The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OllyH
Yea, there is a market, one that I think shouldnt exist, but you can't expect halfords not to take advantage of it.

True.
If the decent bikes were on display in most shops, and not the ****ty ones. People would buy them, and it would be much easier to sell the better bikes.
I don't know if people here know about the government's cycle scheme:
http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk

Basically it lets you buy a new bike and get tax off! Ok, so not that many people on here pay tax, but it's probably worth it for a few. My dad basically got his bike half price.
i like to normal bike and mountain bike... But mountain biking is not so plausable come the rains...
Reply 303
Mountain biking is better in the mud!
Lots of skidding and sliding, it's quality
The dirtier the better! (dont quote me out of context on that :p: )

Riding in snow is amazing as well. Or frosty winters mornings with blue skies before everyone else is awake.

EDIT: Also its the viking challenge soon :woo:
http://www.vikingchallenge.org.uk/
OllyH
The dirtier the better! (dont quote me out of context on that :p: )

Riding in snow is amazing as well. Or frosty winters mornings with blue skies before everyone else is awake.

EDIT: Also its the viking challenge soon :woo:
http://www.vikingchallenge.org.uk/

That looks good but I don't know whether I could cope with it and there is the problem that I live on the other side of the country
Reply 306
Never ridden in snow before, i'm gonna have to try that out if it ever snows round here

Never heard of the viking challenge either, sounds interesting
Olyy
Never ridden in snow before, i'm gonna have to try that out if it ever snows round here

Never heard of the viking challenge either, sounds interesting

Yeah wish I knew about some of the stuff around where I live
Its great, over 1000 cyclist took part last year. Its an amazing atmosphere. You can do 50k or 30k but I reccomend the 50k as its a much more fun route. There are always a couple of really serious riders at the very front but everyone else is doing it for fun. There are regular cake stops (made by the local villagers, including some of the most fantastic flapjack.) I think I raised about £70 last year + my entrance fee. This year I'm just paying the entrance fee and buying the tshirt because I don't like having to collect sponsership.

I ride it each year with a friend. But my chain snapped last year and I didnt have a chain tool, but a south african guy lent me his but I had to take 2 links out of my chain so I only had about 3 gears for the rest of it.
wizard710
Yeah wish I knew about some of the stuff around where I live

What county are you in?

And Olyy, is Burton over staffordshire direction? Do you go to Cannock chase at all?
OllyH
Its great, over 1000 cyclist took part last year. Its an amazing atmosphere. You can do 50k or 30k but I reccomend the 50k as its a much more fun route. There are always a couple of really serious riders at the very front but everyone else is doing it for fun. There are regular cake stops (made by the local villagers, including some of the most fantastic flapjack.) I think I raised about £70 last year + my entrance fee. This year I'm just paying the entrance fee and buying the tshirt because I don't like having to collect sponsership.

I ride it each year with a friend. But my chain snapped last year and I didnt have a chain tool, but a south african guy lent me his but I had to take 2 links out of my chain so I only had about 3 gears for the rest of it.

Sounds good, wish I could go but I need to cycle for a lot longer before I go

Oh I'm in Merseyside btw but at the eastern end nearer to manchester but only slightly
wizard710
Sounds good, wish I could go but I need to cycle for a lot longer before I go

Oh I'm in Merseyside btw but at the eastern end nearer to manchester but only slightly

I don't really know that area of the country, but I have been cycling at Lever Park near Rivington in Lancs. Its a great place for mountain biking because they have loads of different trail/path types for learning/practising different techniques on and they held the xc races there in the commonwealth games. I went on a course there just over year or so ago run by these people:
http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/

And I learnt so much, it really gave me the skills/confidence to ride things I wouldn't before.
I did the beginners course on 1 day then intermediate on the other.
They do an advanced course in the Lake district.
OllyH
I don't really know that area of the country, but I have been cycling at Lever Park near Rivington in Lancs. Its a great place for mountain biking because they have loads of different trail/path types for learning/practising different techniques on and they held the xc races there in the commonwealth games. I went on a course there just over year or so ago run by these people:
http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/

And I learnt so much, it really gave me the skills/confidence to ride things I wouldn't before.
I did the beginners course on 1 day then intermediate on the other.
They do an advanced course in the Lake district.

Oh right, may go there one time but I kind of like to stick to the flat, there is the liverpool to chester next summer though but I will need to do a lot of practice for that
Reply 313
OllyH
What county are you in?

And Olyy, is Burton over staffordshire direction? Do you go to Cannock chase at all?

Tis, and yeah i do, been round follow the dog (xc trail) countless times, and just started branching out trying to find some of the secret trails that people talk about but don't mention their location =/

OllyH

Mountain bikers, i've found, are really friendly,
My front disk brake effed up once (first time out after having pads/cables replaced, but they didnt bolt it back on tightly enough so one of the bolts worked its way loose and got caught in my front spokes. luckily i wasnt going fast otherwise coulda been nasty) and two guys stopped to help my fix it back on (luckily one had a mini toolkit in his bag)
Mountain biking is most definitely better in the rain! Mud means skiddy, which means more fun!

Im near the North york moors, and thats where i go...
Pretty good from my experiences there, some nice tracks.

Anyone else from round here?
looking at fitting low riders to my bike.. my bike does have the fork fittings for these though the threaded hole at the base of the fork is currently taken by the mudguard, would i need to remove the mudguard to fit the rack?

after my nottingham to kent ride im keen to travel the UK alot more frequently with just my bike and a tent. :biggrin:
SoundDevastation
looking at fitting low riders to my bike.. my bike does have the fork fittings for these though the threaded hole at the base of the fork is currently taken by the mudguard, would i need to remove the mudguard to fit the rack?

after my nottingham to kent ride im keen to travel the UK alot more frequently with just my bike and a tent. :biggrin:

My touring bike has these front racks, they have a sort of 'extender' to allow the mud guard and the rack to fit on at the same point. I don't know if you need to get it sperately though.

How did you go about route finding for a trip like that? Did you take mainly A roads?
aaah, yes i guess something like that could fit pretty easily... well the racks are currently £1.20 on ebay, so i think i'll go for them!

We were pretty lazy with the route finding tbh.. we got hold of a sustrans map which had cycle routes from Nottingham-Leicester, Leicester-Northampton, Northampton-Milton Keynes. It was a great route tbh, and sustrans is sign posted fairly well that we didnt often have to look at the map (in fact we left the most essential OS map, with MK on, at home. Duh!) a fair share of everything from A-roads to country lanes, to canal tow-paths to the lovely ex-rail road Brampton Valley Way.. we got lost whenever we hit a city, but rejoined the track easy enough on the other side.

In and around London was a completely different matter as we were making the most of outreach opportunities in every town/village on route and we had a cardboard pirate ship that wouldnt fit down cycle paths.. but yeah :p:

From London to Kingsnorth we were lucky enough to be joined by the amazing BICYCOLOGY group who entertained us along the way with their home made pedal-powered sound system and cinema!
Reply 318
New world record for Team GB :biggrin:
Reply 319
Olyy
New world record for Team GB :biggrin:

And it won't be the last!
I bet theres atleast 2 more, if not 3.

Latest