The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Poshtotty
Mainly for maths and science since those are deemed most important I gather.

I bet you're doing 3 sciences and maths for a level eh? :rolleyes:

You left out English Language.

Most places ask for Bs in English language and maths.
Reply 2
GCSEs Summer 2005

Chem: A*
Bio: A
Phy: A*
Maths: A*
Eng Lit: A*
Eng Lang: A*
French: A*
DT (systems and control): A*
Geography: A*
Latin: A

8A*s and 2 As
Reply 3
My GCSE grades are 8 years old and really none of your concern.
Reply 4
Double Science (my school wouldn't let me take triple as there was only 2 of us who wanted to do it): AA
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: B
P.E: A
Music: A
French: A
German: A
History: A
R.E: A

think that was all!
what made me laugh, was that Birmingham rejected me this year because my GCSE's weren't all A*s - their email reply to me when I asked for feedback was 'I'm afraid you are being rejected. We only consider applicants who have at least 7 A* grades at GCSE, and AAA Alevel predictions.'

Apart from them, I haven't heard of anywhere rejecting you based on your GCSEs as long as you have a B or higher in maths, english and science (i think).
Reply 5
Check my profile.
Reply 6
beckiestar
Double Science (my school wouldn't let me take triple as there was only 2 of us who wanted to do it): AA
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: B
P.E: A
Music: A
French: A
German: A
History: A
R.E: A

think that was all!
what made me laugh, was that Birmingham rejected me this year because my GCSE's weren't all A*s - their email reply to me when I asked for feedback was 'I'm afraid you are being rejected. We only consider applicants who have at least 7 A* grades at GCSE, and AAA Alevel predictions.'

Apart from them, I haven't heard of anywhere rejecting you based on your GCSEs as long as you have a B or higher in maths, english and science (i think).

I think it's a bit silly to base offers on GCSE's so much. I think they should take into account people's improvement. Not everyone manages to get A* GCSE's and those who actually care will show that in their A-level results.

I hope my results are as good as yours though. They look quite impressive. I hope you get into/have got into medical school. :smile:
for the places that consider GCSE's, would it matter that I only got an A in maths...but I did take Additional Maths tho, managed to get a C in it...would the grade in additional maths make up for me not having that A*??
Reply 8
Hmm I dont think it would make up for it, considering a C in it isnt exceptional, but the A shouldn't be too big of a deal.
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
for the places that consider GCSE's, would it matter that I only got an A in maths...but I did take Additional Maths tho, managed to get a C in it...would the grade in additional maths make up for me not having that A*??

An A in normal GCSE maths is fine. I had a B at gcse maths which was the basis of st georges university rejecting me, aswell as kings. Though maths isnt part of the course it helps if you have an A to beat the competition.
Reply 10
Poshtotty

I hope you get into/have got into medical school. :smile:

thankyou :smile:, I have - if I get these resits under my belt and at the A's they need to be! I'll be at Bristol come October :smile:
Ah Renal, forever the compassionate one....
Funny how it is only the people with virtually straight A*s who have posted. Shows you need virtually straight A* for medicine? or merely people with straight A* like to ostentate?
iceman_jondoe
An A in normal GCSE maths is fine. I had a B at gcse maths which was the basis of st georges university rejecting me, aswell as kings. Though maths isnt part of the course it helps if you have an A to beat the competition.

kewl:cool: i'm planning on applying to St. Georges and Kings anyway
Aaron_1507
Funny how it is only the people with virtually straight A*s who have posted. Shows you need virtually straight A* for medicine? or merely people with straight A* like to ostentate?

i only have virtually staright A's no A*'s at all, so no you dont need perfect GCSE grades. When you get to alevels you realise what a joke GCSE's are anyway...
Several people I know hold offers for Medicine... and most of them have 7 A*s or more, and straight A predictions. It's tricky.
Reply 16
I posted because the op asked...
Reply 17
Democracy
I bet you're doing 3 sciences and maths for a level eh? :rolleyes:

You left out English Language.

Most places ask for Bs in English language and maths.

THey ask for english language ive looked on websites and they all say chemisty and maths/one onther science

ive been told do what you are good at as its better the have a's at a levels with chemisty and another science and you will be fine im best a science n maths so it doesn't matter. im taking 3 sciences n maths mecanics

i really want to do medicine will i be accepted if i don't get all a*'s at gcse

should you do 4 alevels or 3 the school have told me to to 4 all the way through to a2 but every1 looking at medicone has said only take 3

Do you really need english cause im not as good at english

the best i can get a gcse is 5 a* and 4 a's that providing i do excelltionally well in english and french i think i will get b's 4 them will i still b k

does additonal maths help

what do they look for in an interview
Reply 18
Aaron_1507

You really don't need all A*s. You need good grades in Eng Lang, Maths and Science, and anything extra the unis your applying to ask for (like Nottingham want an A in Physics GCSE/double science, Birmingham want 7A*s, SGUL want an average of an A etc etc). I'm fairly certain they wouldn't look in much detail at what grades were in which subjects either, as long as you met the requirements. Academic stuff's usually just the first barrier anyway... as long as you meet the requirements you'd be better off focusing on your personal statement and interview practice; they're the important bits :smile:
Reply 19
is takeing 3 science and maths too close and should i widden my choices and take geography (my chemisty teacher thinks so) i really wouod like to do medicine any idea's

Latest

Trending

Trending