The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
I've been hearing rumors that you have to be 18 to be served in mcdonalds? is this true?

As I said above, the amount of people who have asked me this today.... why would they introduce such a thing, getting rid of a major part of the companies customer base, and theres also the rumor that they are stopping happy meals.... again, we sell so many, especially the nuggets, that this would be ridiculous.
Original post by SortYourLife
As I said above, the amount of people who have asked me this today.... why would they introduce such a thing, getting rid of a major part of the companies customer base, and theres also the rumor that they are stopping happy meals.... again, we sell so many, especially the nuggets, that this would be ridiculous.

One of my mates got ID'd at the Orpington branch.

Do you work at Mc'D's?

Clarify with your manager please because I'm not sure whether this is just a trending internet hoax.
Original post by James A

Do you work at Mc'D's?

Clarify with your manager please because I'm not sure whether this is just a trending internet hoax.

yeah I do, and yeah we have clarified it with the manager, its not true :smile:
Original post by SortYourLife
yeah I do, and yeah we have clarified it with the manager, its not true :smile:

so why did my mate get ID'd?
Original post by James A
so why did my mate get ID'd?

Either the employee was a rumour believing fool, or something monopoly related. (You can only claim if you're over 16 I hear, which is what started the ID rumour leading to that sign)
Reply 6005
Original post by The Rainbow Man
They serve alcohol in McDonalds? :laugh:

They do in Germany I think. Some country anyway, you can get a beer with your meal haha!
Original post by Robskeh
They do in Germany I think. Some country anyway, you can get a beer with your meal haha!

France :smile: My mates went over a few weeks ago with college, got a beer with a happy meal :/
Original post by Robskeh

Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
France :smile: My mates went over a few weeks ago with college, got a beer with a happy meal :/

Damn, I'ma go to germany and france at some point! :laugh:
Original post by James A

Do you work at Mc'D's?

Are you sure your mate's telling the truth? :/ I don't believe this hoax for a second.
Reply 6009
Oh I forgot to add to my last post. 2 days ago I applied for a P/T Crew Member position at the McDonalds near me. The application has been received i'm now awaiting for it to be processed. Does anyone know how long it takes approximately? And would it be recommendable to call them up or go in after a few more days?
Reply 6010
Original post by alexlduffy
Are you sure your mate's telling the truth? :/ I don't believe this hoax for a second.
I'd imagine he got ID'd if he was trying to redeem a Monopoly token. You have to be 16 or over to claim prizes.

Original post by Robskeh
Oh I forgot to add to my last post. 2 days ago I applied for a P/T Crew Member position at the McDonalds near me. The application has been received i'm now awaiting for it to be processed. Does anyone know how long it takes approximately? And would it be recommendable to call them up or go in after a few more days?
Depends how organised the store is. It should probably take a week to hear back from them. In my experience (from my own store) going in isn't going to speed them up :tongue:
Original post by Stacks
I'd imagine he got ID'd if he was trying to redeem a Monopoly token. You have to be 16 or over to claim prizes.

You know, that's probably what it is :P
Reply 6012
Original post by Stacks
Depends how organised the store is. It should probably take a week to hear back from them. In my experience (from my own store) going in isn't going to speed them up :tongue:

Ah, thanks!

I've just noted another problem though haha. There seems to be two ways of viewing jobs.

I applied using this site:

https://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_mcdonalds/crew/search.do

But I found you can apply through this site:

http://jobs.mcdonalds.co.uk/

And the position I applied for isn't on that one, but is the on the first one which I applied to :s-smilie: So confusing!
Original post by Robskeh
Ah, thanks!

I've just noted another problem though haha. There seems to be two ways of viewing jobs.

And the position I applied for isn't on that one, but is the on the first one which I applied to :s-smilie: So confusing!

They should be on both, we only have one ORS (online recruitment system) so they won't be two separate lots of jobs posted. Sounds like an error
Reply 6014
Original post by Robskeh
Ah, thanks!

The people click one is the one on McDonald's actual website although both are official. For some reason the second link takes longer to be updated for jobs.
Reply 6015
Yesterday morning I was on dining area, and customers kept asking me about the 'over 18 rule'. The first I was so confused and I just blankly looked at her and was like what? We had so many phone calls about it too.

Today, I also made a grill slip for a quarter deluxe only cheese. Paying more and getting less cheese on it. Some people amaze me.
tl;dr: what is the process about quitting?

Well, I've had my job just over a month and already considering quitting it.

I have exams coming up and talked to the shift guy twice about how I needed a low number of shifts. Apparently that translates as "four days a week" according to next week's schedule. Even if he took me seriously next time and cut me down to 2 days a week.. that's still 2 days gone.

I have so much to learn, and need to become a hermit studying practically 24/7. I would really REALLY like the job over the Summer. But not enough to destroy my exam results.

I took the job to have something to show on my CV that I had done some part-time work. Managing to only make it a month won't do me any favours.

So what do you think? Should I quit? And if so, how do I go about it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lightburns

I have exams coming up and talked to the shift guy twice about how I needed a low number of shifts. Apparently that translates as "four days a week" according to next week's schedule. Even if he took me seriously next time and cut me down to 2 days a week.. that's still 2 days gone.

I have so much to learn, and need to become a hermit studying practically 24/7. I would really REALLY like the job over the Summer. But not enough to destroy my exam results.

I took the job to have something to show on my CV that I had done some part-time work. Managing to only make it a month won't do me any favours.

Ask if you can bump it down to one during term time, I did that for a few weeks before my exams and then went back up to my normal 2. If you say you can only do two shifts or whatever then they should be alright with it, they have been with me anyway, can't offer any advice on quitting though, everyone at my store that's quit has just done so by stopping turning up for shifts! Hope you get it sorted :smile:
Reply 6018
Original post by lightburns

If you've been there less than a month, then quitting should be fairly easy. If you've not had your initial PR, then you can say you want to quit when you do. Otherwise, just speak to the business manager, say you want to hand in your notice. (S)He'll let you know how long you'll need to work before leaving (I'm pretty sure it'll be 1 week) and then you'll need to write it up. If you work your notice, you'll be entitled to your holiday pay and stuff.

However, I think you should have a chat with them about reducing your shifts first. Tell him exactly how many hours you want, a low number of shifts can mean anything. Or you could try speaking to the business manager about just having the job over holidays. In my experience, both have been perfectly fine and doable for people who work in my store. They're pretty flexible. In the meantime, you can see if there is anyone who you work with who might want to cover extra shifts you don't want?

Yesterday evening just before we shut, we had a few brats come in. I'd sat flurry sauces and toppings beside one of the tills so I could start taking holders and stuff through to the dive and they started trying to take some of them. And they were being rude to the person serving them too. Then one of them comes out with "my daddy says everyone who works at McDonald's is thick and failed all their exams" :rolleyes: Was ready to slap the wee brat. I told him how I'd done in my exams and walked away before I did something bad :p:
Reply 6019
Original post by Ronda
Yesterday evening just before we shut, we had a few brats come in. I'd sat flurry sauces and toppings beside one of the tills so I could start taking holders and stuff through to the dive and they started trying to take some of them. And they were being rude to the person serving them too. Then one of them comes out with "my daddy says everyone who works at McDonald's is thick and failed all their exams" :rolleyes: Was ready to slap the wee brat. I told him how I'd done in my exams and walked away before I did something bad :p:

I'm not sure if I've said this before on here, but once I had someone go to me "I'm not being funny or anything, but how much do they actually pay you to work here?" I told him £6.37 and he just said "Oh okay". Get people who say you must hate working here and they go quiet when you tell them it couldn't be further from the truth.

Was kind of depressing last night when the clocks went forward, meant we got out at just gone 3am rather than 2am. We left the changing of the clock to the openers, hopefully it'll confuse them for at least a few seconds. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending