of an exaggeration but being a med student doesnt mean you have to say good bye to ur social life altogether (especially in the initial yrs), although its up there as one of the most demanding courses, if u manage ur tym well there's no reason why u wont be able to let loose too!
Reply 2
It depends on what you consider "work is done" status to be. :wink: It would be quite possible, certainly at Cambridge, to think that you've never quite done enough and there's always something else you can be learning/working on. But in reality most of us have almost as much time as most other subjects, or in some cases more depending on the stage of the course. Yes, there's a lot of work, but if you want a social life, it's there for the taking.
Yeah, i think it's something like Med students now how to work, but also know how to party
Reply 4
pretty much. When we need to work, we work ****ing hard, but then we do have some ridiculous parties.
Reply 5
Varies from every night a week, to not at all!
Reply 6
Depends really.

I think it's fair to say that I was out 5/7 a week in first and second year but that's dropped to 2-3/7 in third and forth.
Reply 7
depends on how many friends you have, how many clubs you do, how well you want to do in exams, how much you need to revise, how well you manage your time, how bad your hangovers are, how much money you have.....

our modules in yrs 1 and 2 (at BL) are about 4 or 5 weeks long, so in the first few weeks of each module people are sociable most nights, and then in the last couple, people stay in more and perhaps do some work.
Reply 8
Thanks for the help. It's reassuring to know I won't have to spend every night working (thats if i get in:wink:).
Reply 9
Depends what you mean by work is done. You can never do all the work and get everything perfect like you can in school, you've just got to make a personal decision about what is 'enough'. Some people seem to spend all their time finding jobs for themselves and just going and going when really they should just get it done adequately and relax a bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending