The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For those who use HR monitors, have any of you ever done a lactate threshold test (such as this one: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/sportivetrainingplans/THRESHOLD_TEST.pdf) to find your lactate threshold heart rate and corresponding zones?

I think my Strava zones are wrong, so I'm thinking of doing a test next week. Hopefully by then I can find a flat route/loop with no interruptions (sharp corners, traffic lights, etc.) for a constant 30 min effort.
Original post by alexs2602
Not bad. Just searched it, unless I'm getting this wrong you can get it quite cheap. I was expecting more. Found it for £35. I think I own last year's Garmin sharp jersey.

Sweet, Im gonna look to see of I can get it cheap. Gotta try and match the cannondale bike lol.

Gonna buy shoes with cleats eventually as I'm still getting used to the very light steering and the new handlebar position compared with holding a normal road bike.

Was out on a bike ride early in the morning and the rear brake (the two brake pads at the rear were not even in spacing so I had to stop on the way to even them out a little. I'll take a picture later on
Original post by James A
Sweet, Im gonna look to see of I can get it cheap. Gotta try and match the cannondale bike lol.

Gonna buy shoes with cleats eventually as I'm still getting used to the very light steering and the new handlebar position compared with holding a normal road bike.

Was out on a bike ride early in the morning and the rear brake (the two brake pads at the rear were not even in spacing so I had to stop on the way to even them out a little. I'll take a picture later on

I found it on tredz.
I found it on tredz.

going by reviews of it, it seems a small fit, so looks like I will have to for two sizes up to be sure
First outting on new bike and first time on a bike in, um, 14 years. :redface: Not quite as bad as I thought!
Reply 9145
Original post by OU Student
First outting on new bike and first time on a bike in, um, 14 years. :redface: Not quite as bad as I thought!

How did it go? And what's the bike?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TooEasy123
For those who use HR monitors, have any of you ever done a lactate threshold test (such as this one: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/sportivetrainingplans/THRESHOLD_TEST.pdf) to find your lactate threshold heart rate and corresponding zones?

I think my Strava zones are wrong, so I'm thinking of doing a test next week. Hopefully by then I can find a flat route/loop with no interruptions (sharp corners, traffic lights, etc.) for a constant 30 min effort.

When I buy the sensors, I really wanna do this test!

I've haven't done the test per se, but just based on the HR I know I can sustain on the trainer and my average on the road my strava zones look about right. There's a 5-7 beat difference at the lower end depending on my threshold estimate (161-170bpm) but nothing significant.

How far out are the strava zones compared to the BC ones for you? It might depend how old you are as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James A
going by reviews of it, it seems a small fit, so looks like I will have to for two sizes up to be sure

I think castelli cafe is the place to look for size charts showing what the measurements should be. Got mine and it fits pretty well.
Original post by James A
When I buy the sensors, I really wanna do this test!

It's tough :tongue: And annoying when a traffic light or roundabout stops you half way through (like it did a while ago)!

Original post by Mike the MOG
I've haven't done the test per se, but just based on the HR I know I can sustain on the trainer and my average on the road my strava zones look about right. There's a 5-7 beat difference at the lower end depending on my threshold estimate (161-170bpm) but nothing significant.

How far out are the strava zones compared to the BC ones for you? It might depend how old you are as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem with my Strava zones is that they're based off of my maximum running HR. That said, inputting a max HR into Strava still gives you 2 different sets of zones, 1 for running and 1 for cycling... which would imply you're meant to put your general max HR in (and not one specific to any exercise)... Either way, the running one feels accurate, but the cycling one not.

Strava Cycling Zones based off of max running HR:

118-156bpm, endurance z2

156-175bpm, tempo z3

175-194bpm, threshold z4

I'm not sure if max HR is accurate though, because it doesn't take into account resting heart rate.

British Cycling Zones based off of a threshold HR of 175bpm:

119-145bpm, endurance z2

145-164bpm, tempo z3

164-183bpm, threshold z4

My botched / cut short test a while ago had me at avg 172bpm on a segment near the 2nd half of the test, but I didn't focus properly, had to stop pedalling in certain places/corners, and felt rather fatigued that day. I think 175bpm is what it'll be if I do it properly next time.

The bad thing is that, if these BC zones are correct, it means I've mostly been riding tempo/z3 (~150bpm) this whole time, thinking it was z2 all along, but still building up cumulative fatigue. This would probably explain why I've not felt up for it when it's come to faster/threshold riding, and why I've barely done any of it the last month or so.
Does anyone have a link to decent website with some advice on riding your bike on the road for the first time?

Should be collecting my bike next week and a bit nervous about the concept of flying about on busy roads.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
After a bit of bike advice here. I have a touring bike (Dawes Vantage) which I like. However, I currently have it on some fairly thin tyres (can't remember what they are but think slightly wider than road bike tyres). I am thinking of going a bit more offroad to do some of the south downs way but don't think my current tyres are up for it. I don't have a mountain bike and I don't really want to buy one to be honest so I was wondering whether it would be feasible to buy a new set of wheels to put off-road tyres on (rather than faff with changing tyres on my current wheels. Are there going to be any disadvantages or things I'm going to need to think about more if I did that? I honestly don't know a lot about it so I'm really just trying to get a feeling of if it's even possible at the moment!
Original post by hothedgehog
After a bit of bike advice here. I have a touring bike (Dawes Vantage) which I like. However, I currently have it on some fairly thin tyres (can't remember what they are but think slightly wider than road bike tyres). I am thinking of going a bit more offroad to do some of the south downs way but don't think my current tyres are up for it. I don't have a mountain bike and I don't really want to buy one to be honest so I was wondering whether it would be feasible to buy a new set of wheels to put off-road tyres on (rather than faff with changing tyres on my current wheels. Are there going to be any disadvantages or things I'm going to need to think about more if I did that? I honestly don't know a lot about it so I'm really just trying to get a feeling of if it's even possible at the moment!

Without looking in major detail, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, I imagine it'd be considerably more expensive for a set of wheels + tyres. You'd probably want to consider looking at bikeradar trade section(or whatever its called), pinkbike etc. If you have the money by all means but don't forget you'll need to switch your cassette from the rear wheel. Easy enough as long as you've got the tools but you'd still need to do that too, if you forgot.

I know what it's like when it comes to removing tyres with tight beads but I'd be more inclined to just switch tyres when I need them rather than buy new wheels. Provided it's not too often.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fm81
How did it go? And what's the bike?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aside from a painful backside, (running club was not the best idea this evening...) it went quite well. I have a Tern C7. And yourself?
Reply 9154
Original post by OU Student
Aside from a painful backside, (running club was not the best idea this evening...) it went quite well. I have a Tern C7. And yourself?

Try fiddling with the angle of the saddle, it can make all the difference :smile: I have a Rockrider 8.1, 3 years old now, and a triban 300 (I'm a bit of a b'twin fan, you won't beat their bikes on value!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

British Cycling Zones based off of a threshold HR of 175bpm:

119-145bpm, endurance z2

145-164bpm, tempo z3

164-183bpm, threshold z4

That looks not far off of the cycling zones that strava gave me. Not sure why the zones would be different for running.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without looking in major detail, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, I imagine it'd be considerably more expensive for a set of wheels + tyres. You'd probably want to consider looking at bikeradar trade section(or whatever its called), pinkbike etc. If you have the money by all means but don't forget you'll need to switch your cassette from the rear wheel. Easy enough as long as you've got the tools but you'd still need to do that too, if you forgot.

I know what it's like when it comes to removing tyres with tight beads but I'd be more inclined to just switch tyres when I need them rather than buy new wheels. Provided it's not too often.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to say that I honestly hadn't really considered changing the cassette.. that sounds less simple than I thought initially!

Honestly, money's not really an issue, it's more that I just don't really want to store 2 bikes... maybe it might just be better to rent... I don't know, I need to think it through a bit more I think!
Original post by Mike the MOG
That looks not far off of the cycling zones that strava gave me. Not sure why the zones would be different for running.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they're correct now. 164-183bpm for zone 4. 175-194 was hard to believe.

Zones for running, swimming, rowing etc. will all be different in general. Lactate threshold is specific to each movement/exercise. From what I've read, generally one's running threshold HR is higher than one's cycling threshold HR, which is higher than swimming etc.

For me, 165bpm is steady jogging, whereas 165bpm cycling I start to feel burning and it's harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hothedgehog
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to say that I honestly hadn't really considered changing the cassette.. that sounds less simple than I thought initially!

Honestly, money's not really an issue, it's more that I just don't really want to store 2 bikes... maybe it might just be better to rent... I don't know, I need to think it through a bit more I think!

Changing cassette isn't that difficult. You need a chain whip and a cassette tool. Adjustable spanner possibly depending on what cassette tool you get. Such a simple task. Insert cassette tool into lockring, place chain whip onto cassette teeth to prevent it from rotating when you turn the cassette tool anticlockwise. Comes off fairly easily. Simply use the cassette tool to screw the lockring back on. Once I have the wheel off I can switch it in probably 2 minutes flat.

Well, can't say I'm super well versed in wheels and tyres. I've bought my own but the wheels were on the basis of replacing my one and only pair and I think I got a good deal. It wasn't as a second pair, which possibly wouldn't be an issue to you. And I've only owned slicks for 2 years. Barely removed them.

Perhaps get some tyres first, give changing them a try. If the bead isn't too tight it shouldn't be a problem switching them over. Pain in the arse, granted. Def gonna want a floor pump. I'm beginning to see your point now. Totally forgot about having to pump them up each time. Ummm.... Pass. Someone else might be able to help more. Bikeradar? I get the concept behind wheels but in terms of what you need from rims and hubs for your purposes? Not so sure. What size are your wheels? 26"? 700b/c/whatever? I actually have a spare set of 26" wheels. Nothing special. Old stock wheels but I could give them a look and see if they're useful. And don't not sure exactly what kind of ground you're covering so not sure what tyres would work either. Something not quite like knobbly MTB tyres perhaps?
(edited 8 years ago)
Changing cassette isn't that difficult. You need a chain whip and a cassette tool. Adjustable spanner possibly depending on what cassette tool you get. Such a simple task. Insert cassette tool into lockring, place chain whip onto cassette teeth to prevent it from rotating when you turn the cassette tool anticlockwise. Comes off fairly easily. Simply use the cassette tool to screw the lockring back on. Once I have the wheel off I can switch it in probably 2 minutes flat.

Well, can't say I'm super well versed in wheels and tyres. I've bought my own but the wheels were on the basis of replacing my one and only pair and I think I got a good deal. It wasn't as a second pair, which possibly wouldn't be an issue to you. And I've only owned slicks for 2 years. Barely removed them.

Perhaps get some tyres first, give changing them a try. If the bead isn't too tight it shouldn't be a problem switching them over. Pain in the arse, granted. Def gonna want a floor pump. I'm beginning to see your point now. Totally forgot about having to pump them up each time. Ummm.... Pass. Someone else might be able to help more. Bikeradar? I get the concept behind wheels but in terms of what you need from rims and hubs for your purposes? Not so sure. What size are your wheels? 26"? 700b/c/whatever? I actually have a spare set of 26" wheels. Nothing special. Old stock wheels but I could give them a look and see if they're useful. And don't not sure exactly what kind of ground you're covering so not sure what tyres would work either. Something not quite like knobbly MTB tyres perhaps?

I'm not going to get a chance to check up the details about this until after the weekend (taking my scouts on camp!) but I'll take a look after that and get back to you! Didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you! :P

Latest