The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I found C1 largely a recap of GCSE anyway....
Reply 21
I was really having difficulties deciding whether I wanted to do Maths too, in the end I decided to go for it. Best decision ever. I'm hoping to do a degree in Maths and Stats now.

I have to say, the AS Level was significantly harder than GCSE, and many people dropped out immediately whilst others got an AS Level and then dropped out at the end of the year. EVERYBODY agreed that it was a real step up, especially in terms of the workload. If you think you can handle it, I think you should go for it. The only thing I could warn against would be that it can have a negative effect on your other courses (this reflects my experience at the very least). And finally, A2 was an even bigger step up from AS, so be prepared! Right, I'm off to revise for the C4 unit exams which is less than a week away...
it really depends on your understanding of it. those people in my class who struggled with a-level maths didn't have a very good basic knowledge of maths.
It can a lot of work (depending on your teacher) but if you do all the work and try hard there's no reason why you cant do well.
Reply 23
orionmoo
Well may be the full A Level is, as I can't really comment on that but certainly AS Level is easy.

And to the person who said stats or mechanics... what? Umm.. neither. Decision.

Hehe, Well of course its easier with decision, thats barely maths :p:

But yeah C1 and C2 are pretty easy, just make sure you actually have a teacher :smile: (ours injured her back at the beginning of the first term and we had to teach ourselves for her lessons pretty much :s-smilie: ).

Now, to revise C4, woot.
Reply 24
Ok, great. Thanks again for all the input everyone, I phoned up and confirmed that I did want to take it, so roll on setpember!

Good luck in your modules guys.
Reply 25
i went from a high B to a High A but i did o levels so dno about gcse . . and i guess i also did a bit more work this yr . . i think C C2 C3 are piss easy to be honest . .
EvenStevens
C1 and C2 are definitely easy.

C3 and C4 are definitely not :p:

thats doesnt mean anything.

that just tells the OP how intelligent YOU are.

some find C1 and C2 impossible. whereas I also know alot of people who think C3 and C4 are uber easy.
Reply 27
Sure you can :smile: i sat intermediate maths at gcse (that may not exist now) got a B and ended up with an A in c1, just work hard!
Reply 28
Resok
Hi,

So basically, I'm taking maths next year as I HAVE to get at least a B to do computer science in uni.

For mostly all of KS4, I didnt pay attention to a single maths lesson. (Very stupid, I know, but I've woken up now.) After seeing the answers of the maths exam posted up on here, Im confident ill get a B/A.

So basically, even though I may not be getting an A*, I think I've done rather well seeing as I crammed most of the syallabus in, in a few weeks.

I'm not going to be a fool in college like I was in KS4, and Im determined to do well in maths.

So, do you think I could handle the course and get a B?

Thanks.

I have a similar case too, however, i am predicted a C and i too have also been doing a silly decision in Maths in not paying attention and to make matters worse the teacher who teaches us is so crap. WOULD I BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE PRESSURE. IF I WORK LIKE 3 hours everyday on maths...

because quite frankly i am so determined to do that next year, as i have really been doin some intense revision this year.
I worked pretty hard at GCSE and got an A. I work pretty hard at A Level and got an A. In my opinion A Level is easier!
im being dead serious here when I say A level maths is easier than gcse maths
so much rubbish in gcse maths imo
but then again everyones different, personally I found a level maths very interesting, and the fact you can retake units from AS in a2 makes it much better (a2 is just a build up of AS so when after doing A2, AS will seem like baby play :smile: )
Ok. Well. I got A* at GCSE with nearly 99% of the marks, found it really easy and the maths was useful, thus interesting.

I'm just finishing A level and leaving with roughly a C/D. Basically it was the worst possible choice of course, especially if you have to do it with Edexcel. The entire course is completely irrelevant to anything, ended up skipping all the lessons since they were so dull and pointless and basically dropped the subject - still sitting the exams just to get the full A level and using my other 3 subjects to get A's.

For C1, C2, M1, C3 I got B, C, B, E respectively, statistics was relatively easy but C3 and C4...just no, no, no, no.

Unless you really need it or your school doesnt use edexcel, then keep as far away from it as possible.
Reply 32
Midnight-Soul
Ok. Well. I got A* at GCSE with nearly 99% of the marks, found it really easy and the maths was useful, thus interesting.

I'm just finishing A level and leaving with roughly a C/D. Basically it was the worst possible choice of course, especially if you have to do it with Edexcel. The entire course is completely irrelevant to anything, ended up skipping all the lessons since they were so dull and pointless and basically dropped the subject - still sitting the exams just to get the full A level and using my other 3 subjects to get A's.

For C1, C2, M1, C3 I got B, C, B, E respectively, statistics was relatively easy but C3 and C4...just no, no, no, no.

Unless you really need it or your school doesnt use edexcel, then keep as far away from it as possible.

Lol, thanks for the insight, and also to clarify that Edexcel are the examining body for A- Levels, im actually having second choices, but I definatley need a core subject in order to get to uni and study Computing or Programming, basically any area involving ICT.

Please HELP
your going to need maths to do computer science.. not taking maths will cut off a lot of potential unis
Reply 34
Maths and Further Maths open up alot of avenues and Unis are increasingly using them to measure a benchmark of adapability and ability I think, especially considering the amount of 'soft-choces' available.

I would suggest having done Maths and Further Maths, that Maths is definitely worth taking and it is entirely plausable to get an A if you put in the effort. I've done AQA so have no knowledge of Edexcel.
I've just finished Edexcel maths AS. I have this thing that I'm pretty good at the core stuff, but am absolutely rubbish at all the other modules. I'm definately going to have to retake S1, but I found C1 (got 91 in January) and C2 really easy. Hopefully I'll find M1 slightly easier because I take physics, and find that mechanics isn't as wishy washy as stats.

I also took D1 as part of further maths, but with OCR:MEI rather than edexcel. D1 is a easy, but slightly weird mosule to take. I was impressed how many creativw ways they came up with of drawing nodeish things with lines attaching them together and what to do with them, though for some reason I could never do critical path analysis. Am getting sidetracked now.
Reply 36
player2704
Lol, thanks for the insight, and also to clarify that Edexcel are the examining body for A- Levels, im actually having second choices, but I definatley need a core subject in order to get to uni and study Computing or Programming, basically any area involving ICT.

Please HELP

You can escape with just doing an as in maths, player.

If I'm REALLY struggling with maths next year, ill just drop it at the end of the first year. Im planning on going to exeter university, which is supposedly pretty good (Says the league tables), and they usually only ask for an as in it.

But dropping the A2 will be when im VERY VERY desperate. :biggrin:
*******s to maths being easy. (well i personally found it easy) but if you look at the rest of my class, we started off with 27 in the class, theres now 8, half dropped out before reaching even AS, and a bunch more didnt want to continue. I would say if you can get an A at GCSE your going to probably get an A/B. B-> B/C C? i wouldnt bother. Theres noone left in my class who had anything less than a B at gcses (infact im not even sure theres people left who didnt get at least A :s-smilie:)
Reply 38
Well, to cut a conversation short.

I ****ed up in GCSE Maths in not putting enough effort. However, i am not going to make that same disastrous mistake in A-Levels, and I will 100% put every ounce of strength into it. I guess, getting a C in Maths isn't great, but NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, especially if you have grit and determination right behind you - in terms of yourself and the backing of your family.

IT SHOULD BE SOME RIDE...

THANKS ANYWAYS FOR THE ADVICE, but I guess my mind is set to a target.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GCSE's AND A-LEVELS PEOPLE!!!!!!!
Anyone can do well in A Level Maths if they do past papers over and over
The same kind of questions are asked again and again
Usually just different numbers
If you do enough work and just learn the methods you will do fine.

And for everything but C1 I recommend getting a graphic calculator (second hand they aren't too expensive) and getting to grips with it. Can really be your best friend

Latest