The Student Room Group

what are the best uni's for german??

Hi

Have currently finished my AS levels and about to start my A2s and i keep on getting told that i need to start seriously thinking about unis now. i got numerous prospectuses from march onwards, have looked at many uni guides and the like but am just really indecisive.

About a couple of months ago, i suddenly just took a shining to german. i've done the subject for 6 years now and can't imagine not doing it, and it's really my only subject that's been like my "thing" or talent. Because it's not something that i've been really passionate about for a while and also as i don't think i'll get the grades, i'm ruling out oxbridge but would still like to go to a russell group uni.

have kinda took a shine to KCL, and am infact going on a german taster course there on the 26th june (6 days woop!) but i don't know where else to apply and i know it's encouraged that you apply to 5 places. was thinking of UCL (in london as well) edinburgh and maybe leeds. would like to do a year abroad and am more interested in a more lang based course. can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton (jonnythemoose can help you with Germand at So'ton), Birmingham, Manchester ?
I think all unis include a year abroad in their courses now, and the best way is to try to find each uni's handbook so that you can have a better look at the course, it may help you making a decision ! Taking into account the city and what you could do there is important as well.

Good luck !
Reply 2
Chantalcompowder
Hi

Have currently finished my AS levels and about to start my A2s and i keep on getting told that i need to start seriously thinking about unis now. i got numerous prospectuses from march onwards, have looked at many uni guides and the like but am just really indecisive.

About a couple of months ago, i suddenly just took a shining to german. i've done the subject for 6 years now and can't imagine not doing it, and it's really my only subject that's been like my "thing" or talent. Because it's not something that i've been really passionate about for a while and also as i don't think i'll get the grades, i'm ruling out oxbridge but would still like to go to a russell group uni.

have kinda took a shine to KCL, and am infact going on a german taster course there on the 26th june (6 days woop!) but i don't know where else to apply and i know it's encouraged that you apply to 5 places. was thinking of UCL (in london as well) edinburgh and maybe leeds. would like to do a year abroad and am more interested in a more lang based course. can anyone help?

God that was so weird reading that, because you are in the EXACT same situation as me! I thought it was something I'd written lol! I am quite liking the look of Northampton Uni. Just gotta see what I get for AS German though! But I think I done okay. If I go to Uni, thats defiantely what I want to study x
Reply 3
It depends- some uni courses focus more on modern german, whereas some focus on old stuff like literature.

German looked ok at Northampton but you have to combine it and I didn't feel like I'd be challenged enough. I also hated the uni.

KCL is fab, I put them down as my insurance. But...*cough* Aston. LOL.
Reply 4
Apparently Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick and Leeds are really good for German.:smile:
Reply 5
Exeter and Durham (to add to the list)

These are amongst the top ranked departments. They aren't necessarily "the best" debartments. It's very subjective and individual, as has already been mentioned there are differences between courses at different unis.
Reply 6
River85
Exeter and Durham (to add to the list)

These are amongst the top ranked departments. They aren't necessarily "the best" debartments. It's very subjective and individual, as has already been mentioned there are differences between courses at different unis.

Oh yesh...I see Durham has moved up from 10th in the country for German to 8th:eek: Yay!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Gooner
Apparently Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick and Leeds are really good for German.:smile:

*waves* How are you? Haven't seen you posting in a while.:smile:

I'm not sure about the others, but the Oxford course is mainly literature-based as far as I know, so it's maybe not ideal for someone who wants a more language-based course...
Reply 8
hobnob
*waves* How are you? Haven't seen you posting in a while.:smile:

I'm not sure about the others, but the Oxford course is mainly literature-based as far as I know, so it's maybe not ideal for someone who wants a more language-based course...

:ciao: Hi! I'm alright thanks. Have one hell of a cold though. Couldn't get to sleep last night at all, because I was running up and down the stairs getting a drink to hydrate this sore throat of mine. How are you?:hugs:

Ooh, and I know...I've been a good boy this year, and revised lots!:eek: My exams are over now though, so I can spam on TSR again!:ninja:

Yeah, Oxford's course is hugely literature-based I hear. I was reading an opinion on an article from the Times where this woman was saying that at Oxford she has to read 20 books per year in the languages she's studying for, so for somebody who doesn't like literature I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to be considering Oxford. Durham's pretty similar too though, because for just one module you have to read 8 German books/departmental anthologies of poetry I think, and for the French module it's something like 6. So although there aren't as many books to read as there would be at Oxford, I'd certainly say it's pretty weighty, but literature can be avoided to some extent at Durham. Surely at the majority of the red-bricks there will be some degree of literature involved though, no?:smile:
Reply 9
A lot of the modules at Exeter are quite literary too, although I think it may be possible to avoid literature. I'm looking to do French and German and I'm applying to Southampton, Cardiff, Bristol, Warwick and Exeter (or maybe Cambridge if my AS' go well :s-smilie:). Southampton offer a lot of film and linguistic modules which appeals to me, but I'd advise you to look for module details on each of your prospective university websites too :smile:
Reply 10
Gooner
:ciao: Hi! I'm alright thanks. Have one hell of a cold though. Couldn't get to sleep last night at all, because I was running up and down the stairs getting a drink to hydrate this sore throat of mine. How are you?:hugs:

Currently struggling with my MA dissertation, but otherwise fine.:smile: I've just started writing the first chapter (although there's still plenty of stuff I need to research) and I'm a bit stuck. But I'm sure I'll get it done somehow, and luckily my DPhil offer isn't conditional on my getting a particular grade - although obviously I'm still a bit of a perfectionist, so I wouldn't want a bad grade for it if I could possibly help it.
Yeah, Oxford's course is hugely literature-based I hear. I was reading an opinion on an article from the Times where this woman was saying that at Oxford she has to read 20 books per year in the languages she's studying for, so for somebody who doesn't like literature I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to be considering Oxford. Durham's pretty similar too though, because for just one module you have to read 8 German books/departmental anthologies of poetry I think, and for the French module it's something like 6. So although there aren't as many books to read as there would be at Oxford, I'd certainly say it's pretty weighty, but literature can be avoided to some extent at Durham. Surely at the majority of the red-bricks there will be some degree of literature involved though, no?:smile:

Good point. I suppose it'll be hard to find a purely language-based course that isn't actually a course in comparative linguistics or so; after all, the objective of studying German at degree level isn't to learn the language...:dontknow:
Reply 11
hobnob
Currently struggling with my MA dissertation, but otherwise fine.:smile: I've just started writing the first chapter (although there's still plenty of stuff I need to research) and I'm a bit stuck. But I'm sure I'll get it done somehow, and luckily my DPhil offer isn't conditional on my getting a particular grade - although obviously I'm still a bit of a perfectionist, so I wouldn't want a bad grade for it if I could possibly help it.

Ooh, what's the dissertation about this time? The word 'chapter' implies it has to be pretty long:afraid: Where have you applied to do your DPhil?:smile:
hobnob
Good point. I suppose it'll be hard to find a purely language-based course that isn't actually a course in comparative linguistics or so; after all, the objective of studying German at degree level isn't to learn the language...:dontknow:

Exactly. At the Durham open day a few months back, the head of the German department made it quite clear that for the core language module she doesn't recap much grammar (apart from the subjunctive:p:) - we're expected to have learnt a lot of grammar at school/college. So really, the main aim of the language lessons is to gain proficiency in speaking, listening and learning more complex grammar structures since you can't exactly be taught vocab.
Reply 12
Gooner
Ooh, what's the dissertation about this time? The word 'chapter' implies it has to be pretty long:afraid:

It's 15,000-20,000 words, so it isn't all *that* bad, I suppose, but it still seems like a lot at the moment. I'm writing on the influence of Renaissance-style archaeology (which is really called something else and isn't quite the same as modern archaeology) on literature. And, as I'm always eager to point out, it's not actually as dull as it sounds.:p:
Where have you applied to do your DPhil?:smile:

Exeter and Oxford.:smile: Surprisingly I got offers from both and had a hard time deciding, because both supervisors would have been very good. In the end I accepted Oxford's offer, though, because the library facilities are much better, and that's quite an important factor, since it saves you time and money.
Reply 13
hobnob
It's 15,000-20,000 words, so it isn't all *that* bad, I suppose, but it still seems like a lot at the moment. I'm writing on the influence of Renaissance-style archaeology (which is really called something else and isn't quite the same as modern archaeology) on literature. And, as I'm always eager to point out, it's not actually as dull as it sounds.:p:

15-20,000 words isn't too bad actually. I wrote an 8,000 word essay for English back in March, and could have easily carried on:p: Heh...that's quite a bizarre sounding topic though. I'd never have thought archaeology would have had an influence upon literature:p:

hobnob
Exeter and Oxford.:smile: Surprisingly I got offers from both and had a hard time deciding, because both supervisors would have been very good. In the end I accepted Oxford's offer, though, because the library facilities are much better, and that's quite an important factor, since it saves you time and money.

Woo...congrats! Staying loyal to Oxford then?:p:
Thanks for all the advice guys, and yes i am aware that german at degree level will require some literature, i'm not delusional, but i just don't quite want the amount of literature that oxford offers.

Am also indecisive on whether to do german purely or to combine it with business or linguistics maybe?

anyone on a german course currently could let me know about the modules available at their uni, and if anyone doing it at KCL could give me an idea of the course there as i am falling in love with studying in london or a similar city.
Reply 15
Yo,

I'm at Leeds doing German....well, I'm currently on my year abroad, returning in September for fourth year. I have nothing but praise for Leeds with regards to German...

If you want a look at our modules, go here
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/german/undergraduate.htm

Any questions, schick them my way.
Reply 16
Gooner
15-20,000 words isn't too bad actually. I wrote an 8,000 word essay for English back in March, and could have easily carried on:p: Heh...that's quite a bizarre sounding topic though. I'd never have thought archaeology would have had an influence upon literature:p:

Well, that's my argument, anyway.:wink:
Woo...congrats! Staying loyal to Oxford then?:p:

Thanks.:biggrin: Well, it wasn't because of that, really, but I do look forward to going back. I beginning to get rather sick of waterfowl...
Woo - namecheck!

I'm not there yet, but definitely check out Southampton - you can combine German with another language, film, history etc., and it has a fantastic reputation - with languages being a strong point. It's also a Russell Group uni, which you referred to in the op, and it's not too far away from Sussex.

If you're interested in a language-based/linguistic-y course, then you could do German and Linguistics at looooooads of places. Southampton offers a German (Linguistic Studies) course, which combines learning the German language, learning about German linguistics such as German dialectology and how German has changed as a language etc., and learning about general linguistics not specific to any language, such as child language acquistion, and discourse markers. I find not only languages fascinating, but language as a concept fascinating too - which is why this course is great. Check it out. I'm doing French and German (Linguistic Studies) btw. :biggrin: Having a look at the German page shows that there will be lots of opportunity to study cultural modules, but not any compulsory literature. Modern Languages is very contemporary at Southampton. Anyway, the straight German course there offers lots of options in History, Culture, Literature and Linguistics - plus the chance to do units from unrelated courses such as Philosophy or whatever.

Also, Southampton has a unique language stage system, whereby your progress in the language is give a 'level' from 1 to 7, with 1 being ab initio, 4 being A level stage and 7 being near-native fluency , which makes tracking your progress and achievement all the more easier.

Another link for you:
http://www.humanities.soton.ac.uk/courses.asp?type=1&sbj=40

Anyway, that's all I know. I've totally forgotten all the info about the other mod langs courses :ninja:
jonnythemoose
Woo - namecheck!

I'm not there yet, but definitely check out Southampton - you can combine German with another language, film, history etc., and it has a fantastic reputation - with languages being a strong point. It's also a Russell Group uni, which you referred to in the op, and it's not too far away from Sussex.

If you're interested in a language-based/linguistic-y course, then you could do German and Linguistics at looooooads of places. Southampton offers a German (Linguistic Studies) course, which combines learning the German language, learning about German linguistics such as German dialectology and how German has changed as a language etc., and learning about general linguistics not specific to any language, such as child language acquistion, and discourse markers. I find not only languages fascinating, but language as a concept fascinating too - which is why this course is great. Check it out. I'm doing French and German (Linguistic Studies) btw. :biggrin: Having a look at the German page shows that there will be lots of opportunity to study cultural modules, but not any compulsory literature. Modern Languages is very contemporary at Southampton. Anyway, the straight German course there offers lots of options in History, Culture, Literature and Linguistics - plus the chance to do units from unrelated courses such as Philosophy or whatever.

Also, Southampton has a unique language stage system, whereby your progress in the language is give a 'level' from 1 to 7, with 1 being ab initio, 4 being A level stage and 7 being near-native fluency , which makes tracking your progress and achievement all the more easier.

Another link for you:
http://www.humanities.soton.ac.uk/courses.asp?type=1&sbj=40

Anyway, that's all I know. I've totally forgotten all the info about the other mod langs courses :ninja:

Thanks! this is some really great advice and now strongly thinking of southampton as one of my 5 choices!

do you reckon you could tell me about the city and what its like? as some of my friends have said that parts of it aren't that nice?

plus where else did you apply?
thanks again
Chantalcompowder
Thanks! this is some really great advice and now strongly thinking of southampton as one of my 5 choices!

do you reckon you could tell me about the city and what its like? as some of my friends have said that parts of it aren't that nice?

plus where else did you apply?
thanks again

Haha my powers of persuasion are getting a work out tonight :biggrin:

I can't talk about the city too much, as I don't live there yet. I'm somewhat unqualified to pass comment on most things really, but I've visited it a couple of times, and it seems like a great city. It's renowned for being very green, and BRILLIANT for shopping. It's a big city with a population of over 200,000 and a large student contingent (two universities), so naturally there are 'rough' areas - but you'll find that anywhere.

Oh, and I applied to York, St. Andrews, Newcastle and Cambridge, and got offers from all but the mighty Cam :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending