The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
skagitup
My main point, I suppose, is that there IS still a problem. I believe that the percentage of state school and private school students that recieve offers should relate to the amount of state and private school students in the UK, not that apply.

I disagree. I would say that
1) the ratio of applicants private/state should be the same as the ratio of (predicted) AAA-achievers private/state and
2) the ratio of offers private/state should be the same as the ratio of applicants private/state.

Apparently point 2) is already the case. Oxford/Cambridge don't have much influence over 1).

Oh and this is different from what you say :wink: because you assume that achievers aren't clustered in private schools - I on the other hand am assuming they are - I'm not saying that is a good or a bad thing, just that you must take it into account if you want to be fair.
llys

Oh and this is different from what you say :wink: because you assume that achievers aren't clustered in private schools - I on the other hand am assuming they are - I'm not saying that is a good or a bad thing, just that you must take it into account if you want to be fair.

There is bound to be some clustering of the brighter pupils into selective private schools, especially in areas that do not have state grammar schools. And the opposite is impossible: neither poor unintelligent pupils nor rich unintelligent ones can gain entry to selective schools.
Reply 102
llys
I disagree. I would say that
1) the ratio of applicants private/state should be the same as the ratio of (predicted) AAA-achievers private/state and
2) the ratio of offers private/state should be the same as the ratio of applicants private/state.

Apparently point 2) is already the case. Oxford/Cambridge don't have much influence over 1).

A student who achieves AAA at a state school has most likely worked harder than a student who achieves AAA at a private school. Shouldn't these students be rewarded for their effort? Is it fair that they suffer to achieve good grades because their parents weren't economically stable enough to finance a private school education?

I get the impression that most people posting have either attended private/good state schools. I urge anyone that holds the view "oh, AAA is AAA, state school or private" to research or perhaps even visit some of the worst state schools in the UK. Having attended one for a brief time, I can quite confidently say that it is almost impossible to achieve an AAA there, and anyone who does so most certainly deserves a place at Oxbridge.

Is the education system not about enforcing social mobility? About giving an equal chance to all students, and allowing those from poverty stricken backgrounds the ability to shine?

Of course, this is not a black and white area - I believe that careful consideration should be extended to all applications, concerning the reputation and standard of the school they studied at, and judgments should be made accordingly.
Reply 103
skagitup
A student who achieves AAA at a state school has most likely worked harder than a student who achieves AAA at a private school.

I'm not even sure that is true. I would agree that private schoolers on average have more money, more opportunities and (possibly) better teachers, but that doesn't mean they don't work hard or are less intelligent than state schoolers.

Shouldn't these students be rewarded for their effort? Is it fair that they suffer to achieve good grades because their parents weren't economically stable enough to finance a private school education?

I think they probably are/will be. Intelligence floats - most of the time.

I get the impression that most people posting have either attended private/good state schools. I urge anyone that holds the view "oh, AAA is AAA, state school or private" to research or perhaps even visit some of the worst state schools in the UK. Having attended one for a brief time, I can quite confidently say that it is almost impossible to achieve an AAA there, and anyone who does so most certainly deserves a place at Oxbridge.

Well I don't know, I'm German, we don't have private schools.. i.e. we do, but nobody knows anything about them, because nobody goes there. We do have selective schools. In most parts of Germany we do not have comprehensive schools, or only very very few.
You can only go to university if you get the abitur. You're on track for that if you went to the most selective type of school (Gymnasium) and manage not to drop out. You can also get it if you went to other types of school, but it is more complicated because you have to switch schools (+ you need to do really well in your current school to do that).
To what type of school you end up going after primary school has nothing to do with your parents' income or the area in which you live. It is determined by your grades at the end of primary school.

So this is where I'm coming from (the 'meritocratic' perspective which can also be unfair e.g. to late bloomers, immigrant children, etc., but is at least mostly fair, as e.g. in teachers are not better at more selective schools or worse at less selective schools).

So I look at the British (or English) school system from the outside.

I don't see why meritocracy should not still apply in your system.

From what I can see it is true that some state schoolers probably have more or bigger obstacles to overcome than private schoolers. I agree with you that if this affects their grades this should be taken into consideration. But I think that is already done, i.e. if you come from a poorly performing school this can be mentioned on CSAS (Cambridge Special Access Scheme) forms and on some Oxford form, or in your reference etc.. Cambridge also rate your GCSEs depending on your school's overall performance http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_6.html (Section 2.6.4.2). I don't know if Oxford does something similar.

I urge anyone that holds the view "oh, AAA is AAA, state school or private" to research or perhaps even visit some of the worst state schools in the UK.

I don't actually say that although perhaps indirectly I do.. Oxbridge offers are AAA, that means mostly AAA-predicted students will apply. If the independent sector has more AAA-predicted students, that will make the private/state applicants ratio higher than the private/state schoolers ratio, and that means the intake of private vs state will be higher. If you wanted a private/state applicant ratio that is the same as the private/state schoolers ratio, you would have to say Oxbridge should in general make lower offers to state schoolers. And this is where I would not agree. I don't think that Oxbridge should make lower offers unless there are truly mitigating circumstances.
skagitup
A student who achieves AAA at a state school has most likely worked harder than a student who achieves AAA at a private school. Shouldn't these students be rewarded for their effort? Is it fair that they suffer to achieve good grades because their parents weren't economically stable enough to finance a private school education?

Is the education system not about enforcing social mobility? About giving an equal chance to all students, and allowing those from poverty stricken backgrounds the ability to shine?

Of course, this is not a black and white area - I believe that careful consideration should be extended to all applications, concerning the reputation and standard of the school they studied at, and judgments should be made accordingly.

Oxbridge is not just about getting AAA. Tutors pick people for various (and sometimes unfathomable) reasons. Just because a student (private or state) gets AAA doesn't mean they are suited to the course, either in terms of personality, interests or academic ability.

People who come from the worst state schools should be under Oxford's Access Scheme/the Cambridge equivalent and thus have the opportunity to put their achievements/underachievement into context (admittedly, tutors are under no obligation to read this information).

:smile:
Agreed^
You're talking like the AAA is like a major selecting criteria when really it's just the bare minimum for the most part.
I think the issue of potential is complicated as well- while Oxbridge should be looking for that as well as achievement, it's pretty difficult to measure. I think that possibly, after a point, it's also irrelevant. You don't just need AAA to get in, a lot of the time you need significant knowledge of/interest in your subject beyond the A level syllabus as well (not that everyone at Oxbridge found A levels really easy or anything, but A level mark schemes are so specific that it's possible to do the necessary without going anywhere near the kind of thing Oxbridge require). If someone has been really appallingly disadvantaged, gone to a terrible state school, and not had any guidance from teachers or parents of what extra reading they should be doing or that they even need to go outside the syllabus, they may, despite the fact that they have admirably got decent A level results in difficult circumstances, be too far academically behind by that point to realistically be able to cope with the course (at least initially).

Of course some people are bright enough to catch up, but personally I found, even having been to a good state school, that the gap between expectations at A level and the very minimum at Oxford was so large that I would definitely have struggled without the outside-syllabus guidance I had before I got there. Maybe I'm substandard and should never have got in in the first place, but I think there's only so much the tutors can do with potential in the amount of time they have, without altering the course. Also, while they may (and should) make allowances for disadvantage in the admissions process, once you're in I suspect that the allowances don't last that long. So I'm sure state school pupils of great ability and potential are losing out unfairly, but as has been mentioned, they are casualties of the system long before university entrance and Oxbridge can't offset such deep-seated inequalities, only take them into consideration.
Reply 107
Has anyone ever done a survey of which Universities / Schools / Colleges were attended by parents of applicants.. (nature v nurture).. my understanding is that private schools take the place of parents so that they can run the Empire (very egalitarian).. and as the Empire now appears to be smaller than it was.. possibly this is having an effect on 'self selecting' applicants for the velvet drain pipe ?
CuriousPeach
I think the issue of potential is complicated as well- while Oxbridge should be looking for that as well as achievement, it's pretty difficult to measure. I think that possibly, after a point, it's also irrelevant. You don't just need AAA to get in, a lot of the time you need significant knowledge of/interest in your subject beyond the A level syllabus as well (not that everyone at Oxbridge found A levels really easy or anything, but A level mark schemes are so specific that it's possible to do the necessary without going anywhere near the kind of thing Oxbridge require). If someone has been really appallingly disadvantaged, gone to a terrible state school, and not had any guidance from teachers or parents of what extra reading they should be doing or that they even need to go outside the syllabus, they may, despite the fact that they have admirably got decent A level results in difficult circumstances, be too far academically behind by that point to realistically be able to cope with the course (at least initially).
Of course some people are bright enough to catch up, but personally I found, even having been to a good state school, that the gap between expectations at A level and the very minimum at Oxford was so large that I would definitely have struggled without the outside-syllabus guidance I had before I got there. Maybe I'm substandard and should never have got in in the first place, but I think there's only so much the tutors can do with potential in the amount of time they have, without altering the course. Also, while they may (and should) make allowances for disadvantage in the admissions process, once you're in I suspect that the allowances don't last that long. So I'm sure state school pupils of great ability and potential are losing out unfairly, but as has been mentioned, they are casualties of the system long before university entrance and Oxbridge can't offset such deep-seated inequalities, only take them into consideration.

I understand what you're saying completely, but I think that it really depends on one's tutor. I'm academically far behind my tute partners (partly because of my school but also because I've always struggled with the options that appeared in the first year course) and this has been reflected in pretty much everything I've done (including exam results: I passed but haven't done as well as I'd hoped). I wouldn't say allowances have been made for me and I haven't coped particularly well with the course this year, but my tutors (or at least two out of the three main ones) have worked extremely hard to get me to the same standard as the other two, splitting the group up to give me individual tutorials, etc. They seem to think I have the potential, so they've worked hard to help me reach it.

That said, I'm not sure all tutors would bother :s-smilie:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
I understand what you're saying completely, but I think that it really depends on one's tutor. I'm academically far behind my tute partners (partly because of my school but also because I've always struggled with the options that appeared in the first year course) and this has been reflected in pretty much everything I've done (including exam results: I passed but haven't done as well as I'd hoped). I wouldn't say allowances have been made for me and I haven't coped particularly well with the course this year, but my tutors (or at least two out of the three main ones) have worked extremely hard to get me to the same standard as the other two, splitting the group up to give me individual tutorials, etc. They seem to think I have the potential, so they've worked hard to help me reach it.

That said, I'm not sure all tutors would bother :s-smilie:

I should clarify that I was really thinking about the most extreme cases of disadvantage when I suggested that it might lead to an inability to cope with the course- I suppose I think it's a matter of degree, while the achievements of each applicant should be placed in context, I just think there's a level which probably has to have been reached, and if it hasn't, it will just make things much much harder for the student. There's little point in the admissions system being considerably more flexible than the actual course and exam system (though there is room for more flexibility). But the current situation is a long way from giving offers to people who won't be able to cope because their education has been inadequate, I think Oxbridge probably needs to be bolder in increasing access. There are just practical problems with contextualising achievement totally, as some people have suggested.

You're absolutely right that it depends on the tutors though, and I was speculating wildly and unfairly how they might respond to a state school pupil judged to have potential. I'm sure, as well, that it can vary from subject to subject, I'm definitely not qualified to talk about any apart from my own. I'm quite heartened by your experience, actually, as although my tutors were very good in their way, if anyone had particular problems their advice did tend to be of the "Well, you should pull your socks up, then" variety.
CuriousPeach
I should clarify that I was really thinking about the most extreme cases of disadvantage when I suggested that it might lead to an inability to cope with the course- I suppose I think it's a matter of degree, while the achievements of each applicant should be placed in context, I just think there's a level which probably has to have been reached, and if it hasn't, it will just make things much much harder for the student. There's little point in the admissions system being considerably more flexible than the actual course and exam system (though there is room for more flexibility). But the current situation is a long way from giving offers to people who won't be able to cope because their education has been inadequate, I think Oxbridge probably needs to be bolder in increasing access. There are just practical problems with contextualising achievement totally, as some people have suggested.

You're absolutely right that it depends on the tutors though, and I was speculating wildly and unfairly how they might respond to a state school pupil judged to have potential. I'm sure, as well, that it can vary from subject to subject, I'm definitely not qualified to talk about any apart from my own. I'm quite heartened by your experience, actually, as although my tutors were very good in their way, if anyone had particular problems their advice did tend to be of the "Well, you should pull your socks up, then" variety.

Yeah, I'm extremely lucky with most of my tutors! :smile: Most of them have been really supportive! That said, I think my main tutor had a few stereotypes about the education he thought I'd receive at school and thus anticipated me having problems. He places a bit too much emphasis on the education I had (or didn't have!), though I'd rather that than him not be aware that I'm at a slight disadvantage!

To be honest, though Oxford should definitely try to do more outreach work (though there is quite a bit going on already), I'm not sure what they could do to help the most disadvantaged students who have the potential. Unless if they used G&T lists or some other measure to offer mentoring/master classes/tuition to those students early on, whilst there still at school?

Plus even once these people get there, there is only so much time the tutors can devote to helping them. The individual tutorials that I mentioned in my earlier post took up even more of my tutor's time (and he has little) and I felt really bad about it at first. We're talking about people who are writing books/papers, taking sabbaticals, etc. Some of these tutors have no idea how the world works and are appalling at the pastoral side. There are tutors who still have no idea what dyslexia is :rolleyes:

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not sure there is a solution to the problem of potential students in disadvantaged schools/environments, etc. The uni would have to change a lot and I'm not sure that it could/would :s-smilie:
Angelil
Surely the people at private schools would have MORE money for drugs? :p:

The druggiest druggies that I know went to private schools!

Latest

Trending

Trending