The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrightLightsBigCity
How flexible is the work?
Could a 16 year old work only evenings/one evening per week?
Does one have to work a minimum amount of hours per week?
Do they allow part-timers to take holidays (unpaid)?

Have to work a minimum of 8 hours a week, but you can split this into 2 evenings. You won't have any unpaid holiday. There's way too many partners in branch to be able to organise that kind of thing. You can swap shifts with people but it has to be within reason (so not like once every fortnight) and its strictly between the 2 partners, and nothing to do with the managers. So if one persons shift is longer than the other, the financial settlement is strictly done privately so choose who you pair up with wisely.
So. Many. Rejections :frown: I don't even know what I'm doing wrong in my application questions. Ran it through with the lady at the Job Centre and she said it should have got me at least an interview in at least one of the many places I applied. This is so depressing.
Reply 5982
I've got an interview on Friday. I've just realised I don't have my national insurance card. I know the number and have a UK passport, is that sufficient for the interview?
Reply 5983
Original post by Lizia
I've got an interview on Friday. I've just realised I don't have my national insurance card. I know the number and have a UK passport, is that sufficient for the interview?

I think providing you have proof of your entitlement to work (passport) and you know your NI number you'll be ok. You will need to also provide your NI card at a later stage as they will need to take copies for the file.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
got an interview on tuesday. but me and the boys are going off for a 10-day holiday leaving on the last day of June, should i tell them then or not?
Original post by don_lad_
got an interview on tuesday. but me and the boys are going off for a 10-day holiday leaving on the last day of June, should i tell them then or not?

Is it a group interview you are going to? At my group interview they gave us a sheet at the end and on one of the parts you had to put down if you had any planned holiday.
Original post by putthekettleon
Is it a group interview you are going to? At my group interview they gave us a sheet at the end and on one of the parts you had to put down if you had any planned holiday.

yeah it is. ah **** that'll **** me then. at least I know what food i'm going to say i am haha
Reply 5987
Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I'm looking at applying for a couple of vacancies, both of them are listed as temporary. Just wondering how long the standard temp contract is at Waitrose?

Thanks

Josh
Reply 5988
Original post by josh_bh
Hi, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I'm looking at applying for a couple of vacancies, both of them are listed as temporary. Just wondering how long the standard temp contract is at Waitrose?

Thanks

Josh

Generally 13 weeks, they can be reviewed at any stage during this period or terminated at 13 weeks.
Reply 5989
interview done
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5990
For waitrose part time jobs i've never seen any in my area advertised on line. I guess they have such a big wait list but i know people are always getting jobs there. Can i just pop into my local wait rose to hand in my cv to be put on the wait list?
Reply 5991
Hi, i went to a waitrose group interview last week and i thought the interview went pretty well but at the one-to-one interview i told them i had 3 weeks planned holiday AND wouldnt be able to work this week or next due to exams. I have just gotten an email saying they havent been able to match me to a position but will keep my details on file for the next 3 months.

I am wondering if this is the usual procedure for all rejections or whether i should stay hopeful that they may call me back. Any ideas?
Reply 5992
Got a group interview next week, wondering whether or not anyone can give me a heads up on what goes on and if anyone has any tips?

thanks
Original post by weez3r
Got a group interview next week, wondering whether or not anyone can give me a heads up on what goes on and if anyone has any tips?

thanks

search function (meant in the nicest way possible)
Reply 5994
Sorry, what?
Original post by weez3r
Sorry, what?

It's means that it's been covered on the thread already, but no harm in repeating :smile: Basically, it takes around 3 hours. You do a mixture of activities all with the other people who also want to job. Do a couple of get to know each other activities which can be slightly cringe worthy at first but just relax into it. You have to do various like sales pitch exercises just to test your team work skills. Also have to answer your standard job interview questions but just in front of other people. That can be quite nerve racking but just try pretend they aren't there and definitely don't compare yourself to what other people have said - SO harsh and will not be well received. You do a tour of the branch etc as well and discuss the partnerships values and stuff.

Overall it's really boring and very long, but the job at the end is worth it. Just be super friendly and smile a lot, look smart too.
Original post by JustCharley
Have to work a minimum of 8 hours a week, but you can split this into 2 evenings. You won't have any unpaid holiday. There's way too many partners in branch to be able to organise that kind of thing. You can swap shifts with people but it has to be within reason (so not like once every fortnight) and its strictly between the 2 partners, and nothing to do with the managers. So if one persons shift is longer than the other, the financial settlement is strictly done privately so choose who you pair up with wisely.

8 hours a week is accurate, however shift swapping vary's from branch to branch, in my branch is HAS to be cleared by managers in writing and they sort it in the time cards so you get the correct pay for the shift your doing, however it is your responsibility to ensure you have it cleared and in writing, other wise they get very grumpy ,only got one of my shifts covered once , but a few girls on my old section got shifts covered regularly and they didnt like it since they never knew who was gonna turn up at one stage,
however most mangers are quite reasonable about time off, with part timers, with both your paid holiday and unpaid time off as loing as your honest about it and give them enough warning (my manger let me work an early shift rather then my evening one once so i could go see good charlotte on the condition i did some overtime later that week, paid of course, WIN)
i only work a 5 hour shift! i've only ever done more than 8 hours a week with overtime at christmas but there's hardly any available in my store at the moment.
there are some hours on ops i've put myself forward for (and i'm hoping i get) but would you say it's relatively 'easy' to pick up or is it quite complex?
Reply 5998
What day do we get paid on this month? I know it's officially the 26th but is there any chance that we may get paid on the monday? It's fairly urgent as I have to pay my university accommodation deposit!
Hello,

I previously worked in waitrose and would like to use them for a job reference.
Do you know who's details I should provide under 'Contact Name' and 'Contact no.'

Many thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending