The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Something I realised whilst cycling through fields last week:
I AM NOT A ROADIE CYCLIST
And yet, I am a terrible off-roader. I love cycling through countryside and exploring and even getting completely lost in a cornfield, but I find it hard to cope with the lumps and bumps, even with a suspension heavy bike and when I had my mountain bike tyres on. I am getting better at climbing, but I just think my personal fitness is again being called into check.
Original post by owliver
And the beauty comes in pink. Which makes it even better.

Exactly, plus a pink jersey = :cool:
Original post by Nynyflower
And yet, I am a terrible off-roader. I love cycling through countryside and exploring and even getting completely lost in a cornfield, but I find it hard to cope with the lumps and bumps, even with a suspension heavy bike and when I had my mountain bike tyres on. I am getting better at climbing, but I just think my personal fitness is again being called into check.

Turn to the Mountain side of Biking... :wink:

How do you mean you found them hard to cope with? As in you didn't like hitting them as obstacles? Or they slowed you down? :dontknow:

If you don't like climbing, focus on descending. :tongue: Just so happens there is a descent-based mountain biking discipline... :colone:
Original post by Nynyflower

Don't listen to DHbiker, he's trying to turn you over to the dark side! :wink:

What suspension does your bike have? Unless you're doing downhill, I don't think any rear sus would be necassary and will just slow you down.

Core strength exercises work wonders, especially for climbing, try doing the plank and bicycle crunches, they really help :yep: Also, the more you cycle over this rough terrain, the fitter you will get I know it's such an obvious thing to say, but you'll only get fitter by riding more.

Regarding climbing, watch this for inspiration:

P.S Road is better :colonhash:

:wink2:
Reply 2044
Original post by james-brown28
Exactly, plus a pink jersey = :cool:

As soon as I can get my hand on a Rabobank one I will. I could get some pink vinyl Rabobank stickers made up to put on the giant too...
Original post by owliver
As soon as I can get my hand on a Rabobank one I will. I could get some pink vinyl Rabobank stickers made up to put on the giant too...

Rabobank have a pink jersey? I thought it was Lampre?

Still, pink ftw :borat:

love my new road bike, a raleigh pursuit :smile: got it a week ago so only to a mere 20 miles on it so far! :smile:
also it was only £200 so a bargain in my opinion!
Reply 2047
My bike is ready! Going to pick it up in about an hour. :biggrin:
Original post by rebeccapeake
love my new road bike, a raleigh pursuit :smile: got it a week ago so only to a mere 20 miles on it so far! :smile:
also it was only £200 so a bargain in my opinion!

Very nice, loving the colours! XD, are the gear shifters on the top bar? Are they shimano?

Original post by Roobsa
My bike is ready! Going to pick it up in about an hour. :biggrin:

Sweet, what is it? :biggrin:
Reply 2049
Rabobank have a pink jersey? I thought it was Lampre?

Still, pink ftw :borat:

I'm thinking pink stage winner jersey... They're normally orange/blue (I have all but the shoe covers for the strip...)

(That was '09 though)
Original post by owliver
I'm thinking pink stage winner jersey... They're normally orange/blue (I have all but the shoe covers for the strip...)

(That was '09 though)

I see, the giro overall leaders jersey with rabobank strip? XD

I want to get this:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/giro-pink-short-sleeve-jersey-ec019259?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Where did you get the rabobank strip in pink?
Reply 2051
I see, the giro overall leaders jersey with rabobank strip? XD

I want to get this:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/giro-pink-short-sleeve-jersey-ec019259?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Where did you get the rabobank strip in pink?

You've got it (: I'm going to get in touch with Giant... Perhaps they'll have something... :biggrin:

I haven't got it in pink (yet) I have it in last years tour colours, which is basically this year, the supplier Madison were doing it (: I have the cap!!

Not a bianchi fan personally, but that is a nice jersey (:
Very nice, loving the colours! XD, are the gear shifters on the top bar? Are they shimano?

haha thanks :smile: and yes they are to both of them questions :biggrin: how did you know?! :biggrin:
haha thanks :smile: and yes they are to both of them questions :biggrin: how did you know?! :biggrin:

I'm a bicycle nerd :colondollar:

Going out for a ride today? I'm in all my kit ready to go, just procrastinating a bit :tongue:
I'm a bicycle nerd :colondollar:

Going out for a ride today? I'm in all my kit ready to go, just procrastinating a bit :tongue:

haha cool :smile:
and yeah i will be doing, i know what you mean though, need some to motivation to get going, once you're out it's great though :biggrin: so go!! :smile:
haha cool :smile:
and yeah i will be doing, i know what you mean though, need some to motivation to get going, once you're out it's great though :biggrin: so go!! :smile:

haha, I'm going i'm going :wink:

Have fun on your ride! :smile:
haha, I'm going i'm going :wink:

Have fun on your ride! :smile:

you too! :biggrin:
Reply 2057
Sweet, what is it? :biggrin:

It's home now.

Don't listen to DHbiker, he's trying to turn you over to the dark side! :wink:

The good side! :biggrin: The Dark Side is stronger, has cooler stuff and would've kicked ass if Vader hadn't tripped and thrown the Emperor who he was carrying to safety down that hole thing. You know that the Dark Side is simply better. :wink:

What suspension does your bike have? Unless you're doing downhill, I don't think any rear sus would be necassary and will just slow you down.

Ahh not necessarily. Lots of XC and AM riders are turning to short travel full suspension. Its not necessarily heavier, (My Trek for example is lighter then many hardtails). If this person is doing road, then yeah, it is unnecessary. But even gentle country trails can take a full-sus and not really see a hold back.

Road is better.

I never criticise another discipline, and fully recognise both the popularity and usefulness of Road Riding. Equally, I realise that the majority (like 99%) of the folk on this society are roadies.
However, it is true that Mountain Biking, globally, is more popular to road. :tongue: Something like one road bike to every ten mountain bikes? Granted that includes AM, FR, DH, XC, etc etc. But the point still stands. :wink:

Not that I'm putting one above the other, it is down to preference an' all. :colondollar:
Original post by DH-Biker
The good side! :biggrin: The Dark Side is stronger, has cooler stuff and would've kicked ass if Vader hadn't tripped and thrown the Emperor who he was carrying to safety down that hole thing. You know that the Dark Side is simply better. :wink:

Ahh not necessarily. Lots of XC and AM riders are turning to short travel full suspension. Its not necessarily heavier, (My Trek for example is lighter then many hardtails). If this person is doing road, then yeah, it is unnecessary. But even gentle country trails can take a full-sus and not really see a hold back.

I never criticise another discipline, and fully recognise both the popularity and usefulness of Road Riding. Equally, I realise that the majority (like 99%) of the folk on this society are roadies.
However, it is true that Mountain Biking, globally, is more popular to road. :tongue: Something like one road bike to every ten mountain bikes? Granted that includes AM, FR, DH, XC, etc etc. But the point still stands. :wink:

Not that I'm putting one above the other, it is down to preference an' all. :colondollar:

And that also includes all the chavs and stuff that buy a halfrauds "mountain" bike, but only use it to ride 2 miles to school

Latest