The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What's the Best Lancaster College?

I'm applying for colleges at Lancaster University at the moment and I don't know which one would be best. For context, I would like an en suite, self-catered room. I'm not sporty, or a massive drinker, although I still like a good party and I'm pretty social. Having a college that is central would also be ideal. I'm considering making Bowland College my first choice, but I don't now which college to have as my back-up.

Any advice? TIA.
Hi @Heathersrocks!

This is the age-old question isn't it... Luckily, since you are looking at en-suite accommodation, all colleges are able to cater to this, so you really have the most freedom in choosing a college. Fylde (my college) has a reputation for being 'sporty' and County/Bowland have a reputation for being quite boozy, while Cartmel has a reputation for being very quiet and studious. I wouldn't give much credence to these stereotypes, though, and it really depends on the flatmates you end up with. You may end up with an extremely quiet flat in Bowland, or a very rowdy flat in Cartmel, there's no correlation really. If you are looking for a central college, then Bowland, Furness and Fylde are likely a good choice, but campus is extremely compact and you can walk from the southern point of South West campus to the northern-most point of main campus in around 15-20 minutes, so it shouldn't really be an issue if you end up in a college on South West campus such as Cartmel or Lonsdale, and in fact many students actually prefer to have a greater work-life separation.

If superior ensuite is the accommodation type you prefer, then I would proabably advise against Bowland and maybe County, as although they have these room types, they are more limited in these colleges. Colleges such as Fylde, Cartmel, and Lonsdale are entirely ensuite accommodation, so this could be something to consider as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions about student life at Lancaster as well if you have them :smile:

^Harry (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Heathersrocks!

This is the age-old question isn't it... Luckily, since you are looking at en-suite accommodation, all colleges are able to cater to this, so you really have the most freedom in choosing a college. Fylde (my college) has a reputation for being 'sporty' and County/Bowland have a reputation for being quite boozy, while Cartmel has a reputation for being very quiet and studious. I wouldn't give much credence to these stereotypes, though, and it really depends on the flatmates you end up with. You may end up with an extremely quiet flat in Bowland, or a very rowdy flat in Cartmel, there's no correlation really. If you are looking for a central college, then Bowland, Furness and Fylde are likely a good choice, but campus is extremely compact and you can walk from the southern point of South West campus to the northern-most point of main campus in around 15-20 minutes, so it shouldn't really be an issue if you end up in a college on South West campus such as Cartmel or Lonsdale, and in fact many students actually prefer to have a greater work-life separation.

If superior ensuite is the accommodation type you prefer, then I would proabably advise against Bowland and maybe County, as although they have these room types, they are more limited in these colleges. Colleges such as Fylde, Cartmel, and Lonsdale are entirely ensuite accommodation, so this could be something to consider as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions about student life at Lancaster as well if you have them :smile:

^Harry (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your advice! I don't really want a superior ensuite because it's too expensive! I'm looking more at Basic or Standard Ensuite at the moment! I'll bear what you've said in mind.

L x
Reply 3
Original post by Heathersrocks
I'm applying for colleges at Lancaster University at the moment and I don't know which one would be best. For context, I would like an en suite, self-catered room. I'm not sporty, or a massive drinker, although I still like a good party and I'm pretty social. Having a college that is central would also be ideal. I'm considering making Bowland College my first choice, but I don't now which college to have as my back-up.

Any advice? TIA.

My eldest was in grizedale townhouses. Although no ensuite there was always enough bathroom time for her floor as 4 rooms shared 2 bathrooms. She shared with her neighbour, but when her neighbouring flat was using it, the other one on same floor was always free. So It was never an issue. Grizedale also offer ensuite too. Its only 5 mins walk to Alex square so its pretty close. Theres no 'best' college. Every student will say their college is best :smile: .
Original post by Heathersrocks
Hi Harry,

Thanks for your advice! I don't really want a superior ensuite because it's too expensive! I'm looking more at Basic or Standard Ensuite at the moment! I'll bear what you've said in mind.

L x

Hi @Heathersrocks

It seems that Bowland Hall and County’s John Creed building offer the cheapest en-suite accommodation on campus currently. “Rooms in Bowland Hall cost between £153.37 and £177.59 per week depending on the facilities provided (those priced higher offer a wider "3/4 size" bed and soft seating in the kitchen/diner).

County's John Creed Building costs £153.37 per week, for 40 weeks.”

You can read more about it here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/bedrooms-with-private-bathrooms/#how-much-do-they-cost-552720-1

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Thanks,
Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending