The Student Room Group

UCL audiology VS CITY UNI OF LONDON optometry

hello, I have received offers from ucl audiology and city uni of London optometry. im struggling to pick as I cannot decide what course Is better. im not sure what optometry entails and ive heard it results in loads of pressure working in retail. and im also unsure if ucl has a social life, which is really important to me as im going to be away from home and im worried about making friends. would really appreciate any advice!!!!
Original post by fxrahis
hello, I have received offers from ucl audiology and city uni of London optometry. im struggling to pick as I cannot decide what course Is better. im not sure what optometry entails and ive heard it results in loads of pressure working in retail. and im also unsure if ucl has a social life, which is really important to me as im going to be away from home and im worried about making friends. would really appreciate any advice!!!!

I’d say UCL. It s a russel group uni, making it more likely to get a higher paid job just because that piece of paper will say UCL lol
Original post by fxrahis

Best advice I can give is to choose the career path you want to go in more as it most likely doesn’t matter which uni you go to for both careers as both have demand irrespective of the university you attend.
Well do you want a career in ears or a career in eyes? That might be somewhere to start!

For healthcare professions like audiology and optometry, if the course is accredited then where you study matters not one jot. The main employers are either going to be the NHS (who don't care) or high street places like Boots and so on (who also don't care if you went to Oxbridge or anywhere else).

Social life at uni is invariably what you make of it. At any university you can have the most outgoing social life possible, and equally you could end up having no social life at all. It's wholly dependent on you and what you do to get involved and make things happen - if you just sit waiting for someone else to arrange social outings and to start conversations then you won't have much of a social life at all, at any uni!
I've also got an offer from UCL audiology too!!
Reply 5
congrats on your offer! didn't think id find anyone else doing this course:smile: how likely is that you will accept it and are you local to London ? Im not sure what accommodation halls to consider for ucl

Original post by nosaj0530
I've also got an offer from UCL audiology too!!
Original post by fxrahis
congrats on your offer! didn't think id find anyone else doing this course:smile: how likely is that you will accept it and are you local to London ? Im not sure what accommodation halls to consider for ucl

congratulations to you too!! i think i will 100% firm it, and I am an international student. It's rare to find someone doing the same course with me haha
Reply 7
Hey I got an offer from UCL for audiology and I also firmed it too. I’m excited to be studying at UCL😀
Reply 8
Hey me too!!! Hope to see you there
Reply 9
Original post by It’s ok
Hey me too!!! Hope to see you there

congrats!
Reply 10
I am firming UCL for Audiology as well . Neither UCL or City of London have a campus so the uni life will probably very similar and depending of where you live . My sister studied for a year at City of London a couple of years ago and a lot of lectures were still online , she stayed in London but wasn't really worth it , could have easily commuted . That's a big difference between the Audiology and Optometry , I think Optometry tends to be more competitive but good luck whatever you choose .

Quick Reply

Latest