The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heidigirl
Urgh. I finally felt like I'd got everything perfect today, until it came to cashing up, which really turned it into a bad day.

Apparently I was £20 down (which I am actually upset about because my float was definitely correct when I started and there's nothing to account for it, and I don't want to get accused of doing something wrong) which the manager just said 'hopefully it'll turn up as £20 is an unlikely amount to be down by', and I've used the managers card too much to take stuff off after totalling. I got a talk about slowing down and waiting to make sure they don't change their mind before it goes into the till-which I have been doing, but I had one big order today where my till just went mental and for some reason a lot of people deciding to change their mind after I've asked them if that's everything-and I had to sign one of those retraining sheets. The manager was nice about it, but to be honest, it still felt like being told off and told I was doing everything wrong. :frown:

I know all the stuff on the sheet and I've been following it all though, so I know I'm doing everything right. I don't know what else I can do; I can hardly control how awkward my customers decide to be or when my till decides to throw a hissy fit.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of the retraining thing apart from to make sure I know what I'm doing (which I do) and only really read through the list-was feeling a bit miffed to be honest. Is it a telling off? Does anything happen if it all goes wrong again? :s-smilie:

I wouldn't worry about it - sometimes **** like this just happens. T-Reds (using the managers card) are bad, but they're not majorly so - at the end of the day it's usually not your fault, unless you're accidentally pressing the wrong thing a lot.

As for if it goes wrong again, you'll just have to sign another retraining slip. Three cash retrainers, you get a verbal warning. Another three, you get a written warning. Another two, you get a notice of intent, and one more after that and you get dismissed. But I'm also pretty sure cash retrainers expire after a period of time - so if you get two, but then a long time passes before you get another one, the first two will have been written off.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Reply 7381
I absolutely cannot be bothered wich mcd anymore. Applied to about 10 different places. Zilch.nada. Nothing :/

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 7382
Just quit today but managers still haven't sorted out my tax so anyone know the number for McDonalds payroll people?
Hey i start tomorrow im just wondering are you allowed a couple of fag breaks or are you only allowed to smoke on your break?
Original post by jamessquish
Hey i start tomorrow im just wondering are you allowed a couple of fag breaks or are you only allowed to smoke on your break?

Depends on the manager and length of shift at our place...don't actually smoke but most people do seem to be allowed one if they ask :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
Reply 7385
Original post by SortYourLife
There are aspects that I don't like, like areas I hate working, but everyone has those areas. I think pretty much everyone hates doing fries, (if there is anyone on here that does enjoy doing fries, let me know) although I do have one friend who doesn't seem to mind what she ends up doing.

ME! I love doing fries :biggrin: Mostly because it's just me on my own and no one else to be rubbish and slow me down haha.

Original post by jamessquish

Personally, I will only let someone take a fag break if they only take a 35/40 minute break instead of a 45 minute break, but depends on the manager. It just always annoyed me as a crew member, after working hard to get a queue away, everyone was allowed to go off for a fag break but I still had to keep working as I was without an extra break at all, I never found it fair that just cause someone smoked they got extra breaks :dontknow:
Reply 7386
Original post by piratexpants
Your T-reds can't be helped sometimes but simple things like waiting until the customer has finished ordering before putting it all into the till is a big help. Also at the end of the day if this conversation happens
Customer: "I'll have a Big Mac"
You: "Is that a meal?"
Customer: "no, blah blah blah... Oh and I'll have a medium fries and a coffee"

It's not your problem they can't order properly, charge them for each item individually if they order that way! This happens more often when older people are ordering large number of items.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i

I charge people individually if they say no to a meal too. If they don't understand the menu, i'll explain it so they know for next time and make it a meal for them. But when you get people who get annoyed because you suggested a meal to them and then go and order a meal individually, I won't be going out of my way to make it cheaper.

A lot of these T-red issues should go with NP6, you have to make a lot of mistakes before you need the card.
Reply 7387
Original post by WdA04
Went into Liverpool Street Maccy's the other day, asked for 2 veggie deli meals (wrap + sandwich) and got 2 with chicken in instead (my friend is a vegetarian), we only relased once we got on the train and it began to leave. So annoying.

How can people be so stupid to put chicken in the veggie meals. They had veggie written on their labels too. What made it worse was, A) the girl didn't know how to put employee meals through the till, so I had to ask for a manager to do it, and even with him shouting they are Veggie through people still got it wrong. And I had to wait 5 minutes, so they obviously went and cooked veggie pattys.

Ahh well, a decent 4-11 for the next 2 days. I like these shifts, but not sure how busy it will be now its school holidays again

Come to my store and see for yourself :tongue: I'm always stuck with idiots on bop. The same thing happened the other day with a veggie too, and people finding hair in their food! Was quite ridiculous. :mad:

On the plus side, puts me off eating the food :colondollar:
Original post by tm00131
A lot of these T-red issues should go with NP6, you have to make a lot of mistakes before you need the card.

This. But even with the new better system, I needed the card so many times today - my till drawer got stuck every five minutes and wouldn't open! :tongue:
Reply 7389
Original post by Sami'
Just quit today but managers still haven't sorted out my tax so anyone know the number for McDonalds payroll people?

0208 700 7277
Reply 7390
Original post by tm00131
I charge people individually if they say no to a meal too. If they don't understand the menu, i'll explain it so they know for next time and make it a meal for them. But when you get people who get annoyed because you suggested a meal to them and then go and order a meal individually, I won't be going out of my way to make it cheaper.

I'll charge them individually unless they wanted it large :getmecoat:.

You still get t-reds with NP6 though. T-reds are based on how much money worth in orders has been voided off your till, not how many times you've used the till card. NP6 just means it's less hassle to actually void off the item!
Original post by Ronda
I'll charge them individually unless they wanted it large :getmecoat:.

You still get t-reds with NP6 though. T-reds are based on how much money worth in orders has been voided off your till, not how many times you've used the till card. NP6 just means it's less hassle to actually void off the item!

Whats a t-red?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
NP6 annoyed me, though it is much improved from the old/current POS system - it's just that everything should be easier to upgrade etc... The process could be simplified so much more and it could be a bit smarter.

I suppose it's that bloody game on OurLounger where their way is the only way whereas in practice I'm sure you could do it so many other ways?
Reply 7393
What is NP6? The new till system?

And what are T-Reds? Just when you use a card to void something?

Lol I've been here 2 years and don't know the lingo :P
Reply 7394
Original post by Stacks
Come to my store and see for yourself :tongue: I'm always stuck with idiots on bop. The same thing happened the other day with a veggie too, and people finding hair in their food! Was quite ridiculous. :mad:

On the plus side, puts me off eating the food :colondollar:

Our BOP team is usually immense, the only errors are things like making grilled/crispy chicken salads or the wrong deli since the till put it through wrong as they weren't listening to the customer. I've done that a few times by accident.
Hair in food is a horrible, even with hair nets?
Original post by LittleMissTwinkle
Hi, well i've been called in for a McDonalds Orientation tommorrow, i was just wondering what to expect? how long will it last roughly? & what do i need to take with me..?

i wondering how much i will get paid roughly at 15 years old? :smile:

also please share your experiences at McDonalds!:smile:!

:tsr2:

Mine didn't last more than an hour. We watched a little video all about the history of McDonald's, were talked through the basic rules, then we just had to fill in all the paperwork, I had to take photocopies and originals of my passport and NI card, you will need your bank details if you want to get paid, cos you are still of compulsory school age you're not actually entitled to the NMW but that doesn't mean you will get less. My orientation was a while ago but I think they said under 18's get £4 something, under 21's get £5 something and over 21's get £6.10, I only paid attention to what I get paid.
Original post by Ronda
ME! I love doing fries :biggrin: Mostly because it's just me on my own and no one else to be rubbish and slow me down haha.

Personally, I will only let someone take a fag break if they only take a 35/40 minute break instead of a 45 minute break, but depends on the manager. It just always annoyed me as a crew member, after working hard to get a queue away, everyone was allowed to go off for a fag break but I still had to keep working as I was without an extra break at all, I never found it fair that just cause someone smoked they got extra breaks :dontknow:

Its really unfair at my store, cos we all get a 45 min break in which to eat, but people who smoke get extra fag breaks throughout the day. Apparently it's cos if they don't get a fag they work slower.
I have my first ever shift today from 3-7. Extremely nervous! Anyone got any tips?
My first time doing overnighters tonight! There's another person who hasn't done them before though, so instead of being trained on till at the same time I think I might be stuck in the kitchen as he's already till trained :frown: Maybe on the 2nd or 3rd one I'll be on tills or something though.

Any tips for overnighters in kitchen/or front?
Reply 7399
is anyone else always down on tills? i have no idea where the money goes but in an 8 hour shift i was down 9p. I always double check that i give the right change or that they've given me the correct money. I know its only 9p but when you're not being paid much it really annoys me :angry:

anyone have any tips?

Latest

Trending

Trending