The Student Room Group

I am a diagnostic radiographer - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Clara1359
Can you work part time and 9-5 shift as MRI radiographs?

There are units that run 9-5, yes, but some will be looking to move to longer days in the next few years. Part time is fairly easy to get.
Hi I’m currently doing a diagnostic radiography degree. I have a young child and am a single parent. How realistic would it be to not work nights straight from being qualified? I’m getting quite worried about how I would manage night shifts if I can’t find childcare. Many thanks
Reply 42
Original post by Camstar678
Hi I’m currently doing a diagnostic radiography degree. I have a young child and am a single parent. How realistic would it be to not work nights straight from being qualified? I’m getting quite worried about how I would manage night shifts if I can’t find childcare. Many thanks

You only work nights in acute hospitals. Smaller units (community hospitals, diagnostic hubs, minor injuries) and most private sector providers are days only.
Reply 43
Hi,
Im currently a diagnostic radiography student and I was wondering if you have advice around job interviews for radiography and specifically what questions they might ask and how to answer them.
do you think radiographers are in demand? i live in scotland and am worried that i wouldn't be able to find job in either diagnostic/therapeutic radiography after graduating without needing to move. i have unconditional offers for both at the moment!
Original post by pinkribbonscars
do you think radiographers are in demand? i live in scotland and am worried that i wouldn't be able to find job in either diagnostic/therapeutic radiography after graduating without needing to move. i have unconditional offers for both at the moment!

There is a national shortage of both types of radiographers so you won't be short of a job. With diagnostic you will have a greater choice of job location as there are imaging services in most hospitals. For therapeutic, job locations would be limited to cancer centres that offer radiotherapy treatment so you may have to travel further. However, the shifts for therapeutic radiographers are more attractive as they are usually between the hours of 8 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday.
Reply 46
Original post by LouyLou
Hi,
Im currently a diagnostic radiography student and I was wondering if you have advice around job interviews for radiography and specifically what questions they might ask and how to answer them.

Hi, band 5 job interviews will typically ask about workload management, basic patient care, health and safety, infection control, dose reduction techniques, when to ask for senior advice, your responsibilities under IRMER, conflict etc. As well as the usual tell me about yourself/why do you want to work here/Trust values questions.
any tips on how to write a great personal statement? i'm applying for the pre-reg masters, hopefully at liverpool
Original post by FXX
Hi all
I thought I'd open up a thread for any questions that anyone has about being a diagnostic radiographer.
About me: I have been qualified for over seven years now and recently got a job as an advanced practitioner in MRI and CT. I still occasionally work in x-ray as well.
I'm happy to answer any questions about the career, whether you are just looking into doing radiography, are currently a student, or perhaps recently qualified and have something on your mind.
This might include things like applying for jobs, Band 5/6/7 interview tips, career options, NHS vs private sector, and so on.
I'm probably less useful at helping with university applications but I'll do my best where I can and I'm sure others will chip in too.
I will try to be as objective and honest as possible as I've always found useful information can be difficult to come by, especially when I was originally applying for the course. I won't just be selling the job onto everyone!
Fire away!

Hi there,

I'm due to qualify soon however after hours and hours on applications I have not been successful for band 5 positions as a diagnostic radiographer. I have had one interview and not successful I keep feeling stressed that I am behind as everyone has already jobs lined up after qualifying in the summer. Is this universal and is it because they rather recruit as a newly qualified person or do I need to improve my CV and personal statement more🧐
Original post by saarah2018
Hi there,

I'm due to qualify soon however after hours and hours on applications I have not been successful for band 5 positions as a diagnostic radiographer. I have had one interview and not successful I keep feeling stressed that I am behind as everyone has already jobs lined up after qualifying in the summer. Is this universal and is it because they rather recruit as a newly qualified person or do I need to improve my CV and personal statement more🧐

If you are still at uni, got to the careers advice service and ask the staff to have a look through your CV and covering letter. Also ask if they can give you any interview advice or even a mock interview. :smile:
Hi, I am an alevel student and i wanted to do medicine but due to the stress i have decided to take a step back. I know you have answered this before but i was wondering if you could go into more detail. I really struggle with physics and it is my weakest science i got a 4 which is equivalent to about a D or a C in the past grading. where as in my Bio and Chem i achieved a 9 which is equivalent to an A*. How much physics it required at the university level even if you don't use it much in the actual day to gay job. Multiple places i have looked have said they dropped out due to physics and it's making me worried that made diagnostic radiography isn't for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending