The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Will somebody tell me what is going to change when my Somerfield branch (I work about 10 hours a week) becomes a Waitrose? (I'm not talking about the signs above the doors etc.)

Some people at work seem to think it'll be exactly the same (i.e. same people, same managers (but a new 'store manager') but with a different uniform, different products etc.

Others seem to think that there will be a major difference once we become a Waitrose as it is obviously a top end retailer, e.g. Mum says it will be much stricter.

I can see where both arguments are coming from so I thought I'd ask the experts (you guys) about it.. :smile:

Thanks.
BJP
Will somebody tell me what is going to change when my Somerfield branch (I work about 10 hours a week) becomes a Waitrose? (I'm not talking about the signs above the doors etc.)

Some people at work seem to think it'll be exactly the same (i.e. same people, same managers (but a new 'store manager') but with a different uniform, different products etc.

Others seem to think that there will be a major difference once we become a Waitrose as it is obviously a top end retailer, e.g. Mum says it will be much stricter.

I can see where both arguments are coming from so I thought I'd ask the experts (you guys) about it.. :smile:

Thanks.

Seeing as we don't know what its like before, we can't make an accurate judgement. You'll find its a friendly atmosphere but you'll be expected to work hard with huge emphasis placed on the customer service side of the business. You'll also have access to all our benefits including John Lewis discount, special offers via the website (thorpe park and stuff) and most importantly, partnership bonus
BJP

Thanks.

You see, at the moment you put the boxes on the shelves and rip the front off, at waitrose everything is removed and stacked nicely. Other than this, customer service trainign will be given as this is seen as waitrose's forté and uniform obviously, and obviously your branch will get a complete facelift.
Reply 1183
Misteryom
You see, at the moment you put the boxes on the shelves and rip the front off, at waitrose everything is removed and stacked nicely. Other than this, customer service trainign will be given as this is seen as waitrose's forté and uniform obviously, and obviously your branch will get a complete facelift.

Not too different then, 'cuz personally I always look pretty smart and give good polite customer service (about the only one that does lol :tongue:) and I don't rip the boxes open etc., I like making all the shelves look neat :smile:
BJP
Not too different then, 'cuz personally I always look pretty smart and give good polite customer service (about the only one that does lol :tongue:) and I don't rip the boxes open etc., I like making all the shelves look neat :smile:

Even Somerfields exceptional customer service wont come close to the Waitrose standard I'm afraid, Waitrose standard, is a little too much
Reply 1185
Misteryom
Even Somerfields exceptional customer service wont come close to the Waitrose standard I'm afraid, Waitrose standard, is a little too much

Lol our customer service on the whole is pretty average. But to be honest there's not a lot more I and a couple of the others can do to please customers (I guess with Waitrose if anything it might be less personal and more strict.following procedures?! - like at the moment I offer to carry shopping out for old people etc.)
BJP
Lol our customer service on the whole is pretty average. But to be honest there's not a lot more I and a couple of the others can do to please customers (I guess with Waitrose if anything it might be less personal and more strict.following procedures?! - like at the moment I offer to carry shopping out for old people etc.)

Carry to car, helping the older generation with trolleys/shopping lists etc, the personal touch with customers (on checkouts especially), will all be seen as waitrose standard. We can never really do too much for a customer.
BJP

There are procedures of course, standard customer service is
Customer asks for product
Partner takes customer to product, chatting politely on the way
Partner asks which specific type of product customer would like
Partner passes product to customer
customer is happy
Partner asks if there anything else they can help with
Customer usually says no and walks away

One day very nice customer comes along
Partner does his/her thaaaang
Customer compliments the service at the welcome desk
PAY RISEE WOOP WOOP
Reply 1188
BJP

Thanks.

Basically Waitrose will come in and rip out any element of Somerfield. Your managers will all be trained to Waitrose standard and you will get the "interim" uniform which is a black shirt, trousers or skirt and a black apron.
At least you won't have to wear the old uniform!

If you need any more info feel free to post on here or PM me.

Lucy
Hi guys, i've got a group interview on Monday and I am really nervous! I was just wondering if anyone could help as I am going to University in October and was just wondering if there is much point going along, if they will employ me to work for a few months as could i get a student transfer/work in the same branch during hols or do you actually have to have completed the 3 months working there before asking about a transfer?!
Thank You!
Reply 1190
crystal_rose
Hi guys, i've got a group interview on Monday and I am really nervous! I was just wondering if anyone could help as I am going to University in October and was just wondering if there is much point going along, if they will employ me to work for a few months as could i get a student transfer/work in the same branch during hols or do you actually have to have completed the 3 months working there before asking about a transfer?!
Thank You!

With Student transfers you have to be compent in your role (normally 3 months) so I would say go along for the group interview but they will ask what your plans are so be honest!

I will say that all new starters in my branch have only been employed on temporary contracts (13 weeks) but that may just be us.
Thank you Lucy! yes i will be honest then because it was only temporary so hopefully it will be around the same time frame! what branch do you work for if you don't mind me asking?!
Reply 1192
crystal_rose
Thank you Lucy! yes i will be honest then because it was only temporary so hopefully it will be around the same time frame! what branch do you work for if you don't mind me asking?!

I work at a branch in the "KT" postcode. Im not saying they will offer a temprorary contract but they might.
Reply 1193
Lucy King
Basically Waitrose will come in and rip out any element of Somerfield. Your managers will all be trained to Waitrose standard and you will get the "interim" uniform which is a black shirt, trousers or skirt and a black apron.
At least you won't have to wear the old uniform!

If you need any more info feel free to post on here or PM me.

Lucy

..hey again..continuing from our chat the other day (sort of).

i got my "training schedule" thingy the other day - 54 hours over 3 weeks. well i can't do that because of exam leave. so i rang up and told the nice lady, who said she'd cut it down a lot for me.

also, it had "meat" as the reference at the top and meat/fish cutting training on it even though i'm supposed to be on the checkouts. so that was odd.

what i want to know is what training is the normal? it should be the case that i'm going to be doing quite a lot less (nearer 15-20 hopefully) than the 54 hours originally suggested (54 hours is excessive in my opinion for someone who hasn't been in retail for the past two and a half years, never mind someone that has...even 15-20 is too much..something crazy is going on here right?!).
Reply 1194
BJP
..hey again..continuing from our chat the other day (sort of).

i got my "training schedule" thingy the other day - 54 hours over 3 weeks. well i can't do that because of exam leave. so i rang up and told the nice lady, who said she'd cut it down a lot for me.

also, it had "meat" as the reference at the top and meat/fish cutting training on it even though i'm supposed to be on the checkouts. so that was odd.

what i want to know is what training is the normal? it should be the case that i'm going to be doing quite a lot less (nearer 15-20 hopefully) than the 54 hours originally suggested (54 hours is excessive in my opinion for someone who hasn't been in retail for the past two and a half years, never mind someone that has...even 15-20 is too much..something crazy is going on here right?!).

It seems so, If your on Checkouts I don't know why they are intially training you on meat? That is worth checking. 15-20 Hours will include your induction, customer service, product knolw, and checkouts training. I suspect.

Best of checking, no one at my branch has that much training but we are an established branch and not new! Is this a conversion branch?

Lucy
Reply 1195
Lucy King
It seems so, If your on Checkouts I don't know why they are intially training you on meat? That is worth checking. 15-20 Hours will include your induction, customer service, product knolw, and checkouts training. I suspect.

Best of checking, no one at my branch has that much training but we are an established branch and not new! Is this a conversion branch?

Lucy

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Yup, this is a new branch.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this resolved :smile:

Thanks again!
My till training was 3 hours long. Lucy is there multimedia training for checkouts because I've never received this. I think the checkout manager forgot to request it for me
Reply 1197
I know you have to do POB (2) officialy but I don't think there is anything else.
Lucy King
I know you have to do POB (2) officialy but I don't think there is anything else.

Cheers. Its not my section and I only ever do the odd hour or 2 every now and then so its not something worth enquiring about
Can anyone tell me what the official protocol is on having a day unpaid? My holidays got screwed up by one ASM and when I went to do them again I found out that of all the days I booked, I couldn't have my birthday off! It also happens to be like a day before a few pretty major exams. At first I was like "OK I will try and find cover" but everyone on my section is busy! I REALLY need it off so am going to ask for it unpaid, but it's not something I really want to do...

Latest

Trending

Trending