The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was gonna start a discursive essay topic too, then I saw this one!
I've collected a list of good essay phrases together, but they're not really for specific topics, just general stuff. But I can still share if anyone wants?

You got any ides for topics that might come up?
Reply 2
kokiri
I was gonna start a discursive essay topic too, then I saw this one!
I've collected a list of good essay phrases together, but they're not really for specific topics, just general stuff. But I can still share if anyone wants?

I'm a bit stuck with this too. Which phrases have you come up with?
Reply 3
kokiri

I was trying to guess this yesterday. The spec says the four questions will be on: current affairs/political issues; social problems; philosophical/speculative (which could be pretty much anything, judging by previous questions); and
the environment/ international and European issues.

Previous questions, which are therefore unlikely to come up:
Something about the third world countries being treated unfairly by industrial countries
Does the traditional family have a future?
Life without a car
Can war ever be just?
Is criminality is the result of social problems?
Are we constantly manipulated by mass media?
Pacifism
Who's responsible for environmental problems?
‘I don’t want to be a teenager anymore’ Do you agree? :confused:
Do sport stars earn too much
Something about an education catastrophe
Is society too tolerant of minorities?

kokiri

That'd be great.
Reply 4
I think they're just common sense really, and most people probably know them but here you go:

Ich bin davon (nicht) überzeugt I’m (not) convinced about that
Ich bin der Meinung/ Auffassung, dass... - I’m of the opinion/view that...
Ich lege viel Wert auf... I place a lot of value on...
Einiges steht schon fest One thing is clear
Es lässt sich nicht bestreiten, dass... It can’t be disputed, that...
Es ist umstritten, ob... It’s indisputable that...
Es ist zweifelhaft / Ich bezweifle, ob... It’s doubtful/ I doubt whether...
Daran gibt es keinen Zweifel There’s no doubt about it
Niemand kann mit Sicherheit sagen, dass... No one can safely say, that...
Einerseits One one hand
Andererseits/ Auf der anderen Seite - One the other hand
Trotzdem Nevertheless
Im Gegenteil On the contrary
Im Allgemein Generally
Vor allem Above all
Schließlich After all
Zurzeit At present
Es kommt darauf an It depends
Es lässt sich nicht leugnen, dass... - It cannot be denied, that...
Wenn man die Situation genauer betrachtet... If you view the situation more closely
Es stimmt auf keinen Fall, dass... It’s not true in any case, that...
Es scheint, als ob... - It seems as though...
Das könnte man wohl sagen. You could certainly say that.
Dieser Meinung kann ich nicht zustimmen I can’t agree with this opinion
Das ist eine heikle Thema That is a thorny subject.
Ich glaube persönlich, dass... I personally believe that...
Es wird gesagt, dass... It is said that...
Tatsache ist (doch), dass... It’s a fact that...
Tatsächlich... In fact...
Studien haben gezeigt, dass... Studies have shown that...

I'm quite hoping for something like abortion/euthanasia/saving the environment cos I've already done essays for those :p:
Reply 5
that seems like a wort fur wort list (my fave book!)
Reply 6
happyheart
that seems like a wort fur wort list (my fave book!)

Nah, it's mostly Brennpunkt actually! The rest is from my class notes.
Reply 7
Haha I loved brennpunkt!! Last year I did a question on whether the enlarging of the EU was a good thing, there was also a question on whether international treaties to combat global warming would be successful. I think they pull the essay titles out of their arses to be quite honest. Oh and for the love of david hasselhoff don't do the task-based assignments!!
tymbnuip
Haha I loved brennpunkt!! Last year I did a question on whether the enlarging of the EU was a good thing, there was also a question on whether international treaties to combat global warming would be successful. I think they pull the essay titles out of their arses to be quite honest. Oh and for the love of david hasselhoff don't do the task-based assignments!!

Haha, I didn't even bother looking at those. It's funny, because they're on an extra sheet of paper, too...and nobody from our school does 'em! What a waste!
Reply 9
Well that was easier than I was expecting: Atomkraft - ist das Risiko zu gross? was the exact theme of my 1,000 word coursework. I just cut it down to 250 and put in all the good phrases that I could remember from it and viola, one exam question done.

The reading paper (dont know what module), however, was friggin hard, churches and towers and italian exchange students - I didn't have a clue
Task based assignments are the business, I'll have you know! It's like GCSE writing paper all over again, yet with more grown-up words :biggrin:
Reply 11
The reading paper was the toughest of the lot, and wtf was up with that last question.. :s-smilie:

But it was generally good, i thought! I did the essay on smoking, didn't bother checking out the rest of the paper :p:
kokiri
The reading paper was the toughest of the lot, and wtf was up with that last question.. :s-smilie:

But it was generally good, i thought! I did the essay on smoking, didn't bother checking out the rest of the paper :p:

Was that the one aboy what circumstances would you go to these stands for? As in, when you are hungry, because they sold 'leckere Imbisse'. Javoll.

I did the smoking one too. Except I didn't see it at first, and panicked. I was getting ready to screw up the athlete one, until I realised I hadn't read question 7. :biggrin:

Blatantly didn't even bother reading the other sections...
Reply 13
Yeah I put something about only near xmas as it was a weihnachtsmarkt :biggrin:

Should be enough to get a mark there, one of 10 out of 25 however
Reply 14
The reading was a bitch, listening was ok, I did Atomkraft for the essay, just have to wait and hope now I guess!
Reply 15
El Mariachi
The reading was a bitch, listening was ok, I did Atomkraft for the essay, just have to wait and hope now I guess!

Yup, hopefully the reading grades will be a lot lower seen as everyone I have spoken to found it really hard
I didn't think the reading was too difficult...? It was the hardest of the three, but compared to past papers...it just seemed average! Although I did read the first question and not even understand the word 'guenstig' I think it was. Anyway, it means 'favourable' apparently.
Reply 17
jonnythemoose
I didn't think the reading was too difficult...? It was the hardest of the three, but compared to past papers...it just seemed average! Although I did read the first question and not even understand the word 'guenstig' I think it was. Anyway, it means 'favourable' apparently.

What was the question again, why was it guenstig is all I can remember
Reply 18
No idea what guensteig was, but I took a guess and just said it was cos it's free :p: Hell knows what the question was, or what it meant!
Reply 19
Oh yer I put 'es kostet nichts' aswell! Was careful not to use kostenlos as it was in the text, stupid own words rule

Latest

Trending

Trending