The Student Room Group

'best'/'decent' unis that I could get into with A*BC

Firstly, I know that what's considered a good uni is subjective but I'm looking for ideas and rough estimates.
I've had a really tough time with health over the last few years from year 12 onwards hence why I didn't make my application for uni then.
Fortunately I'm ready now to apply to start in 2020 but I'm a bit nervous about where I could actually get accepted and where I'd be wasting my application, especially as I already have the grades, they're not predicted.
I'm not expecting to get into Oxbridge or LSE or anything but is it going to be a waste of time to apply somewhere like Exeter, Bristol, Queen's Belfast or some of the better/more highly thought of non-rg unis?
I'm in Year 13 and sent off my application on the 18/10 so I'm not an expert but I hope this helps! It really depends on the course you want, but I think places like Staffordshire and Chester are still good Unis, but require UCAS points rather than grades. You have really good grades, though, so I think pretty much any course/unis that you know that consider applications case by case rather than by computer would be best!
Original post by imaginaryrunes
Firstly, I know that what's considered a good uni is subjective but I'm looking for ideas and rough estimates.
I've had a really tough time with health over the last few years from year 12 onwards hence why I didn't make my application for uni then.
Fortunately I'm ready now to apply to start in 2020 but I'm a bit nervous about where I could actually get accepted and where I'd be wasting my application, especially as I already have the grades, they're not predicted.
I'm not expecting to get into Oxbridge or LSE or anything but is it going to be a waste of time to apply somewhere like Exeter, Bristol, Queen's Belfast or some of the better/more highly thought of non-rg unis?

A*BC really isnt a bad set of grades, despite what people might lead you to believe. You have A) extenuating circumstances to aid your application and B) 5 uni choices to use! A*BC is the tariff equivalent of ABB which, dependent on subject, is good enough to get you into a lot of RG unis. If the extenuating circumstances are taken into account you may well be made an offer for courses asking for higher: you might as well try applying to the unis that appeal to you. Seeing as you have your grades, the offer will be unconditional so you dont need to worry about getting 2 offers to have an insurance. For instance, it could be worth applying for 2 unis asking for slightly higher, 2 unis at or equivalent to your grades and one below them

Also, it depends what context the grades were achieved in. If you went to a state school and your neighbourhood is poor and sends few people to uni, your application will be flagged and given extra consideration. For example, I applied to Durham and Exeter for a course asking for AAB and contextual data means my offer is reduced to ABC / BBB respectively (although i have not yet obtained my grades)

If your school were aware of your health issues and will mention them in your reference (or you have evidence from a doctor) you would probably qualify for extenuating offers from unis which are a little lower than their normal offers. What subject are you applying for?

Original post by prssrules9
I'm in Year 13 and sent off my application on the 18/10 so I'm not an expert but I hope this helps! It really depends on the course you want, but I think places like Staffordshire and Chester are still good Unis, but require UCAS points rather than grades. You have really good grades, though, so I think pretty much any course/unis that you know that consider applications case by case rather than by computer would be best!

Hi @imaginaryrunes
Just picking up on what @prssrules9 said, it does depend on the kind of course you are applying for as to the entry requirements. The best thing to do is just get in touch with the Admissions teams in your shortlist and get to as many open days as possible to chat to staff and students about the experiences. Good Luck! ^SK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending