The Student Room Group

Chemistry personal statement.

In my personal statement I've mentioned how I am interested in free radical reactions, and mentioned a bit about an article I read on them. I was just wondering if this is relevant , I cannot find the exact details of the courses I am applying to so I am not sure if free radicals come up in university, I assume they do but just don't want to waste words on my personal statement.
Original post by ma_they
In my personal statement I've mentioned how I am interested in free radical reactions, and mentioned a bit about an article I read on them. I was just wondering if this is relevant , I cannot find the exact details of the courses I am applying to so I am not sure if free radicals come up in university, I assume they do but just don't want to waste words on my personal statement.

I wouldn’t worry about whether it is relevant or not. It shows you have done some reading around the subject, which is what the admissions teams will want to see.

My understanding is that free radicals do come up in undergrad chemistry courses, as they are important to certain mechanisms you are likely to study in the organic parts of the course.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
I wouldn’t worry about whether it is relevant or not. It shows you have done some reading around the subject, which is what the admissions teams will want to see.

My understanding is that free radicals do come up in undergrad chemistry courses, as they are important to certain mechanisms you are likely to study in the organic parts of the course.

Thank you.
If you're uncertain about the relevance of free radical reactions to the courses you're applying for, it might be a good idea to focus on broader interests or experiences that align with your chosen field. Highlighting general enthusiasm for chemistry or related subjects could be more versatile in your personal statement. This way, your statement remains relevant regardless of the specific content of the courses you're applying to.

Fatima
LSBU Rep
Original post by ma_they
Please ignore the advice from the LBSU rep above. Specifics are ALWAYS better than vague generalities in a PS.
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
If you're uncertain about the relevance of free radical reactions to the courses you're applying for, it might be a good idea to focus on broader interests or experiences that align with your chosen field. Highlighting general enthusiasm for chemistry or related subjects could be more versatile in your personal statement. This way, your statement remains relevant regardless of the specific content of the courses you're applying to.

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Free radicals are relevant because they're going to be covered in every undergraduate chemistry course in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending