The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4380
Original post by Né Stig
Yes. road.cc is what I'm signed up to. As an avid cycling nut, I have to say, I didn't even know every domestique, but now, I know every single rider in the TdF, their strengths and weaknesses. It's a good way of familiarising yourself with the jobs of DS's.

Annoying. The account has to be manually verified. That means I won't get one in time for the prologue. :frown:
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Hey dude.
Glad to see you have got into cycling. 20hrs a week is alot tbh and losing 5 stone, fair play. :smile:
Well my bike which I bought last year when I took up cycling, cost me £550. I winter trained on it and now I do road racing and time trials on it.
I have a 2011 Specialized Allez triple, such a great bike to ride. I will just send you links that will help you out and be your best option.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=Allez%2016%20Black/Char%20-%202012%20Road%20Bike

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=F95%20-%202012%20Road%20Bike

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/products/trek-1-1-c-2012.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-4-Compact-2012-Road-Bike_48730.htm (my mate owns this bike, he has changed the wheelset and tyres but he is winning everything on this bike)

Thats just a few. Stick with the likes of Giant, Specialized and trek for a first time road bike, you wont go wrong :smile:

Will definitely have a look at the above bikes :smile:

So much nicer than my bike, it's unreal :tongue:

Thanks again :smile:
Thinking about this prologue a bit more, and just having see Tyler Farrar do well, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Greipel or Cavenidsh up there either. Even Danny Oss - blimey.

So yeah - my fantasy team of good TT'ers is possibly a mistake. It should have been sprinters!
Original post by Né Stig
Thinking about this prologue a bit more, and just having see Tyler Farrar do well, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Greipel or Cavenidsh up there either. Even Danny Oss - blimey.

So yeah - my fantasy team of good TT'ers is possibly a mistake. It should have been sprinters!

Lancaster just destroyed the timing, doubt anyone expected that.
Reply 4384
Yes Wiggo! 0.42 seconds quicker than Chavanel.
(edited 11 years ago)
I knew Cancellara would win it, back in action :biggrin:

£800 pre-owned, with more than £200 in accessories. God bless eBay.
Reply 4387
Going by the first day, GC
1.Bradley Wiggins
2.Cadel Evans
3.Dennis Menchov
cheeky bet

Maybe Cancellara will try something on stage 3/5. He looks LEAN, Plus no boonen.
It is not entirely impossible for Cancellara to win today although typical puncheurs will be much more likely. This stage has 'Boonen' all over it if he was racing, but as it is, you can't look past Sagan or Gilbert as it is all about grit at 200km.

I would have said Sagan all day long, but Gilbert looked good yesterday, Sagan did not; this is Gilbert's home country and so, I'm plumping for him. And actually I'm going to plump for EBH to nick second as well.

And Menchov for 3rd? I really don't think so. I think there are too many good cyclists although the Giro will have taken its toll on Heisjdal / Scarponi / Basso. I believe Basso will be Super Domestique if you like for Nibali. Also judging by Froome's time yesterday, this could be another great tour for him. Also I expect Rolland to do well, as last year he had to pull that lummox Voeckler up every mountain pass. He has a free reign now.

Well, I've got one prediction right already with yesterdays stage. I feel I should be a commentator for Eurosport. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4389
Original post by Né Stig
Well, I've got one prediction right already with yesterdays stage. I feel I should be a commentator for Eurosport. :biggrin:

Yeah I'll stick with Harmon, Kirby and Kelly. :tongue:
Reply 4390
Original post by Né Stig
It is not entirely impossible for Cancellara to win today although typical puncheurs will be much more likely. This stage has 'Boonen' all over it if he was racing, but as it is, you can't look past Sagan or Gilbert as it is all about grit at 200km.

I would have said Sagan all day long, but Gilbert looked good yesterday, Sagan did not; this is Gilbert's home country and so, I'm plumping for him. And actually I'm going to plump for EBH to nick second as well.

And Menchov for 3rd? I really don't think so. I think there are too many good cyclists although the Giro will have taken its toll on Heisjdal / Scarponi / Basso. I believe Basso will be Super Domestique if you like for Nibali. Also judging by Froome's time yesterday, this could be another great tour for him. Also I expect Rolland to do well, as last year he had to pull that lummox Voeckler up every mountain pass. He has a free reign now.

That is all very true. I don't think anyone who did a serious Giro will be up there, too.

Rolland is an even worse TTer then Frank.
Original post by Roobsa
Yeah I'll stick with Harmon, Kirby and Kelly. :tongue:

Yeah - not bad a team of commentators really. I thought Kelly was annoying at first, but he's grown on me, mainly because he's always right and knows the intricacies of every rider.
Reply 4392
Original post by Né Stig
Yeah - not bad a team of commentators really. I thought Kelly was annoying at first, but he's grown on me, mainly because he's always right and knows the intricacies of every rider.

He's ridiculously knowledgable. But being a 7 time Paris-Nice winner, 4 time green jersey winner and everything else, you'd expect him to know everything about everything in cycling.
Evening folks, i've been spending a lot of time training for my 3rd european cycling tour, i fly into Cologne on friday evening with my bike, very excited!
Reply 4394
Original post by JLXP
Evening folks, i've been spending a lot of time training for my 3rd european cycling tour, i fly into Cologne on friday evening with my bike, very excited!

Please take pictures/ tell us how it went. Sounds like an adventure! Oh and goodluck!
Original post by jj193
Please take pictures/ tell us how it went. Sounds like an adventure! Oh and goodluck!

Thank you, i'll be sure to take some pictures, will post them up on here! Fingers crossed it will stay dry
Reply 4396
Bloody hell, that last 5k was nerve racking. Proving that even without a full team behind him, Cav can still pull out a pure sprinters finish. I genuinely thought Greenedge would get Gossy across the line first today.
Folks, is there any specific underwear to go with cycling shorts, or do you just go commando?
Reply 4398
Hi everyone, im a bit of a noob that started riding late. Would really appreciate if i could get help in buying a cheap but good bike, to 1)carry on getting used to riding bikes and 2) using to ride between campuses of my uni in order to get to lectures quickly
It's not a requirement, but it would be nice if the seat was comfortable, after a 1.5 hour session on Sunday, I feel like my butt has been kicked still. :frown:

Here is a thread I made. :smile:
Apparently the travel section isnt the best place to post haha
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046675&p=38409811
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JLXP
Folks, is there any specific underwear to go with cycling shorts, or do you just go commando?

Comando Comando comando!
I get terribly itchy if a cycle with anything under shorts :tongue:

Latest