Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whoops!
Sorry Katie i realised i asked you the same thing twice lol, sorry:smile:
Reply 21
haha no problem!
Reply 22
What about if you had a cold?
Might not get 5% extra, but do you think it might give you at least 1/2%?

I guess that 1/2% could make all the difference...
Reply 23
supersam7
What about if you had a cold?
Might not get 5% extra, but do you think it might give you at least 1/2%?

I guess that 1/2% could make all the difference...

You want special consideration for a cold? 'Fraid that's not gonna happen.
A cold?

Lol.

You'd be lucky to get 0.1% extra.
Reply 25
search the old threads, theres a link somewhere to the table of how they award it for what things and how much
5% This is the maximum allowance and will be reserved for the most exceptional cases, such as:
• terminal illness of the candidate;
• terminal illness of a parent/guardian/carer;
• recent death of a member of the immediate family;
• serious and disruptive domestic crises leading to acute anxiety about the family.

4% Very serious problems such as:
• incapacitating illness of candidate or member of immediate family;
• major surgery at or near the time of the examination;
• severe disease;
• severe car accident;
• recent death of member of extended family;
• severe or permanent bodily injury occurring at the time of the examinations;
• domestic crisis at time of examinations.

3% A more common category, many more cases will fall into this group, including:
• recent traumatic experience such as death of a close friend or distant relative;
• recent illness of a more serious nature;
• flare-up of severe congenital conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes, severe asthmatic attack;
• recently broken limbs;
• organ disease;
• physical assault trauma before an examination;
• recent domestic crisis;
• witnessing a distressing event on day of examination.

2% Probably the most common category of allowance.
The majority of cases might fall within this category:
• minor illness at the time of the assessment;
• broken limb on the mend;
• recent viral illness;
• concussion;
• effects of pregnancy (not pregnancy per se);
• hay fever on the day of an examination;
• extreme distress on day of examination;
• allowance on last paper taken in a day when candidate has exceeded 5 hours 30 minutes at GCSE or 6 hours at AS/A Level.

1% Reserved for more minor problems:
• noise during examination which is more than momentary;
• illness of another candidate in examination room;
• stress or anxiety for which medication has been prescribed;
• minor ailments;
• headache;
• minor upset arising from administration problems, such as wrong time allocated.

0% Consideration was given but the addition of marks was considered inappropriate:
Where the request fails to meet the criteria, it will be rejected.

so sayeth JCQ.
effects of pregnancy (not pregnancy per se);

What the hell does that mean?

"My girlfriend is pregnant and she got really stressed and hit me. Give me 2% extra plz"
Reply 28
i imagine it just means you dont get consideration just for being pregant you have to be pregnant and have really bad morning sickness or go into labour or.. something at the time of thr exam.
Reply 29
2% for hayfever!

what if you're on medication for hayfever, can you still get the 2%?
Reply 30
And if your application for special consideration gets rejected, say for hayfever, would you get in any trouble?
Reply 31
5% could mean the difference between the grade you need and the grade below i guess...
Reply 32
As I said before, I qualify for the 5%, and yes I had hoped it would be more. Having done no revision and really not wanting to do exams at all, I thought the exam boards might be more sympathetic. However my top choice uni has basically said they will still take me if I get a grade or 2 less than I need, so this helps more.
Reply 33
i presume with the 2% for hayfever it is for getting really swollen and itchy eyes, rather than just a sneeze
Reply 34
I am applying for special consideration for my hayfever, my eyes were pretty itchy and i had a constant runny nose. But you have to go to the trouble of getting a doctors note which costs approx £10 - £15 so most people wont go to the bother unless it was bad. It will only be 2% but the 1 or 2 extra marks could make all the difference.
Rob 07
I am applying for special consideration for my hayfever, my eyes were pretty itchy and i had a constant runny nose. But you have to go to the trouble of getting a doctors note which costs approx £10 - £15 so most people wont go to the bother unless it was bad. It will only be 2% but the 1 or 2 extra marks could make all the difference.

The thing is though, unless it's an exam which has quite a lot of marks, it's pointless - because like, for my Psychology exam, it's out of 50, say I get ever 49 out of 50, 1% won't add any marks.
Reply 36
Last year, I went through a horrific event the night before my psychology exam. Police, medical staff and social workers all contacted the exam board and then I was awarded 3% extra. To be honest it is pathetic. What happened was awful, I turned up for my exam but was in no fit state - I was predicted an A and came out with a B. People said 'oh you should be pleased with a B' - I am, don't get me wrong - just I know I would have done better. It also affected the rest of my exams - and I didn't get consideration for them.
Reply 37
What I don't get is, if you had a family member dying, why would you go in to do the exam anyway? Exams are not more important than your family. So in that case, wouldn't they just award you your predicted grade or something? :s-smilie:
Is the percentage added to each paper? the raw marks? the overall UMS? I am hopefully getting special consideration (is there any way to know for sure?) and just wondering how it will affect my marks i.e. 4% on one paper not much, 4% on entire subject UMS quite a lot. Additionally, is there any way to definitively know whether you have been awarded special consideration?

Latest