The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cbatten565
does anyone know what i should wear at an induction day??

Both me and the other person on my induction wore jeans and a t-shirt and hoodie (for interviews we were smart - but were told by personal that we could wear whatever for induction - your not working on the shop floor - your in frount of a computer for most of it - and your not trying to impress anyone - you have done that bit so well done for getting through. My induction was about 4 hours and I think you're paid for it.
I know it might be different for different stores but how do dry goods know which cage to take out? Two other partners and me (all from checkouts) were asked to help dry goods and we did not have a clue which cage to take out but we found a friendly dry goods SM or ASM who gave us a cage to work - but not sure how he knew which one to do!
Reply 1782
i had my group interview on friday, to my suprise it was quite simple..
there was only 5 of us!
we did the bingo game..
then we did the little mini presentation about ourselves..we were given 6 questions
something on the lines of:
1] what have you done in the past 18 months
2] proudest achievement
3] what do you want to do in the future
4] hobbies and interest
5]...can't remember this one!
6] if you were picked to go on ready, steady cook... which 5 ingredients would you pick and why?

then we had the selling activity... we were given a bar of organic chocolate and try and use our skils to sell it and everything..

and then all the feedback and thoughts!

i got the call back today for the one to one interview.. yay wish me luck!!

and good luck to everyone else!
cbatten565
mate im not beign funy but eight hours seems very long ! for a part time job! and is shirt and trousers what everyone wheres?

It is long, but you have to do a lot of training for the job - mine was 12-8pm - you won't understand until you have seen the list of videos and quizzes you need to do.

Ye, most will dress smart-casual.

tiddlytom
I know it might be different for different stores but how do dry goods know which cage to take out? Two other partners and me (all from checkouts) were asked to help dry goods and we did not have a clue which cage to take out but we found a friendly dry goods SM or ASM who gave us a cage to work - but not sure how he knew which one to do!

Speak to the SM/ASM/3rd Hand usually - (on fresh) I usually just ask what needs working and do that, but usually you will have a good idea.

DG - pretty much the same, if its DTS stuff then usually just pick any old cage, if you are doing backstock, check which fixtures you need to do.
tiddlytom

Depends, usually there will be someone you can ask who will say that a certain thing needs working- or you will be told to work deliveries or something.

On fresh i just ask whom ever is about (whether it is the third hand , ASM , or SM)
Reply 1785
Leighthesim
Depends, usually there will be someone you can ask who will say that a certain thing needs working- or you will be told to work deliveries or something.

On fresh i just ask whom ever is about (whether it is the third hand , ASM , or SM)

The chances are the Third Hand won't know, the SM is in the office and the ASM is running around like a looney putting stock out, therefore grab a cage and work it!
Leighthesim
i am definitely sure, it was on the white board in the dining room yesterday, it said that we will be Trialing it when the supplier gets the material in again and that our SM's will have samples soon (and then something about the supplier not being dell and rodney) , And then also our ASM was on about it to me after i dropped pea and ham soup, and it went all over my skirt- saying that when we get the new uniform, i will be able to just change my apron, rather then walking around all day with a dirty skirt, (matched my cream stained body warmer though, lol).

I was doing overtime on checkouts today and a bottle of red wine decided to fly off and smash. Honestly if I did not have the apron (black uniform), I would probably had to go home and change, most of it landed on the apron so I was ok just to change it with a spare and continue.
Lucy King
The chances are the Third Hand won't know, the SM is in the office and the ASM is running around like a looney putting stock out, therefore grab a cage and work it!

Actually in my branch it is alot different with fresh- the third hand usually knows whats happening, when one of the ASM's is in and the SM is in, the ASM alot of the time is doing fruit and veg and then out SM is telling us what needs doing and also is fiddling round with things on the computer on the shop floor, and he also puts alot of things out- today he was the only person down our isle when i came in to do some shopping. However if it is just one of them the (depending which ASM/ the SM) The ASM still ends up doing fruit and veg and delegates the task of managing us to the third hand, or alot of the time ends up doing the bread and eggs, And our SM does the bread and eggs and helps us with our stuff and delegates the fruit and veg to the third hand.- Our section has a weird system, however on dry goods they see to have something very similar to what you have described- in other words utter chaos.

As for aprons with the black uniform, you are very lucky to have them, i want an apron and so does one of my friends - since she had a leaky thing of cream which went every where and the SM (whom was there at the time) told her to wipe her hand on her trousers, which meant she had to change her trousers to some about three sizes too big.

On the bright side however- Pay day tomorrow (as it is usually in the bank the day before it says) yay, can't wait see see what overtime i have got paid for- since my boss isn't too great at putting it all in the system.
OrangeStu
It is long, but you have to do a lot of training for the job - mine was 12-8pm - you won't understand until you have seen the list of videos and quizzes you need to do.

Ye, most will dress smart-casual.

Speak to the SM/ASM/3rd Hand usually - (on fresh) I usually just ask what needs working and do that, but usually you will have a good idea.

DG - pretty much the same, if its DTS stuff then usually just pick any old cage, if you are doing backstock, check which fixtures you need to do.

Whats DTS and backstock? I'm not down with the lingo of the shopfloor :P Thanks for everyone else's help - I realise I am not missing some sort of complicated system... just ask what to do :P
tiddlytom
Whats DTS and backstock? I'm not down with the lingo of the shopfloor :P Thanks for everyone else's help - I realise I am not missing some sort of complicated system... just ask what to do :P

I think DTS is overs cages but it may also be like rolling racking- not entirely sure, due to being fresh foods, but i am pretty sure backstock is the overs cages that haven't been reworked. It's is alright not to know though, they keep moving things round in our chillers, one week teh deliveries and yogurts are in one chiller the next week they have moved- and i don't even know who to blame for my utter confusion!

If you don't understand just asksome one to explain where they are relative to someting you do know the location of (like the entrace to the warehouse off the shop floor or the goods lift or something). and even if you take the wrong thing don't worry since i did it twice in one shift- one of the ASM's is crap at describing cages, but they won't ind too much, they will just tell you which is the right one, or show you.
tiddlytom

Leighthesim
I think DTS is overs cages but it may also be like rolling racking- not entirely sure, due to being fresh foods, but i am pretty sure backstock is the overs cages that haven't been reworked. It's is alright not to know though, they keep moving things round in our chillers, one week teh deliveries and yogurts are in one chiller the next week they have moved- and i don't even know who to blame for my utter confusion!

If you don't understand just asksome one to explain where they are relative to someting you do know the location of (like the entrace to the warehouse off the shop floor or the goods lift or something). and even if you take the wrong thing don't worry since i did it twice in one shift- one of the ASM's is crap at describing cages, but they won't ind too much, they will just tell you which is the right one, or show you.

DTS is Direct to Shelf - i.e. Delivery cages which hasn't been worked. Overs cages are backstock - so stuff you have tried to put out that won't go out on the floor.

Rolling Racking we don't have yet but it's basically just keeping backstock on cages instead of on shelving.

Backstock is the same as overs Leigh. Basically, when a cage comes in on the lorry, it get's worked - if it won't go out (i.e. it is overs) then it gets racked away as backstock (on shelves or cages) these should then ideally be worked every day (preferably twice per day before each delivery).
Leighthesim

As for aprons with the black uniform, you are very lucky to have them, i want an apron and so does one of my friends - since she had a leaky thing of cream which went every where and the SM (whom was there at the time) told her to wipe her hand on her trousers, which meant she had to change her trousers to some about three sizes too big.

Why don't you order yourself one then? I know your uniform is changing but your branch probably will have spares!
emma rogerson
Why don't you order yourself one then? I know your uniform is changing but your branch probably will have spares!

We don't have aprons unfortunatley, and since we get to trial the new one some they are only doing uniform for new partners or desperate replacements (like knackered trousers ect.) so no apron for me till the new uniform, i honestly can't wait.

And OrangeStu Thanks for explaining the DTS stuff, we don't use that term in my section so it is good to now know.
cbatten565
mate im not beign funy but eight hours seems very long ! for a part time job! and is shirt and trousers what everyone wheres?

8 hours is what my induction was, with them, i did about 4 hours training then did checkouts for the rest of the afternoon, i wore a white shirt and trousers as the women on the phone told me to where something smartish just incase my uniform didn't arrive, but it did, so just make sure you wear something smartish and comfortable.

Emma- we don't have aprons since we are a small branch and we are still in the old uniform so we don't have aprons at all, i heard you could order them but as we will be changing soon they are being tight about what we can get in the way of uniform- i can't even get an extra shirt since i work friday, saturday and alot of sunday's and only have one shirt.
Leighthesim
8 hours is what my induction was, with them, i did about 4 hours training then did checkouts for the rest of the afternoon, i wore a white shirt and trousers as the women on the phone told me to where something smartish just incase my uniform didn't arrive, but it did, so just make sure you wear something smartish and comfortable.

Emma- we don't have aprons since we are a small branch and we are still in the old uniform so we don't have aprons at all, i heard you could order them but as we will be changing soon they are being tight about what we can get in the way of uniform- i can't even get an extra shirt since i work friday, saturday and alot of sunday's and only have one shirt.

Do counters not have them? I'm sure they must.
Reply 1795
i had my one to one interview today - went well.. said i would get a call within three working days..

i just checked my emails.. and it said 'my application is put on hold because there is not any suitable vacancies' .... does this mean i haven't got the job...or should i wait for the phone call..

please help and ease my mind, cause i really need this job!!
That means you won't have a job at the moment
Reply 1797
kman123
i had my one to one interview today - went well.. said i would get a call within three working days..

i just checked my emails.. and it said 'my application is put on hold because there is not any suitable vacancies' .... does this mean i haven't got the job...or should i wait for the phone call..

please help and ease my mind, cause i really need this job!!

Alot of branches are doing a lot of recruitment at the moment due to partners leaving for uni and moving on...

At the moment you have been put on hold, but that could be whilst they interview other people, yes for the same job, they want to make sure that the right people, are put on the right sections.

Just out of interest what branch was the interview for, if you don't want to disclose it, just PM me with it.

Lucy
Reply 1798
emma rogerson
Leigh I bet of you ask your office if they have a spare apron they will. A friend of mine who I know says there office always keeps spares. Or have you already asked?

God we have aprons/tabards coming out of our earholes, we have soo many spare, could be because hardly anyone wears them!

We have UNOPENED boxes of the Christmas Aprons too, because they couldn't get anyone to wear them!
Lucy King
God we have aprons/tabards coming out of our earholes, we have soo many spare, could be because hardly anyone wears them!

We have UNOPENED boxes of the Christmas Aprons too, because they couldn't get anyone to wear them!

We have some old christmas ones in the warehouse, i don't know about tabards- i wouldn't want one, but i asked my SM about aprons and he said we couldn't have one, but i am going to wait till the new uniform then everyone will have them and it will be great and i will not have to get stuff everywhere, the only thing i am conserned about is the fact that the shirt is mainly white, and since knock into cages and stuff (don't have a great sence of awareness and once cause i was half asleep due to waking up 10 minutes beforehand) my shirt is going to get soo dirty- i honestly don't know how the ASM and SM's cope with theres, the front of my current one already looks grubby from where a carry boxes about.

Latest

Trending

Trending