The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
At the end of the day most people will say that their own College is friendly (and more friendly than others) - I certainly will about my own (Sidney). This may reflect an objective reality possibly created by the small size and other factors such as a student run bar. However, it's more likely that I just perceive it as friendly because as I walk into the bar of an evening I know lots and lots of people. I'm sure if I knew as many people at any other College as I do at Sidney I'd also perceive that College to be very friendly.
Of course traditionally Tit Hall is the lawyers college. Today... well, we do have some. Also, all this hierarchy stuff? Load of nonsense! Within the university people joke about Girton being too far away, Homerton not being a real college, John's being awful... they're jokes, no-one really cares and people tend to love their college whatever. If you're looking for a good end of year party (read May Ball) though, go for Trinity or Johns.
Reply 22
There are several colleges I'd heartily recommend, apart from my own (though obviously I recommend my own!). I'm not sure it need be as subjective or arbitrary as 'my college is the best!' -- there are a few at which I think I'd be less happy (for various entirely personal reasons), but most would be absolutely fine! :smile:
NoPurposeTortoise
Interesting stuff....you see, I had heard that Emma was very friendly. I also heard that Downing was best for Law. Is there anywhere that has a good reputation for NatSci? Not that I'm choosing colleges based on this..its just interesting :smile:

Lately I think my college may have been topping the league table for NatSci (Physical at least anyway) although there is no particular college that traditionally has a reputation for being good at it.

Sorry to be mean on you Johnians but earlier this term I had to deal with John's quite a bit as we organised a play there and it is the least friendly college I have come across.
Reply 24
thefish_uk
Sorry to be mean on you Johnians but earlier this term I had to deal with John's quite a bit as we organised a play there and it is the least friendly college I have come across.

On the other hand, I've a group of friends/acquaintances who were at John's, and they were incredibly tight-knit as well as being really inclusive of others. So...in conclusion...no conclusion...
Reply 25
Charlottie
Of course traditionally Tit Hall is the lawyers college. Today... well, we do have some. Also, all this hierarchy stuff? Load of nonsense! Within the university people joke about Girton being too far away, Homerton not being a real college, John's being awful... they're jokes, no-one really cares and people tend to love their college whatever. If you're looking for a good end of year party (read May Ball) though, go for Trinity or Johns.

Nah, Johns really are scum
Reply 26
'Friendly' would, in my view, typically describe a smaller college with a more relaxed atmosphere. Sooo, like chiron, I vote Sidney :biggrin:

Basic answer to this thread: go read the alternative prospectus. You really do just end up loving the college where you're put, and will want to defend it to the death.

Nevertheless, I love John's and I don't go there. It's flipping beautiful and they put on some wonderful fireworks t'other night. So don't diss. ok? :biggrin:
Reply 27
trinity's quite good for maths I think
Chewwy claims caius is the best. He said that by solely looking at I to 2.I's ratio in the first year for this year caius was heads and shoulders better (1.5 to 1.4).

Reply 28
Vazzyb
trinity's quite good for maths I think
Chewwy claims caius is the best. He said that by solely looking at I to 2.I's ratio in the first year for this year caius was heads and shoulders better (1.5 to 1.4).

question - if the courses are arranged by each faculty, how can you talk about each college and its reputations subject-wise? :s-smilie: :confused:
You are taught by the Faculty. Some colleges have stereotypes, thats all. You receive the same lectures etc regardless of college, there really is nothing to factor into your college decision based on this.
Reply 30
Emma27
question - if the courses are arranged by each faculty, how can you talk about each college and its reputations subject-wise? :s-smilie: :confused:

Supervisions are arranged through the colleges (apart from for some later years and smaller subjects) but I suspect the difference due to this is marginal and is much more to do with differences between the intake.

So I wouldn't take the college rankings to be ranking the quality of supervisions or anything.
Eye, I've been trying to work out who you are for ages and I haven't managed it. Are you bio or phys?
Reply 32
Phys (Michael)
I was going to use that info to narrow down my options - clearly giving your name narrowed it down slightly more :p: hello by the way :hello:
Reply 34
Rudrax
Pardon me, I forgot how much of a ****hole Queens' is :rolleyes: I know college hierarchies are loose but Queens' is much closer to the top than the bottom.

It's a shame my grand total of suggesting 'Queens'' 2 or 3 times has offended you. Each time I've done it its been in a slightly mocking, irrational way and most people recognise I'm doing it as an offer holder and for those who might not know I think my profile might just give them a clue.

I thought adding ':ninja:' afterwards would suggest I wasn't being serious but evidently not.

Cheers for the neg Visesh :yy:
Reply 35
lol thats quite funny
Reply 36
Charlottie
Of course traditionally Tit Hall is the lawyers college.

eh.
Reply 37
Other colleges may have this as well but Homerton has a rather thriving amateur theatrical society and plays are relatively frequent.

The College also accepts around 20 BA English/Drama/Education every year, many of whom make it into the Footlights and other College societies outside of Homerton.

I see people playing sport out on the grass all the time, although most Colleges probably have sports teams. Most however do not have their sports fields onsite though, and indeed very close to where to you be living.
Reply 38
Is it true (oh, this is going to be a vastly upsetting question but I'll ask it anyway) that Peterhouse is startlingly conservative and more than that, the "gay" college in terms of its fellows and masters?

I mean, I've nothing against them (conservatives) but am interested to know whether this opinion (virulently and vehemently held by several i know, including a teacher who swears at you if you mention peterhouse) bears any semblance of truth.
Reply 39
No.

Latest

Trending

Trending