The Student Room Group

Political science and IR society

Scroll to see replies

Bismarck
Didn't you have to specifically apply for the funding with a research proposal and all? But yeah, they generally want to make sure that no one is starving to death while doing the degree, but they don't want you to get too comfortable either.

Yeah, you do. The downside of the research councils shovelling money at people is that there aren't many places (27 in politics and IR nationwide for 2008). I do think it's fairer to spread the love, but I'm not complaining. :p:
Vesta

What do people think of the BAEcon?

That's a really interesting course. It wouldn't have suited me personally but I can think of plenty of people who'd have loved it.
Reply 182
Bismarck
What do you have against IR? :smile:

Nothing at all. I'd love to do the Pol + IR degree. But I think I'm looking for an insurance in Manchester :s-smilie:

Now that I've realised what the BAEcon really entails though I think I'd prefer to go for the Pol + IR. Just means Manc wont be an insurance

e-lover
I applied and got into that. It is an excellent course. You can do any module from the social sciences department making it a pick and choose degree. You can do a few modules of Politics, stick in some macroeconomics and some anthropology if you fancy it. I was stuck whether to firm Manchester or Birmingham. I chose Birmingham simply because the degree structure suited me more. :smile:

I see. To be honest, I think I'd prefer to do straight politics (+ IR perhaps). I know I don't want to do anything else so maybe this degree won't suit me :frown:

I feel like such a twit. I thought it was a pol degree (the BAEcon!)

IlexAquifolium
That's a really interesting course. It wouldn't have suited me personally but I can think of plenty of people who'd have loved it.

I see:redface:
Bismarck
And you have to be a dirty European to get the funding. :p: Good job on getting it though.

This is true also. Europeans are a terribly parochial bunch. :p:
Reply 184
Vesta

I see. To be honest, I think I'd prefer to do straight politics (+ IR perhaps). I know I don't want to do anything else so maybe this degree won't suit me :frown:

I feel like such a twit. I thought it was a pol degree (the BAEcon!)

You can still do a full politics course, just concentrate on the politics modules. Easy. and if you want to do some IR, you can :smile: Where else you thinking of planning?
Reply 185
e-lover
You can still do a full politics course, just concentrate on the politics modules. Easy. and if you want to do some IR, you can :smile: Where else you thinking of planning?

True true. I'll need to think hard about this :soc:

Where else am I considering applying to? Hmm I like Bristol, Durham, Manchester, LSE (maybe, I'd rather leave London to be honest), Warwick, Bath, too many :frown: :redface:
Reply 186
Vesta
True true. I'll need to think hard about this :soc:

Where else am I considering applying to? Hmm I like Bristol, Durham, Manchester, LSE (maybe, I'd rather leave London to be honest), Warwick, Bath, too many :frown: :redface:

All excellent universities. Don't get forget Birmingham! :p:
Ilex: :hmmm: (@ the IR comment :p:)

Shak: I'd go for the Politics and IR (in fact, when I applied, in the stone age, there was only Politics and IR at Manc, no straight Politics at all, and the standard offer was ABB), my personal statement was wholly Politics and IR all the way through, yet my first offer came from SOAS who do straight Politics, so don't worry about that at all.
Reply 188
Socrates
Shak: I'd go for the Politics and IR (in fact, when I applied, in the stone age, there was only Politics and IR at Manc, no straight Politics at all, and the standard offer was ABB), my personal statement was wholly Politics and IR all the way through, yet my first offer came from SOAS who do straight Politics, so don't worry about that at all.

K thanks Zaf :biggrin:

ANy more gems of advice, O wise graduated ones? :redface:

e-lover
All excellent universities. Don't get forget Birmingham! :p:

Yeah. I probs will apply there !
Reply 189
What's the best Andrew heywood book to buy which i can use at undergrad level?
Socrates
Ilex: :hmmm: (@ the IR comment :p:)

Yeah, it's not a popular opinion to express! Never mind, I know PS is more profound than IR, it doesn't matter if no-one agrees :p:
Reply 191
Another question :redface:

I was thinking today of the possibility of doing Politics with Spanish.
I don't do Spanish for A level but some unis let you take it at beginner level (eg Exeter, Bath), and I have an A* in Spanish GCSE.

I was considering it because I want to pick it up again (I miss it :frown:), I think a language could be potentially helpful in terms of finding a job etc, I would love to spend a year in South America or Spain and the entry requirements are generally lower for pol + spanish. Oh and spanish politics looks interesting (but I'm not sure how strong a role that plays in the syllabuses of different unis)

What do people think about this joint honours Pol + language thing? Is it a good or a bad idea?

I'd want the main focus to be on Politics, but I guess when it comes to choosing modules etc then I have to decide. Right?

Languages are hard work, so bear that in mind.

Its a good idea though, and it certainly makes your more employable (especially in places like FCO and Intelligence).
Reply 193
Hey, I think that it'd be a good thing, an extra language is always beneficial.. Many unis allow you to take other/language modules anyways, so you don't necessarily have to have it in the degree title.. Eg. I can do French/German/Spanish/Japanese/Russian/etc if I want to.. :biggrin: I want to do French and/or maybe a bit of Russian :biggrin:
Reply 194
Oic. How hard :puppyeyes:

Hmmm. I need to give this some thought. :frown:
Vesta
Oic. How hard :puppyeyes:

Hmmm. I need to give this some thought. :frown:

Well, they're mainly hard if you're doing them as a minor element (particularly ab initio to all intents and purposes), since two modules isn't really enough to get you up to speed. So unless you can take them additional to your primary degree, you may find that your language modules lower your average.

I've actually been having a PM conversation with someone asking the same question, I'll tell them to hotfoot it over here.
Reply 196
IlexAquifolium
Well, they're mainly hard if you're doing them as a minor element (particularly ab initio to all intents and purposes), since two modules isn't really enough to get you up to speed. So unless you can take them additional to your primary degree, you may find that your language modules lower your average.

I've actually been having a PM conversation with someone asking the same question, I'll tell them to hotfoot it over here.

I know Spanish is ab initio but I have A* at GCSE and I do French and Latin A level which aren't all that dissimilar. Hmmm.

I think the Pol + Spanish degrees are 50:50 split. Not 100% sure though.

I'm now scared about how hard it'd be. :s-smilie: I'm a bit put off now. Sigh.
Reply 197
Vesta you have so many plans lol I would hate to be in your position :biggrin: Ah I ve just invested in Andrew Heywood introduction to Political ideologies 4th Edition should come by tomorrow :smile: Ah i love Politics so much :love: I am also thinking of taking a Politics AS Level next year, is this a good idea? :smile:
Vesta
I know Spanish is ab initio but I have A* at GCSE and I do French and Latin A level which aren't all that dissimilar. Hmmm.

I think the Pol + Spanish degrees are 50:50 split. Not 100% sure though.

I'm now scared about how hard it'd be. :s-smilie: I'm a bit put off now. Sigh.

FWIW, Mathy is doing politics and Hispanic studies, if you want to have a word with her.
Reply 199
Mike - indecisive is my middle name :p:

Thanks Ilex, I'll have a look for her :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending