The Student Room Group

Fainting in Exam.. Now UCAS?

I took the subjects Eng Lit, Psychology, History && Maths, and I'm in year 12.
I've just been taking my AS's (Finished today - Woo:biggrin:)
But there was a problem in my 2nd exam, which was Psychology.
I fainted.

I fainted 20 minutes into the exam, and I hit my head quite bad on the floor.
What they did was gave me 40 mins extra at the end (time I was recovering), and sent a letter off with my exam. But, I found I couldn't concentrate for more than a question. There was a question about minority influence and I wrote about bullying for example.. I can't even see where I was going with that seeing as I know it's Moscovici! But, you see where I'm coming from.. I couldn't concentrate whatsoever.

I want to apply to Cardiff Law, so 3 A's are needed.
I was aiming for a max of an E in Maths
I've done well in Eng Lit (Touch wood)
and History only went okay.

I'm blatantly not going to get the 3 A's
and part of it is because of me fainting.

What's going to happen when I apply to uni?
Do I have to put the grades I get on my UCAS form?
Or do you put GCSE results and predicted grades?(That's what someone told me :s-smilie:?)
I'm confused!!

Help!
xx
you can just put your grade as pending.
this year you have to put them on your ucas form!
however there is always retakes and you'll probably get your marks bumped up a bit because of the fainting saga!
you could even string it out loads and say it was due to stress and you felt similarly in all your exams but not quite as bad: free marks :smile:
Reply 3
You will have to put the grade you get (afaik).
Get your teacher to write a favourable reference explaining why you did badly and that it will be unlikely to reflect on your final results.

I messed up one of my subjects and got a D, wanted to apply to courses requiring a B. My teacher wrote me a good reference and I got offers from all the uni's I applied to and there's now a high chance of me getting that B, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.
But I surely can't put all of my results as pending?
How will they know whether to give me an offer or not?
Reply 5
with my school they didnt cash in our AS results so in august wen we got our results it was just a mark out of 100 for each unit that u added up urself to find out what you got as a grade. When it came to ucas we had to put all results as pending becuase technically our grade didnt exist as we hadnt cashed in any results. Our school did this coz they knew a lot of people would retake so this way we could and still get into good unis. When you write pending your school write predicted grades for you in your reference, e.g i got predicted AAB and have got offers from places like UCL and Kings. So check with your school and see if they cash in you results. Hope this helps... :smile:
my mate had a panick attack today in her AS History Exam and had to be rushed straight to the doctors. They are going to write her a note and also our teacher has matched her predicted grade alongside a person with same predicted grade and whatever they get in the exam, she will be rewarded with that. I dont know if that is completely fair, say for example if the person did really bad or even really good, thats not to say that she would have got the same under exam conditions, but thats what they are doing anyway

Maybe you could do the same?
Reply 7
hi. go and speak to your exams office in your 6th form/college. i took my a levels two years ago and im not sure if this is still the case but what i did was decline my as level grades. this means you dont accept them. rather then declining once you should decline all of them. this then gives you the right to put only your predicted grades on the ucas form. i got 6 out of 6 offers my doing this so the universities dont hold it against you. hope that helps. also in terms of predicted grades speak to your teachers and explain your situation, they should understand and give you better predicted grades. :wink:

good luck
Reply 8
pencilcase
hi. go and speak to your exams office in your 6th form/college. i took my a levels two years ago and im not sure if this is still the case but what i did was decline my as level grades. this means you dont accept them. rather then declining once you should decline all of them. this then gives you the right to put only your predicted grades on the ucas form. i got 6 out of 6 offers my doing this so the universities dont hold it against you. hope that helps. also in terms of predicted grades speak to your teachers and explain your situation, they should understand and give you better predicted grades. :wink:

good luck

You can't decline grades any more

:juno:
Reply 9
Juno

oh right, in that case i would contact the university and see what they suggest. ive had quite a few extenuating circumstances myself and unis are pretty understanding.
Reply 10
yeah speak to college, also you can just retake that one exam either in Jan or June. As long as the Unis now why you retook it, should be fine.
Reply 11
Juno

You cant?!
Reply 12
Maybe situations like this make a case for being able to just put pending on the UCAS forms again.
Reply 13
Reue
You cant?!

Well done! If you continue reading this well, you might get to move onto Peter and Jane books soon!

Reply 14
Juno
Well done! If you continue reading this well, you might get to move onto Peter and Jane books soon!

Pathetic
Reply 15
Reue
Pathetic

i know you are :smile:

Reply 16
Juno
i know you are :smile:

LMAO!!!!