The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amateur_soldier
And that also includes all the chavs and stuff that buy a halfrauds "mountain" bike, but only use it to ride 2 miles to school

Admittedly it probably does, though they can't account for much. Furthermore, I think most of that was taken from indep. cycle shops.

In any case, both points still stand. One that there are more Mountain Bikes then Road Bikes; and two that it doesn't matter which discipline you ride as long as you enjoy it. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DH-Biker
The good side! :biggrin: The Dark Side is stronger, has cooler stuff and would've kicked ass if Vader hadn't tripped and thrown the Emperor who he was carrying to safety down that hole thing. You know that the Dark Side is simply better. :wink:

Of course :wink:

Ahh not necessarily. Lots of XC and AM riders are turning to short travel full suspension. Its not necessarily heavier, (My Trek for example is lighter then many hardtails).

Yeah, but are you talking about expensive full sussers? Most cheap full sussers I've seen are heavier than same price/cheaper hardtails.

I never criticise another discipline, and fully recognise both the popularity and usefulness of Road Riding. Equally, I realise that the majority (like 99%) of the folk on this society are roadies.
However, it is true that Mountain Biking, globally, is more popular to road. :tongue: Something like one road bike to every ten mountain bikes? Granted that includes AM, FR, DH, XC, etc etc. But the point still stands. :wink:

I was only messin' :tongue: I'm looking at getting into MTB myself :')

Although, as someone else mentioned, sales figures aren't a good indicator of popularity, everyone I know has owned a 'mountain bike' at some point.
Original post by Roobsa
It's home now.

Nice! What groupo is that? Tiagra? Love the paintscheme as well XD How much did she cost? (:
Original post by james-brown28
Of course :wink:

Damn right of course! :tongue:

Yeah, but are you talking about expensive full sussers? Most cheap full sussers I've seen are heavier than same price/cheaper hardtails.

Oh, yeah I was talking sort of low/mid-range to medium range. :tongue: I agree, most cheap full sussers are just ridiculously heavy. A friend of mine had this gold, weird one before we showed him the way... I swear that'd tip its scales when placed alongside a 747. :no:

I was only messin' :tongue: I'm looking at getting into MTB myself :')

I meant to have a wink in there. :tongue: It looks a lot more serious then I wanted it to be. :tongue: I was messing too. :wink:

Although, as someone else mentioned, sales figures aren't a good indicator of popularity, everyone I know has owned a 'mountain bike' at some point.

Well, true. Still I like the knowledge that there are ten to one sales. :tongue: Gives me some form of leverage above you Roadies. :tongue: That and the fact I can take mine over a leaf and not have it break into pieces. :wink:

(I kid... Maybe a pot hole...). :wink:
Reply 2064
Nice! What groupo is that? Tiagra? Love the paintscheme as well XD How much did she cost? (:

Yeah Tiagra. Was originally going to go the for 1.2 but that has Sora and when I noticed how much easier changing gears was with the Tiagra, I knew I just had to have the 1.5!

Trek have a summer sale on (at least at my LBS) so there was £125 off so it was £625 total for the bike then things on top like SPDs, cycle jersey, gloves, bottle cages, which took the total up a bit.

Worth it though I think. Just took her out for her maiden ride and I'm so knackered even though I was out for only 20 minutes or so! So much work to do to get fit.

I did actually look at the Specialized Allez Elite too but as my MTB is already red, I wanted something a bit different. The Trek has a classy but understated look about her I think. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2065
I'm planning to build a bike from scratch (frame & all) and thanks to an lfgss.com thread, I am thinking of painting it in the Penguin Classics colours and naming it after one of them. Who's got ideas suitable for a fast single-speed bike? :biggrin:
Leader 725 - comes in white, black and sea-foam green.

Can be bought from here

you should also be able to get the parts you're looking for from here
Reply 2067
Original post by owliver
I'm planning to build a bike from scratch (frame & all) and thanks to an lfgss.com thread, I am thinking of painting it in the Penguin Classics colours and naming it after one of them. Who's got ideas suitable for a fast single-speed bike? :biggrin:

I've got a Langster that needs a new home (and new forks).
Reply 2068
Original post by amateur_soldier
Leader 725 - comes in white, black and sea-foam green.

Can be bought from here

you should also be able to get the parts you're looking for from here

Original post by Roobsa
I've got a Langster that needs a new home (and new forks).

I know exactly what kit is going to be on it, It's frame design I'm having a problem with, and then also the name... (which is what I would like ideas for :biggrin:)

I didn't word myself well enough...
Who has ideas for her name? It needs to be a book title & Author suitable for a bike...
Reply 2069
got myself a cheap mountain bike the other day to replace my old one after the wheels were stolen. Its going to tide me over until I get a bit more money and can afford a decent road/racing bike.

Been riding around Southampton quite a lot and I have found that outside the city centre, it is an absolutely beautiful place! I'd love to venture further (I usually just cycle as far as I can, aimlessly in one direction until I get tired, and find another route back) but I keep getting put off by A and B roads with 60/70mph speed limits!

I'm planning a Southampton-London though for September :smile:
Reply 2070
Original post by Jev

Been riding around Southampton quite a lot and I have found that outside the city centre, it is an absolutely beautiful place! I'd love to venture further (I usually just cycle as far as I can, aimlessly in one direction until I get tired, and find another route back) but I keep getting put off by A and B roads with 60/70mph speed limits!

I'm planning a Southampton-London though for September :smile:

I would stay off the A roads if I were you, unless you're averaging 20+mph... They can be a bit horrible...

S->L Would need a good route planned, have you looked at any yet? (:
Original post by Jev

Pah, man up! You get used to it after a while, I ride 60/70mph A-roads, single and dual carriageways 5 days a week :tongue: so long as you take a primary position and ride defensively and intelligently (I dominate a whole lane on dual carriageways), most drivers know the difference between a safe overtaking opportunity and a dangerous one. Or so I hope... have had a only few overtake closer than I'd like :angry:

edit: got my baby back from the shop from her service on thursday, oh it shifts like butter :coma:
Also, need you guys' opinions on something -
really want to go clipless and get myself some SPD-SLs, total estimated cost I reckon about £90 for entry-level shoes and pedals
but I can't really afford to do so right now - unless I was to extend my overdraft :biggrin: ...
worth it yes/no? Most people say going clipless was the best thing they'd ever done and wished they'd done it years ago...should I?
Also finding that my pedals have absolutely **** all grip in any wetness
Original post by HFerguson
Also, need you guys' opinions on something -
really want to go clipless and get myself some SPD-SLs, total estimated cost I reckon about £90 for entry-level shoes and pedals
but I can't really afford to do so right now - unless I was to extend my overdraft :biggrin: ...
worth it yes/no? Most people say going clipless was the best thing they'd ever done and wished they'd done it years ago...should I?
Also finding that my pedals have absolutely **** all grip in any wetness

Absolutely worth it, it's strange how perspective changes. I couldn't imgaine riding a bike any distance without clipless - it's become more normal than without and without is horrible. Once you've tried clipless there's no going back :tongue:

I want to upgrade my pedals from the bog-standard entry level 'look keo's' to something a bit lighter, I was looking at speedplay, but they're expensive as fook. :tongue:

But yeah, go for it :top:
Original post by Roobsa
Yeah Tiagra. Was originally going to go the for 1.2 but that has Sora and when I noticed how much easier changing gears was with the Tiagra, I knew I just had to have the 1.5!

Trek have a summer sale on (at least at my LBS) so there was £125 off so it was £625 total for the bike then things on top like SPDs, cycle jersey, gloves, bottle cages, which took the total up a bit.

Worth it though I think. Just took her out for her maiden ride and I'm so knackered even though I was out for only 20 minutes or so! So much work to do to get fit.

I did actually look at the Specialized Allez Elite too but as my MTB is already red, I wanted something a bit different. The Trek has a classy but understated look about her I think. :tongue:

Ah cool, I've got tiagra on my cannondale, it's a bit heavier than 105/ultegra, but it's a proper 'workhorse' groupo-reliable :yep:
Reply 2075
Roadies,

The muscle below my thumb aches fairly quickly after being on the bike, is this a case of my hands just needing to get used to gripping the bar differently to a MTB bar? Are there any tricks to stop the aching coming on so soon?
Original post by Roobsa
Roadies,

The muscle below my thumb aches fairly quickly after being on the bike, is this a case of my hands just needing to get used to gripping the bar differently to a MTB bar? Are there any tricks to stop the aching coming on so soon?

Gel mitts :smile:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/short-finger-gloves/

I have blisters on my hands from a few days of intense riding in the heat :tongue:
Reply 2077
Gel mitts :smile:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/short-finger-gloves/

I have blisters on my hands from a few days of intense riding in the heat :tongue:

Forgot to mention I have those too! Though I think they're slightly too big so may have to get another pair.

Sorted a nice 4 mile route tonight that I'm going to use for laps (though it goes over a main road so that will add a little time on each lap). Starts with a nice big hill and ends with the same big hill from the other side.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa
Forgot to mention I have those too! Though I think they're slightly too big so may have to get another pair.

Sorted a nice 4 mile route tonight that I'm going to use for laps (though it goes over a main road so that will add a little time on each lap). Starts with a nice big hill and ends with the same big hill from the other side.

Hmmm...what handlebar tape do you have? It may also be your saddle height...

Nice, I need to set up a little route like that.

Here's the map of my favourite route XD 63km and two hills that last 3-4miles :eek: OMG they kill, but they're so awesome :gah:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/44366430

Click on the 'climbs' tab to see the details of all the hills. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2079
Hmmm...what handlebar tape do you have? It may also be your saddle height...

Nice, I need to set up a little route like that.

Here's the map of my favourite route XD 63km and two hills that last 3-4miles :eek: OMG they kill, but they're so awesome :gah:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/44366430

Click on the 'climbs' tab to see the details of all the hills. :smile:

It's when my hands are on the break bits (don't know the technical name). This position:

I'm getting a workout just thinking about a route like that! Sounds like a nightmare for me.

Latest