The Student Room Group

My college tutor thinks I’m wasting my money paying for my exams

Right so I live in Wales and my college tutor wants me to sit, WJEC exams for my English and Maths but en I would have to sit in a class with others and I don’t feel comfortable with this because I am very shy and don’t have the encouragement to speak up in class to say I’m struggling.

I told her I will be sitting IGCSEs for my English and Maths that I will be doing with Edexcel but she told me if I don’t sit my English and Maths with WJEC I am wasting my money :frown:

The only problem is with my college they wont let me resit my GCSEs due to my Fs and Gs in my GCSEs. To resit in the college you need a E or an D.

I don’t know what to do I am really confused about the situation.

My tutor made a comment as this, if you do not resit you will have limited career paths in the future.

What I want to do for my career is become a mobile app developer but according to my college I still need GCSEs for that :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you can’t get GCSEs ,your best option is joining an apprenticeship scheme and developing practical skills while building a good future.
Reply 2
Original post by Mustafa0605
If you can’t get GCSEs ,your best option is joining an apprenticeship scheme and developing practical skills while building a good future.

I don’t get it tho because my brother failed all his GCSE’s and his a web developer so it makes no sense really
Original post by BizzFrog22
I don’t get it tho because my brother failed all his GCSE’s and his a web developer so it makes no sense really

Can you not maybe ask your brother for advice or what his paths were when he was in this sticky situation

My brothers a pilot, doesn’t mean I’m gonna be doing that too? You need to think about what YOU want to do and set some achievable goals. What type of career do you want
Reply 5
Original post by Aadilkharl123
Can you not maybe ask your brother for advice or what his paths were when he was in this sticky situation

He told me just to look at some online programming courses and once, I feel confident enough, apply for a job
Reply 6
Original post by OR321
My brothers a pilot, doesn’t mean I’m gonna be doing that too? You need to think about what YOU want to do and set some achievable goals. What type of career do you want

Ik what I want to do and thats a mobile app developer was gonna do game development but en my passion for games would fade and that’s something I never want to happen.

Plus I just cant do exams there are a lot of people like that out there but its because the education system is so ****ed basically. They turn us into zombies by these gcses and exams
Right so I live in Wales and my college tutor wants me to sit, WJEC exams for my English and Maths but en I would have to sit in a class with others and I don’t feel comfortable with this because I am very shy and don’t have the encouragement to speak up in class to say I’m struggling.

I told her I will be sitting IGCSEs for my English and Maths that I will be doing with Edexcel but she told me if I don’t sit my English and Maths with WJEC I am wasting my money :frown:

The only problem is with my college they wont let me resit my GCSEs due to my Fs and Gs in my GCSEs. To resit in the college you need a E or an D.

I don’t know what to do I am really confused about the situation.

My tutor made a comment as this, if you do not resit you will have limited career paths in the future.

What I want to do for my career is become a mobile app developer but according to my college I still need GCSEs for that :frown:

If I understand you correctly, you do want to resit GCSE English Language and Mathematics, but don't want to do so in the resit class at college?

Instead, you would prefer to take the Edexcel IGCSE specifications. The point is, though, you can't take those specs at a publicly funded college in Wales; WJEC-CBAC is the only game in town.

But you say the college won't let you resit anyway because of your F and G grades. You say you're confused, and so am I!

What exactly is your question, please? More to the point, what are you studying in college at the moment?
Reply 8
Original post by 学生の父
The point is, though, you can't take those specs at a publicly funded college in Wales; WJEC-CBAC is the only game in town.

And we have the Welsh Government to thank for that, for making it so WJEC is the only exam board in Wales. Truly Welsh Government, thank you so much!!
Reply 9
Original post by 学生の父
If I understand you correctly, you do want to resit GCSE English Language and Mathematics, but don't want to do so in the resit class at college?

Instead, you would prefer to take the Edexcel IGCSE specifications. The point is, though, you can't take those specs at a publicly funded college in Wales; WJEC-CBAC is the only game in town.

But you say the college won't let you resit anyway because of your F and G grades. Your say you're confused, and so am I!

What exactly is your question, please? More to the point, what are you studying in college at the moment?

I am studying level 2 BTEC Computing. My question is should I listen to my tutor or pay for my IGCSEs that I can learn online and pay for my exam and get really good results.

I think if I listen to my tutor I will get more and more depressed because they wont let me resit.
The reason they wont let me resit is because they don’t want to waste money on students that don’t show they can pass the wjec exams :/

Tbf I rather be doing something to sort out my life otherwise I’ll be drowned with this negativity that the college is putting me through.
Ik what I want to do and thats a mobile app developer was gonna do game development but en my passion for games would fade and that’s something I never want to happen.

Plus I just cant do exams there are a lot of people like that out there but its because the education system is so ****ed basically. They turn us into zombies by these gcses and exams

I agree with you tbh. If you’re motivated enough you can still take your GCSES and get to where you want. I wouldn’t listen to your tutor
Original post by The Mogg
And we have the Welsh Government to thank for that, for making it so WJEC is the only exam board in Wales. Truly Welsh Government, thank you so much!!

If I had the option to resit WJEC I would do it but the colleges around wales wont let me due to my grades being so bad :/
Original post by OR321
I agree with you tbh. If you’re motivated enough you can still take your GCSES and get to where you want. I wouldn’t listen to your tutor

What the college cant see is I am determined to smash these exams but wont even give me a chance like. I think its wrong tbf :/
What the college cant see is I am determined to smash these exams but wont even give me a chance like. I think its wrong tbf :/

It is wrong. You’ll just have to go to a different school/college to do them. Prove them wrong :wink:
But they will let you attend the resit classes as a route to resitting? Publicly funded colleges are obliged to help you resit as many times as necessary to get Cs in English and Maths.

I don't know where you can sit the Edexcel exams, though? And besides, the course content for Mathematics is exactly the same as the WJEC exam, isn't it? I remember the English Lang exams are a bit different, but I wouldn't say they were easier to pass.

If you're prepared to pay for online tuition for the Edexcel exams, wouldn't you be happy to pay for a tutor locally instead? That way you could work one-on-one with someone to get you up to the level you can achieve.
Original post by The Mogg

None of the English boards were prepared to offer reformed GCSE and GCE specifications for Qualifications Wales endorsement. They were given the chance, though.
Original post by 学生の父
But they will let you attend the resit classes as a route to resitting? Publicly funded colleges are obliged to help you resit as many times as necessary to get Cs in English and Maths.

I don't know where you can sit the Edexcel exams, though? And besides, the course content for Mathematics is exactly the same as the WJEC exam, isn't it? I remember the English Lang exams are a bit different, but I wouldn't say they were easier to pass.

If you're prepared to pay for online tuition for the Edexcel exams, wouldn't you be happy to pay for a tutor locally instead? That way you could work one-on-one with someone to get you up to the level you can achieve.

My college just wont let me its really stupid I’ve even had a look at Newport college and they also said I need at least a E or an D

The tutor online will see my work in real-time and they can explain to me where I’ve gone wrong. I can also contact them to say I’m struggling on this topic and they will go over the topic for me :smile:

You can sit them in cardiff :smile:
My college just wont let me its really stupid I’ve even had a look at Newport college and they also said I need at least a E or an D

The tutor online will see my work in real-time and they can explain to me where I’ve gone wrong. I can also contact them to say I’m struggling on this topic and they will go over the topic for me :smile:

These are couple of colleges in wales53C6CEA8-A94E-448C-9519-0305E7168B87.jpg.jpegEF434481-2464-406C-AD60-6D54A8AB3BB4.jpg.jpeg

Yes, I've just looked at the Coleg y Cymoedd website. You need a D to resit there. Weird -- that's really not very helpful, is it.

Ok, if you're convinced that going down the IGCSE route is for you, I'd say ignore your tutor and go for it. Smash those exams! Like you say, you'll have to sit the exams at an independent centre in Cardiff.
Reply 19
I don't understand, isn't the only solution to your situation as simple as ignoring your tutors advice and just going ahead and registering/sitting for your IGCSE exams as a private candidate at a nearby centre? Just go ahead with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending