The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
Presumably if you don't make up the rep power via the equation by other means...

I think the prerequisite of giving any rep at all is 200 posts, no matter if you had 500 rep.
Reply 61
wiwarin_mir
I think the prerequisite of giving any rep at all is 200 posts, no matter if you had 500 rep.

So what is the point of grey rep? Presumably people giving out grey rep are doing it in good faith in the expectation they are giving good or bad rep but in fact it is completely pointless for them and the receiver.
Reply 62
spk
So what is the point of grey rep? Presumably people giving out grey rep are doing it in good faith in the expectation they are giving good or bad rep but in fact it is completely pointless for them and the receiver.

well, imagine if you had a message that told you "you can't give rep, cos you don't have enough posts blah blah"....it's more likely to cause spamming in an attempt to get to the 'magic number'.....at least now, everyone can give rep, knowing that it'll be appreciated (if good)
spk

In theory, the amount of rep you can give increaes the longer you are a member, so initially, you will be able to give no meaningful rep, although it is still a gesture of goodwill or disapprovement.

If a new member could give the same amount of rep as someone who had been a member for 6 months, it would be easy for people to create a load of new accounts just to launch a neg rep attack on someone. Since new members can give no rep, it is a safeguard against such an attack and it means that new members will have to earn the right to give rep.

Although some people may argue that just becuase you have a relatively low post count does not mean that you are not an active member. Some people that have been a member of UKL for almost a year have not go over 1000 posts because they will only post very selectively, so the amount of rep they can give out will not show the duration they have been a member or their contribution.

To combat this problem, the amount of rep that you actually have is added to the amount of rep you can give, so if someone helps a lot of people, the likelihood is that they will have a lot of rep, which will make up for the low post count.

Conversely, If someone spams a lot to gain a high post count, they may well end up with negative rep points, which will then help to cancel out the rep gained from spamming.

On the whole I think the rep system is balanced and fair, although there are a few flaws, but nothing that warrents change.
Reply 64
Thanks for the informative response - perhaps something like that should be added to the rep FAQ.

However, I still think grey rep is a bit of a con.
spk
Thanks for the informative response - perhaps something like that should be added to the rep FAQ.

However, I still think grey rep is a bit of a con.

I shall see if Ollie can do something as I admit that in the FAQ, rep could be explained better.
Reply 66
wiwarin_mir
I shall see if Ollie can do something as I admit that in the FAQ, rep could be explained better.

So is it true that you need to have received 20 rep points before you can give out anything other than grey rep?
spk
So is it true that you need to have received 20 rep points before you can give out anything other than grey rep?

I do not believe so, I think it is just 200 posts that need to be attained before rep of any value can be given.
Reply 68
wiwarin_mir
I do not believe so, I think it is just 200 posts that need to be attained before rep of any value can be given.

and you can't have grey/red rep, of course :smile: (and you may have to have 10+ points)
Reply 69
mockel
and you can't have grey/red rep, of course :smile: (and you may have to have 10+ points)

People who have red rep are prevented from giving out rep?
spk
People who have red rep are prevented from giving out rep?

No, but they can't give or deduct any points I think.
NDGAARONDI
No, but they can't give or deduct any points I think.

I think if you have negative rep points, any rep power you would ghet from them would be a minus number, so when you add it to the rep gained from your post count, it will in fact be taken away.
*waits for cindy*
Its just a shame that some folk give you neg rep when you have blocked them from your msn list and dont reply to thier pm's, cos you just dont want to talk to them. But hey it made me laugh Daz cos your so pathetic, though at least you had the balls to admit it was you!
hahah idont care if u blocked me from msn, i pmd u once asking if you were the cindy on my msn list
Sorry I didnt give you the reaction you wanted. LOL it just made me laugh! :biggrin:
sure it did....... you care so much about the whole rep system haha
Reply 77
HaggenDaZ
sure it did....... you care so much about the whole rep system haha

oh look, her gem's gone green
'
{ingnik']oh look, her gem's gone green

so? lol
Reply 79
HaggenDaZ
so? lol

doesnt it just fill your heart with warmth?

Latest

Trending

Trending