The Student Room Group

Applying to vet med with a B in Chemistry?

Hi, I’m currently a y12 student who wants to apply to vet med but unfortunately has been predicted a B in chemistry, (I have done some research and know that most unis require AAA for vet med, I have 2As in biology and maths other than chemistry) I have spoken to my chemistry teacher and have been told that my predicted grade cannot be changed… I was told to either apply to vet med courses with a foundation year or apply next year after I get my actual results(hopefully would’ve gotten AAA at that point). I got 8s and 9s in my GCSEs, I have had some work experience in both clinical and non-clinical animal handling and am going to carry on getting more of those. So my question is whether it is worth applying to uni this year given that some unis specify that they wouldn’t consider applications with predicted grades that are not meeting the entry requirements? Another complication with my situation is that I won’t qualify as a ‘home student’ by September 2024, meaning I will have to pay international fees (ie over £33k per year in uni)… My family certainly won’t be able to afford that so I’m very much stuck right now, I don’t know what the next steps are… I also don’t know what I want to do if I can’t do vet med😭Does anyone have any advice or relevant experience about any of the above? Any reply would be appreciated, thank you!!
The issue isn't that most vet schools require AAA but in those that ask for AAB the Bs usually need to be in your third subject, i.e. maths, and As in chemistry and biology, so that is a slight pickle but you do have some options. So Nottingham supposedly do not look at predicted grades and only GCSEs, so you have a chance of applying there and it not being an issue as long as you get A in your actual results. Looking into gateways/prelims is an idea, BUT you generally have to be considered a 'widening participation' candidate, and I'd steer clear of things like Harper Keele 'foundation' and some others as they actually have very little chance of getting into the vet med course and you presumably don't want to be stuck on a course you didn't want to take - read small print. I'd make a table with all the unis (as not that many of them so shouldn't take long) with all their requirements (I'm not up to date) and for the ones which accept AAB, look at which ones actually state that that chemistry must be taken - some may state 'biology and another science subject' etc in which case your B could maybe be in chemistry as maths would be your second A subject instead. I think some unis do also accept the B being in bio/chem if you are a widening participation candidate, but that could be risky as you probably wouldn't know until after you apply. Honestly if in doubt just email admissions explaining the situation, I wouldn't risk applying anywhere (except maybe Nottingham) where you don't meet the predicted grades for and haven't been ok'd by admissions as it is very very competitive and it is an easy thing to whittle applicants down on.

If that was the only issue then as long as you can find even 1 uni to apply to, I think it would be worth it purely for experience of the application process etc, and of course you never know - with the mentality that if you didn't get in it's ok and you can take a gap year and reapply (many people like myself have to do that anyway). I would also maybe press the issue with someone higher up than your chemistry teachers - head of science, head of year, headteacher even? Schools generally like having 'fancy' subjects like vet med to show off (I know mine did) and so while your chemistry teacher may be harsh, perhaps there are avenues to take higher up which can override them, which would open a lot more doors for you personally. I'd probably go full guns in and get parents involved if they are willing, prepare points, show you are otherwise very prepared to be a great vet med applicant and this is the one thing holding you back, show things that would support you getting an A in chemistry - I'd just really fight it as predicted grades are a completely made up concept really, I was working at barely a D in chem but my teachers liked me and wanted a vet med student to show off so gave me an A (which ended up being my actual grade because covid).

However, with the international fees that does complicate things - if you took a gap year and applied for September 2025, would you be considered for home fees then? Nottingham also offer April cohort, and I'm unsure how student finance works around that (@flamingolover?) but if you applied for that start date would you be considered home fees? If it is a case that you'd be fine by September 2025, I'd honestly just take a gap year, but a lot of unis do also allow deferred entry so you could still apply this year if you wanted to, just check with unis prior that they allow that. I never wanted a gap year but it was the best thing that happened to me, I really grew as a person, had a break before starting a very intense course and I worked so I could up my savings for uni, and in long run 1 year (or even 2) is nothing especially if it saves you 33k fees. If that isn't the case, I know some people can get scholarships and some unis may give other financial support, I don't know too much about it personally but there are things you could look into, maybe with discussing with your school and perhaps emailing unis directly to see what is available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending