The Student Room Group

I failed my english literature edexcel coursework what do I do

Hi, I did really bad in my coursework for english literature and got 12/60 which i’m pretty sure is a U. First of all what happens if I fail my coursework entirely and will I still be able to get a B with this coursework grade? I was going through a really tough time when we were writing our coursework and I can write a lot better now getting constant B’s in mocks for english and A’s in essays I hand in for hw that I do in my own time but I’m just really scared if I will even pass Eng Lit like this
Reply 1
you do a level right? if you do, the spec says that coursework is 20% of your grade (with paper 1 and 3 30% each and paper 2 20%) so take that into consideration. my teacher always told us that coursework just gave us a boost.

obviously I can't say for certain but I'd say for now focus on doing the best you possibly can in your actual exams so that you can get the maximum amount of marks possible so that if your coursework mark DOES affect your grade its minimised. make sure you have good solid quotes, know your context VERY well and have good critical quotes to discuss in paper 1. go into your exams with a positive mindset and dont worry too much about your coursework, you've still got the power to change your grade!!
Reply 2
Original post by eatmya55
Hi, I did really bad in my coursework for english literature and got 12/60 which i’m pretty sure is a U. First of all what happens if I fail my coursework entirely and will I still be able to get a B with this coursework grade? I was going through a really tough time when we were writing our coursework and I can write a lot better now getting constant B’s in mocks for english and A’s in essays I hand in for hw that I do in my own time but I’m just really scared if I will even pass Eng Lit like this

I've done something really similar to you, I got a high D in my coursework but got an A in my AS results. I'm trying to work out if I can still get a B to get into university. But my mode of thinking right now is if I work really hard in the two exams I have left, I will outweigh the 20% that my coursework is worth. After all, 80% of your grade is exams and if you're doing really well in them it should even out. Look into your grade boundaries and see what you need and work towards the highest level possible! Don't stress (I'm trying really hard not to at the moment) but look at what you have control over now and see what you can do to improve!
Reply 3
tysm! i had no idea i got any replies so soz for the late reply lol, i'm trying not to stress too much i think i just need to work on time management and get those quotes rlly memorised so i dont spend too long on that ao3 context i think i'm fairly good at and taking early stuarts history definetly helps so let's just pray it does lol good luck to you too if ur also doing exams :smile:

Original post by zws
you do a level right? if you do, the spec says that coursework is 20% of your grade (with paper 1 and 3 30% each and paper 2 20%) so take that into consideration. my teacher always told us that coursework just gave us a boost.

obviously I can't say for certain but I'd say for now focus on doing the best you possibly can in your actual exams so that you can get the maximum amount of marks possible so that if your coursework mark DOES affect your grade its minimised. make sure you have good solid quotes, know your context VERY well and have good critical quotes to discuss in paper 1. go into your exams with a positive mindset and dont worry too much about your coursework, you've still got the power to change your grade!!
Reply 4
thank you sm for the sweet reply, i was expecting to get violated n here icl so this surprised me and best of luck to you for ur exams you'll definitely get a B

Original post by Amylindle
I've done something really similar to you, I got a high D in my coursework but got an A in my AS results. I'm trying to work out if I can still get a B to get into university. But my mode of thinking right now is if I work really hard in the two exams I have left, I will outweigh the 20% that my coursework is worth. After all, 80% of your grade is exams and if you're doing really well in them it should even out. Look into your grade boundaries and see what you need and work towards the highest level possible! Don't stress (I'm trying really hard not to at the moment) but look at what you have control over now and see what you can do to improve!
Reply 5
Honestly, it's no problem! Exam time is so stressful for everyone, don't get hung up on something only worth 20%, you still have control over 80%! I really hope so I'm dying to go to uni! Hope you do well!
thank you sm for the sweet reply, i was expecting to get violated n here icl so this surprised me and best of luck to you for ur exams you'll definitely get a B

hi in the same situation right now wondering how did it go?
Original post by sarapervez7
hi in the same situation right now wondering how did it go?

Not sure about the other person, but I ended up doing fine! Managed to get a B overall! Just dont stress out over it, and make sure you do your best to get your other modules up! If you did well in AS level, that makes it loads easier!
Not sure about the other person, but I ended up doing fine! Managed to get a B overall! Just dont stress out over it, and make sure you do your best to get your other modules up! If you did well in AS level, that makes it loads easier!

that’s so great i’m glad to hear well done!! yes i didn’t do as levels but i have 3 exams to prepare to get my grades up now, do you have tips that you used that got you that grade B?
Original post by sarapervez7
that’s so great i’m glad to hear well done!! yes i didn’t do as levels but i have 3 exams to prepare to get my grades up now, do you have tips that you used that got you that grade B?

you will 1000% be fine if you have three exams to make up that grade!! honestly I would stress about it, I think in my a level exams after the coursework I just tried to make as many comparisons between the poems as possible and point out their differences in tone, structure and punctuation and for Shakespeare it was closed book, context was a really easy way to pick up marks in the wjec board, id give ur exam spec a look over and see what you need to focus on the most! id just pick a point and really investigate what it meant and how it showed what I was trying to argue, and through the argument try and link it to the context and the book as a whole and its relevance and juxtaposition to other parts off the novel and explore the differences ! you can do this with any book really not just Shakespeare! defo give ur exam spec a look over ands see what they are looking for an make good note of it and focus on them in the exam. for some papers you didn't even need context and for some it made up like 35 marks in a 120 mark paper, so id defo stress the exam spec ! good luck!
you will 1000% be fine if you have three exams to make up that grade!! honestly I would stress about it, I think in my a level exams after the coursework I just tried to make as many comparisons between the poems as possible and point out their differences in tone, structure and punctuation and for Shakespeare it was closed book, context was a really easy way to pick up marks in the wjec board, id give ur exam spec a look over and see what you need to focus on the most! id just pick a point and really investigate what it meant and how it showed what I was trying to argue, and through the argument try and link it to the context and the book as a whole and its relevance and juxtaposition to other parts off the novel and explore the differences ! you can do this with any book really not just Shakespeare! defo give ur exam spec a look over ands see what they are looking for an make good note of it and focus on them in the exam. for some papers you didn't even need context and for some it made up like 35 marks in a 120 mark paper, so id defo stress the exam spec ! good luck!

ahhhh thank you so much for taking your time to write all this and all these tips amazing tips!! thank you it has helped me a lot & encouraged me!! :smile:)) hope all is well in whatever you are doing!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending