The Student Room Group

Access to HE science and health

Hi,

I will be starting this course in September for a year on weds and Thursday mornings. I was wondering what the workload is like and how much study time I will need to ensure I won’t be working too many hours and be struggling! Also when do these courses usually end and do you get any time off ?
Thanks Kelly 😊
Reply 1
I did access to nursing on a 2 day a week basis. I imagine the workload will be similar.
I worked the 5 days, maybe doing 30ish hours and then went to college for 2 days a week. It definitely required for me to time manage. I always stayed on a Monday night after college ended to work on assignments and was always in the library on Weds afternoons because that's what worked for me.

It is constant assignments, so you never feel relief for finishing 1 because there's always another waiting in the wings. During my course we covered 5 subjects and each 'term' had either an essay or exam to complete for each subject which were usually all due within in a week of each other. So while it seemed a lot, it definitely needed to be broken down and chipped away at.

In terms of time off, it was like being back at school in that we had half terms, xmas and easter off. I started my course beginning of Oct and finished it beginning of June.

The complete amazing flipside is it 100% prepared me for Uni in terms of writing style, referencing and time management. Plus, if you can handle the workload of an access course, you can handle Uni. I'm about to finish 1st year of nursing and found the workload of the access course much more challenging. I've heard that changes going forward into the next 2years though, haha.
Hi Ambray,

Thank you so much that is a big help and a good insight of what can be achieved!

Do you know anything about applying for a student loan?

Thank you!
Kelly
Original post by Ambray
I did access to nursing on a 2 day a week basis. I imagine the workload will be similar.
I worked the 5 days, maybe doing 30ish hours and then went to college for 2 days a week. It definitely required for me to time manage. I always stayed on a Monday night after college ended to work on assignments and was always in the library on Weds afternoons because that's what worked for me.

It is constant assignments, so you never feel relief for finishing 1 because there's always another waiting in the wings. During my course we covered 5 subjects and each 'term' had either an essay or exam to complete for each subject which were usually all due within in a week of each other. So while it seemed a lot, it definitely needed to be broken down and chipped away at.

In terms of time off, it was like being back at school in that we had half terms, xmas and easter off. I started my course beginning of Oct and finished it beginning of June.

The complete amazing flipside is it 100% prepared me for Uni in terms of writing style, referencing and time management. Plus, if you can handle the workload of an access course, you can handle Uni. I'm about to finish 1st year of nursing and found the workload of the access course much more challenging. I've heard that changes going forward into the next 2years though, haha.
Reply 3
So when you start your access course I'm sure they'll give you guidance on UCAS and whatnot, we had an hour long session on it for the first few weeks.
My circumstances were I was planning to start the access course a year later than planned but ended up being invited to start the course that had already started a couple weeks late. Which meant I had not really thought at all about what Uni's I wanted to go to and ended up having 3 weeks to choose which ones to apply for, haha! Definitely do your research on that before the course starts.

If I remember correctly, because you are registered with UCAS you get an email around Feb time to apply for student finance. Whether you apply independently or through parents you will likely get a letter a few weeks later asking you to send evidence. For me as an independent, I had to send 3years worth of P60's and that was it. I applied Feb, wasn't granted til end of June - it's not fun waiting! It's a fairly easy process outside of the wait. Whoever does your course will help guide you through it all, I'm sure.

Original post by Kelly murrell
Hi Ambray,

Thank you so much that is a big help and a good insight of what can be achieved!

Do you know anything about applying for a student loan?

Thank you!
Kelly
Reply 4
Do you need to revise GCSE science before the start of the course?
Or do they start from the basics?
Hi there @Kelly murrell

I did an Access to HE: Sport course, and was in college 3 days a week, but not full days. As I completed modules, my time in college reduced too at the end of the course. My cohort was a full academic year and we had breaks between term such as Christmas and Easter etc.

Like most mature students, I had to work, but managed to fit in attending college and completing my assignments.

We had a few lessons showing us how to complete UCAS and we all applied for uni during a lesson so the tutors were there to assist us in the process.

I completely agree with the advice @Ambray says. It IS intense and as one assignment finishes, you will always have another on the go, but it really does set you up for university and how to cope with studying there, referencing etc. Plus, if you have to organise working and home life and college as a mature student, university doesn't feel so daunting. I felt far better prepared for university life than my course mates who had just finished A-Levels.

I hope this helps and good luck, you CAN do it!

Fi :horse:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending