The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering( are muslim restricted to do the whole course)

So I am going to keep the name of the university ananomous. So I went to an open day with my cousin to a university, he is very interested in doing aerospace engineering.
When we went and the university was great and all the tutor was very nice. However, there was this one international student who was very nice so we asked him what are you specializing on and he said the IT part, my cousin was like why the IT section there are so many other interesting part and his explanation was that As he was a muslim, the university did not allow him to study the aerospace side of the course which he was initially interested in.
So I was wondering is that truly the case, as we are also muslim. Can anyone who has done aerospace engineering or doing at uk university and maybe you are muslim too can give me some insight about this.
Original post by Ariyan khan
So I am going to keep the name of the university ananomous. So I went to an open day with my cousin to a university, he is very interested in doing aerospace engineering.
When we went and the university was great and all the tutor was very nice. However, there was this one international student who was very nice so we asked him what are you specializing on and he said the IT part, my cousin was like why the IT section there are so many other interesting part and his explanation was that As he was a muslim, the university did not allow him to study the aerospace side of the course which he was initially interested in.
So I was wondering is that truly the case, as we are also muslim. Can anyone who has done aerospace engineering or doing at uk university and maybe you are muslim too can give me some insight about this.

Hey OP, this seems extremely odd and I don't think any university would be legally allowed to (or why they would want to?) discriminate against a particular group of students based on religion in this way.

Are you sure this is what they said? Could it have been because they didn't meet the entry requirements for the engineering side or something along those lines....? And so were offered an alternative course?

If you're willing to name the university we have a lot of university reps on TSR who might be able to clearify this for you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well that what the student said, he also mentioned that the uni will tell you that you can do all parts of the course until the end of your 2nd year, but when your 3rd year begins they say you can't do it and that's because of religion. The thing is I got very confused with that myself as I have never heard of this in my whole life, it's very strange.

Also the university name is Southampton, I wanted to keep the university name hidden as I didn't wanted to cause any fury amongst everyone
Original post by Ariyan khan
Well that what the student said, he also mentioned that the uni will tell you that you can do all parts of the course until the end of your 2nd year, but when your 3rd year begins they say you can't do it and that's because of religion. The thing is I got very confused with that myself as I have never heard of this in my whole life, it's very strange.

Also the university name is Southampton, I wanted to keep the university name hidden as I didn't wanted to cause any fury amongst everyone

This is very odd and I honestly think there has been some sort of miscommunication somewhere. Universities aren't allowed to discriminate against students like this.

You could call the university directly and they should be able to reassure you about this? It seems verey strange!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This is very odd and I honestly think there has been some sort of miscommunication somewhere. Universities aren't allowed to discriminate against students like this.

You could call the university directly and they should be able to reassure you about this? It seems verey strange!

Yeah it's sound pretty strange to me to, yeah I will probably call them up and see what the real story is
Definitely not true, plenty of my coursemates were muslim and went through third and fourth years.

The closest thing we had to that was one of our coursemate's mum (who was of Pakistani heritage) cried after they told her he was going to work at a certain British missile company, so I'd say the possible career paths are something to think about from an ethical standpoint, whether you're muslim or anything else, as defence work is a pretty good chunk of the possible careers resulting from an aerospace degree. Equally you can go the complete opposite direction and work in renewable energy kind of things or civil aviation or something which can't be used to attack i.e. missile defence systems, but you are reducing your options compared to doing a pure mechanical degree for example.

If I had to guess, either his family told him not to do aerospace, or his citizenship prevents him from working certain jobs in the UK so the university told him that if he were to do a year in industry (typically occurs in your third year) then a lot of aerospace placements would be off-limits.

Quick Reply

Latest