The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do you want to work at Waitrose?

I have my group interview tomorrow and the thought of this question is disturbing me! :s-smilie:

What did you current employees answer this question with?

I know its stupid to get hung up on one question, but I can't get it out of my head!!
Reply 5721
Original post by beavertron
In addition to this, my friends can all get almost unlimited unpaid time off whenever they are busy, and roughly the same time as me paid leave.

To be honest, when you signed your contract you signed to say that you could and would work those hours. The branch would have recruited you for them for a reason.

Far short of trying to change your contractual hours there's not anything you can do. Waitrose don't generally like unpaid leave unless you have a good reason... You signed up to work not to 'have unpaid leave'.
Original post by looby5776
Why do you want to work at Waitrose?

I have my group interview tomorrow and the thought of this question is disturbing me! :s-smilie:

What did you current employees answer this question with?

I know its stupid to get hung up on one question, but I can't get it out of my head!!

Research the company a little, have a look on their website. A popular reason is the benefits the staff get, we are partners rather than employees, a good bonus which is extremely hard to come by in other companies, also if you are of college/uni age the possibility to progress onto the graduate scheme. That's all i can think of right now!
i have a waitrose offer clinic at warminster to discuss buisness dress, our rota's and traing details ect. the dress requirements say casual but i dont know what to wear (male) i normally wouldnt care but as its waitrose and i really want this job do i go for a suit?, shirt and chinos? or something else?
Reply 5724
Original post by benjamindemar05
i have a waitrose offer clinic at warminster to discuss buisness dress, our rota's and traing details ect. the dress requirements say casual but i dont know what to wear (male) i normally wouldnt care but as its waitrose and i really want this job do i go for a suit?, shirt and chinos? or something else?

If you've got an offer clinic then you've got a job. Don't go too casual just wear a smart shirt and trousers.

Following an offer clinic they'll be a welcome evening this is smart dress as its when you meet your management team.
Reply 5725
Original post by beavertron
Hello, Im in a real dilema,
I started at waitrose in october, and the money is better than all my freinds, and the work is as any other job ive had. but i work 6am-11am saturday, and 8-12 noon sunday.

So ive got the worst shifts ever. and since i work 2 days a week, waitrose entitles me to 9 days a year off.

This obviously isnt enough, I mean, take 4 for skiing holiday, then 1 for a school trip im going on, then another 4 for summer holiday. And its all used.
But i play on a paintball team and previously i have been camping with freinds etc over the weekend.

My manager looks annoyed when i ask for unpaid leave and for that reason i dont think she likes me, I mean, they gave me 3 days to use between october 11th and feb the 1st and i took 7.

What should i do? I could quit and get a job elsewhere which is more flexible, or should i just complain to my manager that it is unfair that i work 5 days at school, then 2 days at the weekend for 9 days reward. or 9/104 days off ??/

Really stuck here.

Original post by Lucy King
To be honest, when you signed your contract you signed to say that you could and would work those hours. The branch would have recruited you for them for a reason.

Far short of trying to change your contractual hours there's not anything you can do. Waitrose don't generally like unpaid leave unless you have a good reason... You signed up to work not to 'have unpaid leave'.

You see, this always confuses me. We're actually entitled to 5.6 weeks holiday. For full-timers, we receive this in our bank holiday days off or time back for working them, for part timers, who work only a saturday and sunday, it actually means they get sold short. A part timer working saturday and sunday 2 days a week should actually be entitled to 11.2 days off, because though you don't 'work' bank holidays, you're not actually contracted to it so therefor it shouldn't be counted as your holiday. May want to bring this up with your personnel.
I'm a little confused. I had a group interview for a new store and was offered hours and told i had got the job. I filled out the online health questionnaire and now i have to book myself in for a '1st interview'? does that mean i don't actually have the job?
Reply 5727
Original post by Samanth19
I'm a little confused. I had a group interview for a new store and was offered hours and told i had got the job. I filled out the online health questionnaire and now i have to book myself in for a '1st interview'? does that mean i don't actually have the job?

I think the system got a little confused with you! If you've been verbally told you have a job and have done the health questions then I think you should be fine!

Just phone or e mail the recruiter to find out what is going on for sure!
Hi all,

I have got through my group interview :biggrin: and am now booked in for a 1 to 1 interview next week.

It is a newly opened store, and the position is 'supermarket assistant'.

Could anyone give me some tips for this interview please? I don't want to mess up now I've got over the first hurdle :smile:

Thanks
Reply 5729
by any chance is this interview for the birmingham branch?
Original post by Yaser

Nope :smile:

Anyone got any tips?
Tell them you've always wanted to be a checkout assistant, since you were a small child.
Reply 5732
Hi,
All partners at my store have been told we will be having a pay review by the end of the month - I was just wondering what the pay review is based on? And pay go down?
Thanks
Reply 5733
Original post by keh92
Hi,
All partners at my store have been told we will be having a pay review by the end of the month - I was just wondering what the pay review is based on? And pay go down?
Thanks

Everyone's pay is reviewed at this time of year unless you ate on a warning. There is no guarantee that you will get a rise. Pay does not go down, just up. You will be paid according to the grading that your on.
I'm using working at Waitrose as my one of references for my new job, do I put my section manager or the branch manager on there?

Thanks
Original post by Yaser

i applied there, had my interview on wednesday afternoon? i think it went ok but they did say that there were 165 people and 39 posts... so i'm not getting my hopes up but i think it went as well as i could have hoped for lol :smile:
Reply 5736
I am currently totally re writing the Waitrose Guide. Including info about Measuring the Magic etc...

It's been a long time since I had an interview, so I need everyones help!

I want to try and cover as many types of interviews as inductions as possible in the guide, as obv they vary between core branches and convenience.. Old stores and new...

I also want to create a decent jargon buster, for the guide..

If anyone has any input/views/ideas for the guide, please PM me.. I am starting to re write from mid week next week..

Thanks!
I know that we can claim discount on various things (like Vue cinema) but what is the actual procedure? Do we just show our discount cards/ or tell them that we are a partner?
Reply 5738
Original post by musicman94
i applied there, had my interview on wednesday afternoon? i think it went ok but they did say that there were 165 people and 39 posts... so i'm not getting my hopes up but i think it went as well as i could have hoped for lol :smile:

Hmm wednesday afternoon, i also had my interview on wednesday i had mine at 5.30 lol were u in the same interview as me? and did he say that 165 people were going to be interviewed i thought he said that 165 applied for the job because thats alot of people to interview for a convenience store.
Original post by Samanth19

I have to do that too. Is it for the Warminster store? It's just for us to sign our contracts and to find out more really and, hand over bank details etc. If it is for the Warminster store you should have received an email? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending