The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8280
Hey. I was thinking of applying for a job at havant waitrose part time as im at uni in portsmouth. for part of my degree we have to do the occasional field trip, some abroad to places like tenerife. Will it be a problem for me to get the days off. what im thinking is that i'll only be part time so working about 2 days a week so if i have 21 days holiday i might be able to cover the trips with that. If not will they be strict enough to say i cant go??
Original post by butlj016
Hey. I was thinking of applying for a job at havant waitrose part time as im at uni in portsmouth. for part of my degree we have to do the occasional field trip, some abroad to places like tenerife. Will it be a problem for me to get the days off. what im thinking is that i'll only be part time so working about 2 days a week so if i have 21 days holiday i might be able to cover the trips with that. If not will they be strict enough to say i cant go??

If you work two days a week then you will get 9 days paid holiday each year. Your branch may let you do a couple of extra as unpaid leave or getting someone to cover you but I think if you need 21 days off then they might not allow that many.
hi,

ive just started off at waitrose and i was wondering if someone could explain how the pay works i.e. paydays, when your pay for that month is cut off before payday, any different rules for temps ect.

thanks so much
Original post by customerservant
hi,

ive just started off at waitrose and i was wondering if someone could explain how the pay works i.e. paydays, when your pay for that month is cut off before payday, any different rules for temps ect.

thanks so much

All the information is on the secure intranet go to the following website: www.partnerintarnet.co.uk and register using your employee number. Also pay information is available via your PartnerLink account.
^^ the above website should read www.partnerintranet.co.uk
The application process for waitroise feels like time lag it's so long. Is it worth it in the end? Anyone currently working at waitroise how did you get the job and any tips for apply to these high demand jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
With God's help, I'll get my job back at Waitrose this Summer. I actually kinda enjoyed working there last year, and the fact I worked in central London made me love it even more.
Original post by studentwiz
The application process for waitroise feels like time lag it's so long. Is it worth it in the end? Anyone currently working at waitroise how did you get the job and any tips for apply to these high demand jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh so far it has been worth it. If you get the job then they seem to appreciate that you've had to do a lot to get it; they don't treat you like an idiot and you aren't simply another body to order about, you do get to make decisions. (from what i've seen so far)

in terms of getting a job, a lot of it is the attitude. You have to seem eager and actually interested in the job. Not interested as in you just want money (which lets be honest, is what most of us start off wanting), but show that if you were to work there, you would give all your effort because you genuinely want the business to do well.
Original post by Blabyda
tbh so far it has been worth it. If you get the job then they seem to appreciate that you've had to do a lot to get it; they don't treat you like an idiot and you aren't simply another body to order about, you do get to make decisions. (from what i've seen so far)

in terms of getting a job, a lot of it is the attitude. You have to seem eager and actually interested in the job. Not interested as in you just want money (which lets be honest, is what most of us start off wanting), but show that if you were to work there, you would give all your effort because you genuinely want the business to do well.

This is a really good answer, summed it up all in one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8289
I have a waitrose group interview on Monday. Would greatly appreciate any help from people who have already been through that process. :wink:
Original post by itnty
I have a waitrose group interview on Monday. Would greatly appreciate any help from people who have already been through that process. :wink:

What help would you like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8291
Original post by curved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, judging from the stuff I've read on other people's experience, the group interview consists of:

1) introducing yourself to the group
2) an icebreaker type challenge
3) presenting your answer to the questions they give you
4) selling a product with your group

Is there anything else I need to prepare for?
Reply 8292
Original post by curved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, if you're given a product to sell how would you go about doing that?
For example, waitrose essential cornflakes?
I don't feel like there's anything extraordinary to say about that... all I can think of is if it was healthy/ a good price, which are all quite boring things to say. :confused:
Original post by navarre
With God's help, I'll get my job back at Waitrose this Summer. I actually kinda enjoyed working there last year, and the fact I worked in central London made me love it even more.

How do you plan on getting it back?

Remember you from the gap yah times. I actually miss working there, was enjoyable in some ways. but since mine's also a Central London branch, I doubt I'd be able to get it back.
Original post by itnty
Also, if you're given a product to sell how would you go about doing that?
For example, waitrose essential cornflakes?
I don't feel like there's anything extraordinary to say about that... all I can think of is if it was healthy/ a good price, which are all quite boring things to say. :confused:

I'd say you have everything to prepare for. I actually didn't really prepare as I nearly didn't go because I thought I would never get the job!

My group had a balloon pump haha. You literally think of the most random thing - essential cornflakes? Easy - they make great edible confetti. Kills two birds with one stone.

Literally we had the most random selling points. You have to be memorable 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itnty

Learn loads about the partnership, it's history and what they do now.. like community matters and Leckford farm: worked for me!
Original post by itnty
Well, judging from the stuff I've read on other people's experience, the group interview consists of:

1) introducing yourself to the group
2) an icebreaker type challenge
3) presenting your answer to the questions they give you
4) selling a product with your group

Is there anything else I need to prepare for?

i never had to sell a product in my interview, instead we were given facts about waitrose/john lewis and had to discern the true ones from the false ones. If you get that task it's good if you have a decent knowledge of the company (about the benefits and their core values primarily) but it's mainly a task about working with others. The 3 people who got involved most and played leadership roles, as in organising the group, allowing everyone to speak their opinion as well as discussing their own were the ones who ended up getting a job.

If you do have to sell a product though don't worry, you won't be tested on how much they want to buy it; to be honest that skill comes with experience of being on the shop floor. What they'll be testing is how you come across. They know you'll be nervous and may not know what to say, what is important is to SMILE, and come across as warm and welcoming.

The company's main focus is customer service so in the whole interview they're essentially looking for you to smile, be polite, be approachable and have a degree of confidence. If you don't have those; fake them. I'm not a smiley person but i made sure i grinned every moment of that interview, and then at the end they told us they were watching to see if you smiled because "if you can't smile at your interviewer, then how can you smile at a customer?"
Reply 8297
I'm probably over thinking this.
I'll just have to relax and be myself rather than taking it so seriously.

Thank you to everyone's advice!
Original post by itnty
I'm probably over thinking this.
I'll just have to relax and be myself rather than taking it so seriously.

Thank you to everyone's advice!

Don't worry :smile: it's not as bad as you think. after the ice breaker you do become pretty relaxed and to be honest, once you're in there you can tell the interviewers like you or not.

i've been in 2 group interviews and some of the people there clearly won't get jobs from the start. In one interview 3 of the women came in casual dress (as in jeans etc) and loudly said before hand that "they didn't really care if they got the job or not"

and in the second, so many people sat there with the biggest frown on their face looking unbelievably bored, and another guy said to me during one of the tasks we were working on "Well I am older, and have more life experience than you so i'm probably right". (might I add I was actually correct :rolleyes:) but it's safe to say that about 50% of the candidates have no chance from the very beginning. and you're clearly preparing for the interview so you've got a pretty good chance now that you've made it this far.
Original post by Blabyda
Don't worry :smile: it's not as bad as you think. after the ice breaker you do become pretty relaxed and to be honest, once you're in there you can tell the interviewers like you or not.

i've been in 2 group interviews and some of the people there clearly won't get jobs from the start. In one interview 3 of the women came in casual dress (as in jeans etc) and loudly said before hand that "they didn't really care if they got the job or not"

and in the second, so many people sat there with the biggest frown on their face looking unbelievably bored, and another guy said to me during one of the tasks we were working on "Well I am older, and have more life experience than you so i'm probably right". (might I add I was actually correct :rolleyes:) but it's safe to say that about 50% of the candidates have no chance from the very beginning. and you're clearly preparing for the interview so you've got a pretty good chance now that you've made it this far.

I agree - there were so many people in my group of ten that obviously wouldn't get it. Some people are obviously not made for retail eg they're very shy and reclusive and never take a stand.

I completely embarrassed myself and said the most awful thing (it came out like an innuendo when it really wasn't!) and had both SM's in my interview red in the face and one tearing up but I laughed along and obviously it made me memorable :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending