The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
psychogal
what is the purpose really? to let other users know how good/bad another is or just used as reward

To add just a little bit more fun to the forums. And it is gives you a really nice feeling when someone compliments you for a good post.
Reply 2
Moncal
To add just a little bit more fun to the forums. And it is gives you a really nice feeling when someone compliments you for a good post.

yes and most people tend not to take posts from people wiv like 5 red gems v seriously cos if there posts were any good they wud have green gems
Reply 3
angel D
yes and most people tend not to take posts from people wiv like 5 red gems v seriously cos if there posts were any good they wud have green gems

4 people have neg repped me for my cambridge is cruel post, seriously, why neg rep someone for their honest opinion, it's not as if my posts were rude, spamming or offensive. I have taken everybody's arguments into consideration, and have learned a lot from them. The thread is a debate and not a horrid statement to scientists. :mad: :frown:
Reply 4
Matilda
4 people have neg repped me for my cambridge is cruel post, seriously, why neg rep someone for their honest opinion, it's not as if my posts were rude, spamming or offensive. I have taken everybody's arguments into consideration, and have learned a lot from them. The thread is a debate and not a horrid statement to scientists. :mad: :frown:

To be fair, your *original* unedited post could be construed as offensive by some sensitive members on the forum. Some of you subsequent posts too, could be offensive to some people, or your stuborness to see the other side of the argument could be seen as ignorant. Some people just neg rep others if their views don't match, so I wouldn't worry. I, for one, disagreed with your argument, but didn't neg rep you, as I didn't see the point. I only neg rep if people are being totally absurd, or insulting.

EDIT: Had the thread been posted in D&D, it wouldn't seems as a direct attack at a particular university, and I think the reaction would have been more peaceful.
Reply 5
Matilda

I have to be honest - I contemplated neg repping you when I first read it - given that your 'uni of choice' has a large rat and mouse facility for generating antibodies, and you seemed to be slating one uni with out appreciating that the one you stated was just as bad!

However, I then chilled and decided to post instead! Others aren't as tollerant though, and based ont he first part of the thread, I can may be see why you did get neg rep, although to your credit you seem to have taken on board the comments made and re-evaluated your stance. In fact, I may even pos rep you tomorrow :wink: Remind me!!!
You also get neg repped for being a snob :wink:
Reply 7
Fluffy
although to your credit you seem to have taken on board the comments made and re-evaluated your stance. In fact, I may even pos rep you tomorrow :wink: Remind me!!!

and remind me one day to say something controversial, and then 're-evaluate my stance' :tongue:
Reply 8
It doesn't have a purpose.
Reply 9
psychogal
what is the purpose really? to let other users know how good/bad another is or just used as reward

It's to make tease you. To make you feel special, and most of all, to make you feel like a loved one, like one of "us". Part of the in crowd. Only the "cool" people have positive rep. All the uncool people have neg rep.
Reply 10
Its just a bit of fun I suppose. Mine seems to fluctuate. 10 minutes ago it was a red gem. Now a green gem. Sometimes its grey. People give me them without putting a reason. Others say they just felt like it. Shouldnt be taken too seriously.

Ive found that a lot of people with more than 2 green gems on this forum are quite bland. I imagine their buddies (who are mentioned in their signatures of course) just give them positive rep for the sake of it with the favour being returned. Thats how we get some folks with gems coming off the page.

Just my take on things....
*checks sig*

nope no buddies there.....:tongue:
Reply 12
maybe im wrong, but i find that the majority of neg rep comes from d+d when things start hotting up and mods need to fly in to try and rescue the situation but the swearing just continues anyway...:tongue: :rolleyes: :biggrin:
Reply 13
i disagree with this reputation malarkey and therefore never use it to negative people

all too easily people get negative stuff for posting their OPINIONS. its often used by people with no tolerance for other views
Reply 14
technik
i disagree with this reputation malarkey

so it doesnt make u a tiny bit happy not to have a red gem next to your name any more? :smile:
Reply 15
It's all huge load of nonsense, or at least so when it gets out of hand.
Reply 16
Mad Caddie
It's to make tease you. To make you feel special, and most of all, to make you feel like a loved one, like one of "us". Part of the in crowd. Only the "cool" people have positive rep. All the uncool people have neg rep.

and then there is this grey mass that don't have any rep
Reply 17
Not yet anyway.
Reply 18
I got negative rep today for the 2nd time on UKL.....the first time was just coz I was being sarcy & so was the other person (who admittedly I gave neg rep to, so perhaps deserved!)...but today's neg rep (two loads of it...got rid of lots of rep points) was just simply coz I posted on the "what words can't u say/spell properly" thread....And next to it, it said "I don't like you".......it was a bit :-( lol I don't post anything offensive or contraversial....some people are just mean :frown: :frown:
Katie Heskins
I got negative rep today for the 2nd time on UKL.....the first time was just coz I was being sarcy & so was the other person (who admittedly I gave neg rep to, so perhaps deserved!)...but today's neg rep (two loads of it...got rid of lots of rep points) was just simply coz I posted on the "what words can't u say/spell properly" thread....And next to it, it said "I don't like you".......it was a bit :-( lol I don't post anything offensive or contraversial....some people are just mean :frown: :frown:

I have been frequently neg repped, but I do not really care.

Latest

Trending

Trending