The Student Room Group

Reue's TV Licensing FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Weird question but if I rig up my laptop to a tv to watch iPlayer, would we need a license then as we would be watching TV on an actual tele
Sir_Vile_Minds
Weird question but if I rig up my laptop to a tv to watch iPlayer, would we need a license then as we would be watching TV on an actual tele

It's only live/almost live TV that you need a TV licence for.
Reply 202
Insanespana
Quick question, we currently have a tv license for our shared house which unfortunately ends at the end of may when we wont be moving out until end of june. This is all due to an error I assume on our part, as we didn't realise that purchasing a 12 month license on the 27th June would in fact only provide us with a 11 month one. As we haven't got around to contacting tvla, would we have a good case if they challenge us in June with the claim we paid for 12 months even if our license end date doesn't state it? (we have the receipt with the date of when we purchased the license)

One of those rare occasions where i'd actually recommend you contact them. Ideally sooner rather then later.
Reply 203
Sir_Vile_Minds

Only if you're using it to watch live streams
Reue
One of those rare occasions where i'd actually recommend you contact them. Ideally sooner rather then later.

I emailed them and they replied with the statement:

"TV licences are issued subject to terms and conditions laid down by the Licensing Authority, in accordance with the Communications Act 2003. New TV Licences are always dated to expire twelve months from the first day of the month in which they were bought. When renewed the original expiry date is retained. This can mean that the first TV Licence may run for less than 365 days. The licence starts from the day it was purchased"

Which basically means that because we didn't know the rules when we bought our licence, we've been short changed out of a whole month. I now don't know what to do. Obviously we are due to be living in our house for a month after of TV licence expires and although I personally won't be living there, I know at least one of my housemates will. But I really don't want us to have to pay for a whole months extra for a tv licence (can you even pay for just one month?) when I definitly wont be watching tv.

But I have a feeling my housemate who will be living there wont take kindly to a suggestion of her just not watching tv (especially as we've paid 12 months for a virgin phone/tv/broadband package).

So it's either pay the licence, or risk having a month without a licence, knowing full well that the tvla will know we don't have a licence if we don't renew it....
Reply 205
Insanespana
or risk having a month without a licence, knowing full well that the tvla will know we don't have a licence if we don't renew it....

The tvla know I dont have a licence, despite having several television sets and a Virgin Media TV+ package... Do you really think that means they are going to even visit my property? Let alone actually get a conviction.

Im not telling you to break the law, nor have I really suggested that I do myself..... just that it is very unlikely you would get caught/charged unless you actually admitted guilt.
Reply 206
Reue

Hey, I thought I had everything straight, but turns out I had one thing wrong... the lock thing. Might be worth putting that in to to FAQs (the fact that locks do not affect license requirement, only what type of tenancy you have) cause I know that pretty much every other student I know thought it did, and I bet they catch out an awful lot of people that way!

Thanks very much, not that I'm gonna be watching TV in my room anyway, but it's important to know where you stand with this kind of thing, especially since they try to bully you into getting scared and buying one when you don't need it.
Reply 207
kpwxx
Hey, I thought I had everything straight, but turns out I had one thing wrong... the lock thing. Might be worth putting that in to to FAQs (the fact that locks do not affect license requirement, only what type of tenancy you have) cause I know that pretty much every other student I know thought it did, and I bet they catch out an awful lot of people that way!

It already says in the FAQ when you do/dont need your own licences. The whole locks thing is an urban myth and not mentioned on their website anyway..so not sure how it's started.
Having read 90% of the thread, I've a feeling I can guess what the answer to this'll be, but wanted to ask anyway:
I'm going to be moving into a shared flat where there'll be one tv that we'll only use to watch dvds on. Should I tell the tvla and ask for a declaration of not needing a license, or is it best just to leave it?
Reply 209
sparklysparkles
Having read 90% of the thread, I've a feeling I can guess what the answer to this'll be, but wanted to ask anyway:
I'm going to be moving into a shared flat where there'll be one tv that we'll only use to watch dvds on. Should I tell the tvla and ask for a declaration of not needing a license, or is it best just to leave it?

Do not contact them.

I cannot stress this enough. By contacting them you are just providing them with a direct correspondance and they may attempt to send an inspector round to get into your flat.

You do not need a licence and are under no legal obligation to inform them of this.

Its like if you dont have a car.. do you call up the DVLA to inform them that you wont be requiring a tax disc each year?
Reply 210
I purchased my TV licence on 5th October ish 2009, my licence says I am covered until 30th September 2010. Moved out now and someone else transferred their licence to our new house. Moved out on July 1st and my reciept of this says that. Presumably I can't ask for 3 months licence fee back?
Reply 211
dhr90
I purchased my TV licence on 5th October ish 2009, my licence says I am covered until 30th September 2010. Moved out now and someone else transferred their licence to our new house. Moved out on July 1st and my reciept of this says that. Presumably I can't ask for 3 months licence fee back?

I believe if you are a student you can claim back 3 months of an un-used licence. This is one of the rare occasions where i'd recommend actually contacting them.
Reply 212
What are the chances of getting caught not having a licence?
Reply 213
iBrass
What are the chances of getting caught not having a licence?

Depends if you admit it to them.
Last year they sent several busy body letters banging on about getting a TV License, and that you need one.

They all went in the bin, and no one ever saw an inspector come rolling through the gaff.
Quick question.

I do now require a licence (fffffffffuuuuuu) but when I try to set up a direct debit online, it says that it's going to take out a whole year's tax (£145) in 5 months, despite me requesting it be taken monthly. Does the licence run from March to March, and you have to pay for a full year, despite only having 6 months left of the year, or is their website just trying to con me out of money?

I can't seem to find an answer to this online, and I really don't want to contact them if if possible.

[EDIT] I seem to have found the answer - the TVLA appear to just want to con me out of money:
Why are my payments so big when I opted to pay monthly to spread the cost?

With our Direct Debit scheme you pay for your first licence within six months, rather than 12. This means that payments are around £24 to begin with. (There may be times when we have to spread the cost into four or five monthly instalments. This means the monthly amount will be slightly higher, but the total amount would be the same).
After you've paid for your first licence, you'll pay for your licences in 12 monthly instalments of just over £12.

But I don't want to pay for a year and a half's TV tax for 12 months of viewing :mad:

Fascists.
Reply 216
SirAlexander
Hey, thank you for your guide!
I know you've answered this question (!!) but can you confirm that when I'm at university I can watch programmes on catchup sites such as iPlayer, 4OD, ITV etc? I just don't want to get into trouble! haha

Thankss

Long as they aint live, you dont need a licence.
Reply 217
So as long as you're watching live TV on a device that is not plugged in to a power socket, you're covered by your parent's licence. So if I were to use my Netbook, does that mean that:

A) I can plug it in to charge, when NOT watching TV
B) Can I plug an ethernet lead in to get internet access? As it only states a power outlet.

Thanks for any help.
Reply 218
Trinitron
So as long as you're watching live TV on a device that is not plugged in to a power socket, you're covered by your parent's licence. So if I were to use my Netbook, does that mean that:

A) I can plug it in to charge, when NOT watching TV
B) Can I plug an ethernet lead in to get internet access? As it only states a power outlet.

Thanks for any help.

In terms of the conditions on http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/ you're just about OK. However I wouldn't be surprised if the following condition changed in future to include Ethernet
You have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

So in terms of the words written on the above page you're probably OK. In the spirit of what's written you're probably against those conditions. You'd probably need to read the detailed bits of legislation to know for sure.
Reply 219
The TV i have has to be plugged into the mains to work but i do not intend on watching tv on it even though i think it is capable of receiving a signal with the internal areial (sp?). Does this mean that i need a licence??

Cheers,
Savage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending