The Student Room Group

How do I move from working in Further Education to working in a secondary school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Constantine02
I have a degree in English Literature and History. I've applied to teaching agencies mainly because I thought it might help if I build up my experience in schools first.

Definitely a good idea!!
Reply 21
Original post by Constantine02
Thanks. It's mainly because of the lack of job security in FE. There are hardly any full time permanent contracts, with most being sessional work. I would love to carry on working with adult learners but the job prospects just aren't there.

But, be warned. Secondary school teaching is very stressful and i don't think it is worth doing. It might be better to look more broadly at doing something different. Locksmiths, plumbers, electricians, gas fitters are better paid and have less stress for sure.
Original post by mgi
But, be warned. Secondary school teaching is very stressful and i don't think it is worth doing. It might be better to look more broadly at doing something different. Locksmiths, plumbers, electricians, gas fitters are better paid and have less stress for sure.

Not entirely sure the OP is considering an alternative career as a gas fitter, but an interesting idea nonetheless :lol:
Original post by mgi

Maybe the OP is passionate about education and children, these people do still exist you know. Have a day off with teacher bashing.
Reply 24
Original post by bwilliams
Maybe the OP is passionate about education and children, these people do still exist you know. Have a day off with teacher bashing.

Not many exist any more apart from you. Do you teach about 20 lessons in an inner city school like many teachers do? Thats why there is a recruitment crisis on schools and supply teachung agencies are making good money! Don't listen to the hype people; avoid being a teacher. Teaching in secondary schools is not a profession. Avoid!
Reply 25
Original post by Reality Check
Not entirely sure the OP is considering an alternative career as a gas fitter, but an interesting idea nonetheless :lol:

Yes ,that's exactly what a teacher friend of mine did last year; the money is much better and the stress is much lower. Come on all you teachers out there; retrain for something else and leave teaching to the governments's MPs. lol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending