The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing to Learning Disability Nursing

Hello,
I am about to enter my third year of Adult Nursing and am wondering about going into Learning Disability Nursing. Everything I look at is for people who are not yet nurses anyone know of any routes into learning disabilities nursing for people who have already done a nursing degree also does anyone know of anyone who may be able to offer an experience even just for a few days for someone who is interested in working in learning Disability nursing.
Reply 1
Hey, as far as I know if you want to become a LD nurse you need to start back from scratch and complete a whole new degree. I don't think there are any conversion courses available.
Original post by Northolt999
Hello,
I am about to enter my third year of Adult Nursing and am wondering about going into Learning Disability Nursing. Everything I look at is for people who are not yet nurses anyone know of any routes into learning disabilities nursing for people who have already done a nursing degree also does anyone know of anyone who may be able to offer an experience even just for a few days for someone who is interested in working in learning Disability nursing.
Original post by Northolt999
Hello,

Any conversion courses are extremely competitive and are generally being phased out, with fewer places being offered each year. At the moment I can't think of any universities that are currently offering it.

There is, however, no reason you can't apply for LD jobs with your adult nursing degree, provided you can demonstrate interest in that area. It would be worth contacting local NHS services as well as charities etc. to see if you could get even a day or two shadowing, or some volunteering. Obviously in terms of employment it's likely that an LD or MH nurse would be more of an attractive candidate, so having these additional experiences will really help your application. When you are looking at jobs, you may need to contact the hiring manager if it states MH/LD nurses only to plead your case.

You may find it more difficult however it's certainly possible to get a job in LD nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending