The Student Room Group

My college tutor thinks I’m wasting my money paying for my exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 学生の父
If I understand you correctly, you do want to resit GCSE English Language and Mathematics, but don't want to do so in the resit class at college?

Instead, you would prefer to take the Edexcel IGCSE specifications. The point is, though, you can't take those specs at a publicly funded college in Wales; WJEC-CBAC is the only game in town.

But you say the college won't let you resit anyway because of your F and G grades. You say you're confused, and so am I!

What exactly is your question, please? More to the point, what are you studying in college at the moment?

Why does your teacher say non WJEC exam board exams are a waste of time? I don’t understand
Ok I didn’t know what an IGCSE was but now I do. They are internationally recognised qualifications that uni’s recognise and you can move on to A Levels with them.. so, perhaps your teacher is saying that they don’t feel that you will be able to engage with them without a lot of support given your current grades?
Original post by Welshvisitor
Why does your teacher say non WJEC exam board exams are a waste of time? I don’t understand

I’m doing that exam board for BTEC and said they ain’t good at making their questions clear for students :/

But surely if you revise the questions enough you’d understand it in the end :/
Original post by Welshvisitor
Ok I didn’t know what an IGCSE was but now I do. They are internationally recognised qualifications that uni’s recognise and you can move on to A Levels with them.. so, perhaps your teacher is saying that they don’t feel that you will be able to engage with them without a lot of support given your current grades?

Most likely but I did my GCSEs four years ago so I think they at least give me chance :/
I think you’ll struggle without GCSEs in English and Maths, even for app development. Development in general is often very mathsy, even basic UI development involves it. If you can afford to resist them and believe you’ll pass, then do it. It’ll help you so much in the future.

Just for some context about me: I’m still in college, but I have experience co-founding a medium-sized tech company that does iOS apps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending